Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

View attachment 53512
That is the exact definition of a straight red in the laws of the game

High & out of control. Doesn’t matter if there’s intent or not, or if he seriously injured Kev or not

Fernandinho really didn’t make a single challenge like that in any game as far as I can remember, so to say he did it every game is a little odd to say the least
Cynical and cowardly challenge , if this type of tackle is continued to be allowed the treatment tables will always be busy , imagine if Walker had done the same tackle to St.Maxonegameaseason, it wouldnt have even gone to VAR , straight red , do not pass go.

View attachment 53512

High & out of control. Doesn’t matter if there’s intent or not, or if he seriously injured Kev or not

Fernandinho really didn’t make a single challenge like that in any game as far as I can remember, so to say he did it every game is a little odd to say the least
VAR was supposed to stop that very type of foul, not provide cover for it. Fucking disgusting, imagine that was Salah on the receiving end?

View attachment 53512

I never like players getting sent off for a late foul, but when you are out of control and both feet off the floor you are in dangering a major injury to the player even if you say there was no malice,

it's a red card, not a soft yellow
everything you see is why the rules say it's red, why VAR made the match official overturn it is a joke
did they think there was on contact ? I think that's what they were looking at and not the player out of control with both feet off the ground, it's late, it's from behind, it's out of control, it's dangerous, both feet off the ground, it's a red card

If Newcastle fans and the media are deluded enough to think Almeron is a good player then more power to their elbow , because he is absolutely shite , the goal he scored he knew nothing about and he just runs about a lot and plays to the crowd , i wouldnt let him put the cones out if he trained with us.
Grealish was 100% right , if any of our players are having an off day they should be made to wear a shirt with Almeron on the back , he looks like a muppet and plays like a muppet , he will be one of the first out the door as Newcastle continue to uprade their squad.
Andy Hinchcliffe called it a great finish. Smh

View attachment 53512

Dinho fouled tactically but not in that fashion.

Trippier admitted he was making a tactical foul but he's made a desperate knee high lunge to do so. If the wording of the laws of the game don't make that a red, they should do. Not got time to check that.

Cynical and cowardly challenge , if this type of tackle is continued to be allowed the treatment tables will always be busy , imagine if Walker had done the same tackle to St.Maxonegameaseason, it wouldnt have even gone to VAR , straight red , do not pass go.
I don’t actually think it was an horrendous tackle as Kev was running away from him, it was more of a trip

However, regardless of whether it was bad or not, that’s immaterial, as it was high & he had 2 feet off the ground. Last time I read the laws of the game, it was a straight red for anything high & anything which was deemed to be reckless or out of control (mostly defined be having 2 feet off the ground)

With Mike Dean last week & whoever Var’ed our game, it makes you wonder how anyone can be so incompetent

They need to make it all transparent so we can hear & understand how the fuck they are getting to these decisions

I don't come on here to wind people up but I''ve seen some really sour grapes in here regarding the VAR decisions, maybe the people commenting will think differently if they watch the game again. The referee today should feel ashamed of himself getting so much wrong. Our first goal was never off-side and Trippier should never have been given a straight red, the tackle was with the top of his foot and was never going to cause a serious injury. I also thought that we could have had a penalty when Schar was brought down towards the end of the first half (I think it was then).

I'm more than happy to get a point from that game as you're easily the best team in the world and we've come a long way in a short space of time. I'm glad that you got the first goal and not us as I think we would have lost if we'd scored in the 5th minute.

Today was the first time that we’ve actually had a go at you for a long time. We played better at home to Forest but today was better when you consider the opposition in both games. In the end I thought that a point was well deserved, and a draw was a fair result. You can complain about some of your players maybe not being as good as others who could have started but we could say the same. Targett instead of Burn and the second and third goals possibly don’t happen because Burn was ball watching for both, that’s life we can all look at goals and pick fault but that’s football and not everybody is 100%.

Pope played well for us and that’s why we brought him in because he’s a huge upgrade for us and he’s shown that in the last two games. Saint-Maximin played as well as he did against Forest at home, probably slightly better, he’s’ changed his game slightly and is now passing instead of trying to do everything on his own. Joelinton put in a massive shift for us in midfield and Bruno had to take care once he got that early yellow and his game was reduced because of it.

We are much fitter under Howe, we could never have played like that under Bruce as the players were dead after 30 or 40 minutes after him and we have a game plan. We’ve only lost once at home since New Year and that was 0-1 against Liverpool so you not winning is not a massive surprise even though I thought that was the most likely result before the game.

I think both of our teams can and will get better as we play more games. Both teams are making massive changes. You’re getting used to Haarland who will be a massive threat to any team once you get the best out of him and we are learning to play more in the face of the opposition and not being so passive.

We set up to have a go and deserved a point. You can see how much further we need to go with bringing in better players as our substitutions came on and offered absolutely nothing. Maybe the entertainers are on their way back, at least I hope so because we’ve been garbage for so long. I would love to see us sign Paqueta as he would give us that extra quality up front and he works really, really well with Bruno as they can read each other’s game so well and he (Paqueta) has not been the same player since we signed Bruno from Lyon. I don’t know if anybody on here watches Brazil, the game against Bolivia will help you understand what I mean by them playing so well together when they assisted each other’s goals by simply knowing their game so well. They played together for Lyon and could always find each other as they knew exactly what runs each other made.

Lastly, you’ll still win the league although you shouldn’t expect us to help you out against Liverpool without us making another couple of quality signings. Our first 11 is fine when everybody is fit, move away from the first 11 and we’re struggling, we need to replace some of our starting 11 and get them onto the bench.

God, I waffle on.

Welcome mate - it’s always good to get a perspective from the other side of the debate, and there’s nothing particularly contentious in what you’re saying.

Overall a draw does feel like a fair result, and although I thought we looked like the better team after our third - and the most likely to win it from there - a loss would have been harsh on you.

On the major refereeing decisions - I completely agree on the Almiron goal. Walker was playing him onside, and there was no handball. It was clearly a goal, and was rightly awarded. That’s what VAR is there for.

On the Trippier challenge - it was one of those that sits somewhere between a yellow and a red. It wasn’t the most reckless challenge you’ll ever see, but in my view it was high and out of control so you can completely understand why the ref gave it. I would also have understood if he hadn’t given it too.

My issue isn’t with the award, it’s with the purpose of VAR in these situations once a decision has been made. I had understood it was only supposed to intervene in the instance of a clear and obvious refereeing error, to correct an evidently incorrect decision.

Otherwise the ref is still supposed to apply their judgement - which is respected over the VAR refs.

As this was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way, there was no ‘error’ in this case. There was a ref’s interpretation on the pitch, which shouldn’t be overruled.

In most cases, I don’t expect that VAR would intervene in this context - so this is about consistency of application.

I’ll be keeping an eye on whether similar situations are dealt with differently over the course of the season - as I suspect this was a case of VAR overstepping it’s mandate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.