Newcastle Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Champions league will really open the door for them to spend for a proper title push
We were lucky, we won the FA cup and qualified for the champions league. FFP was background noise. The modern day reality is with FFP, finishing 4th eclipses a FA cup win. Although winning their first trophy since 69 might be more enjoyable.

My old team mate Dan Ashworth great acquisition as well.

Dan seems to be a good fit for us. I always worry about people in his position undermining the manager, that doesn't look likely. So far all of the people we've brought in look to be good people.

We were lucky, we won the FA cup and qualified for the champions league. FFP was background noise. The modern day reality is with FFP, finishing 4th eclipses a FA cup win. Although winning their first trophy since 69 might be more enjoyable.

I'd take either 4th or a cup, winning any cup would be really good for the club having waited for so long. I wouldn't mind qualifying for the Europa Conference as that looks reasonably poor in the early rounds, the drawback is playing on a Thursday.

I'd take either 4th or a cup, winning any cup would be really good for the club having waited for so long. I wouldn't mind qualifying for the Europa Conference as that looks reasonably poor in the early rounds, the drawback is playing on a Thursday.
Back in 2011, when we won the FA cup i couldn't give a fuck about the chimps league, our first trophy since 76 against your lot, what joy, however FFP did not exist. Still in your position i would rather have a glorious day out at wembley, and see what the future brings.

Back in 2011, when we won the FA cup i couldn't give a fuck about the chimps league, our first trophy since 76 against your lot, what joy, however FFP did not exist. Still in your position i would rather have a glorious day out at wembley, and see what the future brings.

I was too young to go in 76 so had to watch it on TV. I have been to Wembley a few times since then and only seen us win in the shitty Football League Centenary Tournament in 1998. We beat Liverpool on penalties and then lost to Tranmere who were in the old 4th division, happy days.

Wembley has not been kind to Newcastle recently, I think it would be good to change that.

I was too young to go in 76 so had to watch it on TV. I have been to Wembley a few times since then and only seen us win in the shitty Football League Centenary Tournament in 1998. We beat Liverpool on penalties and then lost to Tranmere who were in the old 4th division, happy days.

Wembley has not been kind to Newcastle recently, I think it would be good to change that.
Pretty sure you will see some happy days in the coming years, your owners have not bought the club to finish mid table. Albeit the yank owned red tops trying to stop any competition.

Pretty sure you will see some happy days in the coming years, your owners have not bought the club to finish mid table. Albeit the yank owned red tops trying to stop any competition.

What we're doing now is great as we're winning a few games, having said that, I still expect that we're going to get beat at some point before every single game.

I don't expect that everybody is going to rate Howe, personally I would struggle to rate him any higher based on what is now almost 12 months in charge. So much was broken at the club before he arrived. I think we had problems in every area of the club and he came in under new and inexperienced owners and he’s had a hand in virtually everything. Amanda Stavely and Mehrdad Ghodoussi hadn’t ran a club before, Jamie Ruben had previously worked at QPR but I don’t know how much micro-management he was involved with.

Maybe the experience Howe gained at Bournemouth has been perfect for us as he’d had to get involved in everything there, including spending his own money on things he needed for the first team to work properly. I’m sure he had to go out and buy basic things like whiteboards, post-it-notes, etc for when he was working with players because the club wouldn’t/couldn’t invest.

Bournemouth in those days was probably the perfect apprenticeship for a new and young manager, he’s only 44 now and will manage his 600th game in the second half of this season. His win percentage record (47.62%) for us is better than what Sir Bobby (46.67%) achieved at his time at the club and second only to Kevin Keegan (54.98%) in our recent history, I don’t include Chris Hughton (59.38%) in that as most of his games were outside of the top division.

I hope you're right, it's been a long time since we've actually won anything. We were close a few times and just couldn't go that extra mile.

Its strange watching Newcastle develop, watching a club with middle eastern owners, from the outside.

I'm really interested to see how others view what we're doing, especially from people who don't have an axe to grind because they didn't get our owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.