Newcastle (A) | Wed 27th Sept | EFL Cup | Post Match Thread

I don't, actually feeling even worse after listening to the first five minutes of drivel on tS, another bullshit about us being smashed as the best way to beat us, get into our faces, us being out being good for the game, etc.
danny leave one on them murphy
i havent listened to day but can guess after forest and first 15 minuts of second half they'll get free licence off red howard

I just can’t find it within myself to get worked up in any way about this one.

No Haaland, de Bruyne, Bernardo, Rodri, Dias, Stones, Walker, Ederson - all undisputed starters in our best team, and our entire Senior Leadership team either rested or out.

Pep’s comments before the game, which are as clear he’s ever going to be that the League Cup is bottom of our priority list this season.

How little I think about the Southampton game last season amongst what what the most successful season in our history (and one of the most successful in English football history).

I feel pretty much the same as I do with pre-Season friendlies. Never like to see us lose, of course, but in the context of the season I just can’t find the emotion needed to care all that much.

Maybe that makes me spoiled, as for most of my life I’d have killed to watch us win just one League Cup - but there it is.

Onwards and upwards.

The exit is not the issue here. The lack of chances when 1 down was embarrassing. Posters bleating on about changes ,second string etc are forgetting Newcastle made wholesale changes too. Grealish as a senior player was astonishingly bad, rubbish in fact. A few others not far behind. A few years ago we were delighted to win this trophy now like the red cunts we are acting like it's a meaningless pot. That's not City.

Maybe a controversial point, sorry if you feel that but, I thought that football was a team game? We play as a team, we win as a team, we lose as a team. So we can’t blame one or even two or three players. :-)

Having just come out of hospital I know that it wasn’t just the doctor who helped me to recover, it was a team, a team of nurses, doctors, carers, cleaners and porters amongst others. Same for City. It’s a team.

I always hate us to lose but we have to be philosophical we are still THE BEST TEAM IN THE LAND AND ALL THE WORLD! :-)
Well said EB.

Random thoughts

Kovacic and Grealish being back and getting minutes in their legs was the biggest positive for us.

Nobody got injured

It was a competition we simply couldnt win this season with the World Club Cup scheduled in Dec at the same time as the QF, so diving out immediately isnt the worst thing. Plus playing the next rnd at United wouldve meant 2 derbys at Old Trafford in the space of 4 days, and likely a half-arsed team selection from Pep - no thanks

In a game where we were 1 down Pep played the last 20 mins with no recognised striker on the pitch, and Erling sat with a blanket on his knees. That alone tells you how much he wanted to chase the game.

Would love Kalvin to succeed but he simply doesnt have the range of passing we need to play in the pivot role in our system - in his defence few do - but he just doesnt move the ball quick enough, or have the range that Rodri has and Ferna did.

Sergio Gomez simply isnt good enough and never will be. Nice chap Im sure but he needs shifting on in Jan when the new Argentinian left back allegedly arrives.
Generally agree. Think with Kalvin it’s more his speed of thought than anything else but it must be hard for him barely playing.
I was unhappy with Grealish and, admittedly with little evidence, I’m wondering if he has the same hunger. Didn’t like him being publicly pissed for a week in public in his mid 20’s after the treble.

Let’s reverse roles a minute, both in terms of result, performance, selection, substitutions and injuries, obviously we’d of taken the result, but at what cost ? Would we have been happy with that performance ? I doubt it, would we have been happy bringing on Haaland and him getting injured ten minutes later ? No, we’d have been universally apoplectic, several Newcastle players limped off that pitch, including Guimares (their best player) and no doubt they’ll be counting the cost in their next few games, Howe rolled the dice to win a LC 3rd round game, mainly because we were so dominant and they were at home, his hand was effectively forced, it’s why Pep looked so bemused with their tactics, and remonstrated with their bench

From a Newcastle POV it looked very much like two second strings in the first half and then we brought on two players who arguably the most important to the way we play and you didn't. We upped our intensity, our aggression and our ambition.

It felt huge because of the team we put out in the first half (Midfield was both young and inexperienced, defence had Lascelles and Paul Dummett in it.) and that team beat 'Man City'. I know I kind of ignored the fact that it was a Man City side without De Bruyne, Haaland, Rodri, et al.

It also meant we'd knocked out the very best side in the competition which we hoped would mean an easier route to the final. Of course then we get drawn away to Man Utd (who apparently have had 12 home consecutive home draws in the League Cup? Chances of that happening randomly are 0.02%). Of the 30 possible draws, this has to be the 3rd hardest. I guess we can look forward to Liverpool or Arsenal if we do manage to put away your neighbours.

Anyway, I hope everyone who made it to Newcastle had a good time regardless of the result.
We put out a team that wouldn't score in a month of Sunday's but did look good keepingbthe ball in tight spaces for ys, it was a great training exercise would never beatbypu when you bring on your most effective first teamers 20 mins b4vwe did. Our changes..Doku etc. Token gesture last ten mins. Gor you, your second stringbstruggled to keepnthe ball... Gordon way better than our reserves tbf...class and what pace! Thats the future blistering pace..beat the rags now but i have to say i think Pep was takibg a huge gamble away...with that team..deserve thevwin in the end but City should have been 3 up tbf

From a Newcastle POV it looked very much like two second strings in the first half and then we brought on two players who arguably the most important to the way we play and you didn't. We upped our intensity, our aggression and our ambition.

It felt huge because of the team we put out in the first half (Midfield was both young and inexperienced, defence had Lascelles and Paul Dummett in it.) and that team beat 'Man City'. I know I kind of ignored the fact that it was a Man City side without De Bruyne, Haaland, Rodri, et al.

It also meant we'd knocked out the very best side in the competition which we hoped would mean an easier route to the final. Of course then we get drawn away to Man Utd (who apparently have had 12 home consecutive home draws in the League Cup? Chances of that happening randomly are 0.02%). Of the 30 possible draws, this has to be the 3rd hardest. I guess we can look forward to Liverpool or Arsenal if we do manage to put away your neighbours.

Anyway, I hope everyone who made it to Newcastle had a good time regardless of the result.
We had a nice evening out anyway and another great chinese in a little cafe we found in chinatown last season.

Good luck in the tournament. I'd be quite happy if you won it because I know what it feels like to win a trophy after decades without.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.