Newcastle United (A) - Post-Match Thread

Dermot Gallagher said no way was that a penalty at half time on the Spurs game.
Thought Owen was going to burst out crying.
This Dermot Gallagher?

I agtree with this, though it did look like it was an obvious penalty for many reasons but...

If a full back had the ball and was running ou of the box and, totally associated with the play, a Centre Back decks the centre forward, does the ref give a penalty even though the full back was yards outside the box? I'd suspect not, I think he red card the Centre Back and restart with a drop ball. If this scenario assumption is correct then it was not a penalty but maybe a booking for Eddie?
It would be a penalty in that scenario.

Maybe not a classic, but its another tough away game chalked off, 3 points, 4-goals, all's good in the hood!
The ref had a clear view of the forward initiating the contact by changing direction towards the keeper. The disdainful way the ref responded to the theatrical begging for a pen spoke volumes. A yellow card for diving should have been given. Conning the ref is not new, the scale of it is though.
It invariably goes unpunished, and until this changes, will only get worse...
I remember Sterling, a man who generally doesn't dive, having clear penalty shouts waved away on many occasions over recent years.
This all stemmed from when, instead of kicking the ball, Sterling accidentally kicked the turf (which he admitted to) and he couldn't win a penalty for love nor money for a long time afterwards having gained an unjust reputation as a diver.
Yet others who continually cheat and try to con the ref get penalties awarded as a matter of course.

Maybe not a classic, but its another tough away game chalked off, 3 points, 4-goals, all's good in the hood!
The ref had a clear view of the forward initiating the contact by changing direction towards the keeper. The disdainful way the ref responded to the theatrical begging for a pen spoke volumes. A yellow card for diving should have been given. Conning the ref is not new, the scale of it is though.
It invariably goes unpunished, and until this changes, will only get worse...
I remember Sterling, a man who generally doesn't dive, having clear penalty shouts waved away on many occasions over recent years.
This all stemmed from when, instead of kicking the ball, Sterling accidentally kicked the turf (which he admitted to) and he couldn't win a penalty for love nor money for a long time afterwards having gained an unjust reputation as a diver.
Yet others who continually cheat and try to con the ref get penalties awarded as a matter of course.

not that it would of made a difference, that was 100% nailed on penalty, anybody saying it isnt is barmy, eddie took fraser out, doesn't matter if the ball is there or not, its a penalty .

It's an odd one but the rules change that often no wonder everyone's confused. I've seen our players barged in the back with no attempt to play the ball and nothing given. Cancelo had the ball and the situation under control when Eddie, still sliding, made contact with Fraser. I would imagine that's why it wasn't given. Our manager and goalkeeping coach needs to have a serious word with Eddie though I have no idea what he was doing. He did the same at Brighton too. A goal back for them then would have lifted the crowd and made for a more difficult afternoon.

This is just wrong. A free kick offence can be anywhere on the pitch, and you can't commit DOGSO 100 metres from the goal. And a penalty is just a direct free kick offence by an opponent in the opponent's penalty area.

None of that has changed in over 100 years except it can now be a foul even if it was accidental.

That decision yesterday was absolutely nothing to do with DOGSO.

Nope. And it is the only metric that mattered as well as whether Fraser could have gotten to the ball. If VAR took a look at the play, then they evaluate based on what I wrote. Its logic. Its the only reason they decided it wasn't a penalty. Why are you on about this? Its over. Done. The board has moved on as have I.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.