Newcastle Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon they should be all over Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans from Leicester. I think all three would move as well

As said above by Mick. Shelvey, Longstaff, Hayden and Hendrick are not good enough for where the Geordies want to go.

I think Burn is not a bad player. Has his uses but is not a left back. Much better at centre half but definitely a player who would stay around even as a squad player and not grumble so a good option to have.

I doubt that we would try to get Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans in one window but wouldn't say no. Tielemans looks like the obvious one for me, having said that we were chasing Maddison in the Summer and we don't usually give up on targets if we're not successful in the first window. We went back and got Botman during our second window and we tried to bring in Ekitike before he decided to go to PSG. Luckily, we seem to miss a few targets who turn out not to be as good as we’d hoped and get the ones who work out well. I don’t know if that is just good luck or if these players aren’t being managed when they move or are going to clubs that don’t suit them.

I’ve got no problem with Burn playing in the centre of our defence other than that Botman is much better and is much younger.

We had a huge problem with our squad age when Ashley left as he didn’t want to spend money on new players so we were extending contracts of the older players that we already had. Howe has acknowledged that this is a problem for us and we’ve said that we want to reduce the average age of the squad. We were screwed during the first transfer window as we had to go for experience which in turn meant that we had to bring in players that we may not have wanted to bring in under ideal conditions.

Last edited:
I might do a long post during the World Cup when things are quiet to go over our journey from Ashley to PIF/PCP/RB Sports if anybody is interested. I would imagine our journey will be quite similar to your own journey.

The owners have put in an extra £70.4 million this morning, this is on top of £40 million they put in during the second half of last season. No real detail is given as to how the money will be spent, the training facility upgrade will take some of it, maybe they're looking to buy some land for future projects.

Additional capital to further finance investment in infrastructure and day-to-day operations

The ownership group, comprising PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media, has invested a further £70.4 million of equity into Newcastle United FC. This investment brings the ownership group’s investment to date to over £450 million.

The capital injection follows a wide range of investments in the club that has seen an upgrade of training facilities, improvements to St. James’ Park and recruitment of a number of senior executives to build out the commercial operations of the club, as well as investment in the playing squad.

Further investment is expected which reflects the ownership group’s long-term commitments for Newcastle United.
Darren Eales, CEO of Newcastle United, said: "We are at the beginning of a long-term plan that aims to build a club that can compete consistently at the highest levels of English and European football.

"We need to develop the whole business, as well as the playing squad. And we need to do so while adhering to the Financial Fair Play rules. This additional investment further enables us to continue implementing the business plan."
I don’t know if you’re aware, Mick, but, as much more knowledgeable posters than me have mentioned, investment in infrastructure doesn’t count against FFPR, so Staveley and co. can pump as much as they want into St James' Park facilities.

I don’t know if you’re aware, Mick, but, as much more knowledgeable posters than me have mentioned, investment in infrastructure doesn’t count against FFPR, so Staveley and co. can pump as much as they want into St James' Park facilities.

Thanks, I'm aware that infrastructure, training facilities, women's football and youth development don't count towards FFP. I can only guess that the money which has gone in to the club today will be used for a number of things.

Isn’t that changing soon?

I don't think they've changed as much as was first talked about, infrastructure was mentioned as being included and that didn't happen. I know the amount that you're allowed to lose is going from £30 million to £60 million and you can only spend 70% of turnover on players wages.

I reckon they should be all over Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans from Leicester. I think all three would move as well

As said above by Mick. Shelvey, Longstaff, Hayden and Hendrick are not good enough for where the Geordies want to go.

I think Burn is not a bad player. Has his uses but is not a left back. Much better at centre half but definitely a player who would stay around even as a squad player and not grumble so a good option to have.
Should sell them Grealish. €10. Was going to say €12 but I'm feeling generous.

I doubt that we would try to get Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans in one window but wouldn't say no. Tielemans looks like the obvious one for me, having said that we were chasing Maddison in the Summer and we don't usually give up on targets if we're not successful in the first window. We went back and got Botman during our second window and we tried to bring in Ekitike before he decided to go to PSG. Luckily, we seem to miss a few targets who turn out not to be as good as we’d hoped and get the ones who work out well. I don’t know if that is just good luck or if these players aren’t being managed when they move or are going to clubs that don’t suit them.

I’ve got no problem with Burn playing in the centre of our defence other than that Botman is much better and is much younger.

We had a huge problem with our squad age when Ashley left as he didn’t want to spend money on new players so we were extending contracts of the older players that we already had. Howe has acknowledged that this is a problem for us and we’ve said that we want to reduce the average age of the squad. We were screwed during the first transfer window as we had to go for experience which in turn meant that we had to bring in players that we may not have wanted to bring in under ideal conditions.
Tielemans is a fantastic player, that Hun twat isn't using him properly (apologies for the language), I'd genuinely love to see him at a good team.

Out starting 11 tonight just shows how poor we are when you move away from us being at full strength. 7 of the 11 are not good to be starting at this level, we can get away with 1 or 2 playing together but that's our limit.

Manquillo, OK as backup, nothing else.

Lascelles, OK as backup, nothing else, he worries me every time he playes as he's like an octopus.

Burn, OK as backup, nothing else, he's slow, has the turning circle of a battleship and has proven once again tonight that his head is useless, every touch after a Burn header is a touch by the opposition. He's a bit of a fans favourite because of where he was born.

Longstaff, OK as backup, nothing else, he's too slow, he can't tackle and his passing is off far too often. He can have a good game, the problem is that it's too infrequent.

Shelvey, OK as backup and very like Longstaff except that he has a free kick and has more experience.

Anderson, he needs to go out on loan as he's not up to speed yet. He's the only one in this list that I would look to keep long term if he can go out and prove himself.

Wood, OK as backup, he scored a good goal at the weekend but doesn't do it often enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.