Newcastle United (A) | Post Match thread

I agree with this, well played Newcastle, they were well up for it and Saint Maximin was a real handful. The crowd were really engaged also. The Premier League isn't meant to be a stroll, and we fought back for a hard earned point. The vast majority of teams would have lost that game. Lets not reach the stage where we feel entitled to win football matches.
Great game, city’s fitness was amazing, the number of times they won the ball back in second half, their passing and ball control was amazing. Newcastle were so quick on the break and pressed well for 70 min but we outplayed them in the last 20 min and without Pope we would have won it. Great character, haarland offered plenty of good one twos and put in plenty of work. Altogether a great game and good point after being 3-1 in that atmosphere. Newcastle will cause plenty of upsets if that San Martin can keep it going ( reminds me of Wolves’ traore a few years back). I posted earlier that maybe we needed subs but seeing how Walker and Rodri improved in second half I think it was a big ask to come in at that pace of game. Great team efforts

Much better to scrape back 2 and draw than concede a few late after being ahead and draw.
Just a few IMOs for what they are worth:
Pep should reconsider the dueling inverted fullback experiment- it's not ideal for Walker. It is the first time I have ever seen a game he featured in where I was holding my breath every time he was challenged- St. Max appeared to be less that phased by him and Walker consistently moving into midfield means he's needing to sprint back into defensive shape which isn't exactly what Kyle needs given our lack of cover. I think Kyle looked best when we were going for broke and he was making runs down the flank like a traditional #2. I think Phil needs to feature more often in the midfield- yet that said I guess I think he should not have started yesterday as Gundo was on point and I doubt Phil could have done any more there. I'd like to see Alvarez as I think his speed and threat upfront will ultimately offer more than Phil has in that role. As well as Bernie played I think his tenacity in midfield helps our defense- absorbs the break and allows us to possess better. Stones was rusty, Ake looked great again and I hold my breath wondering how long he's out. I honesty think him getting time at LB as well as CB will allow more cover for Kyle in the form of Cancelo.

I cannot help but think we are thin in depth but also realize we have not featured Phillips yet and aside from full back I am not even sure where I would bring in a new player. Hopefully Palmer and others can get some minutes in Barca and really show he's ready to challenge for a spot. All in all I am pleased to draw a game like this where we were down as I really do not think even last year's squad or a few before it had the steel to mount that comeback. Being a team with a true 9 again is an adjustment and will take time but we are starting to click in areas. Haaland truly is a difference maker and a force for other team to reckon with that we have not had in many seasons.

Just back from Newcastle so not read all the posts therefore maybe repeating something already said.

I've heard everyone (including Gallagher) say that Trippier's foul was only a yellow but it appears that the default option with De Bruyne now is to just foul him. The first Newcastle yellow was for a similar assault by Guimaraes and that should have been a red too. No attempt at the ball, just hack him down. Hopefully someone like Fred or McTominay or (very possibly) Casemiro hacks that cheating shite Salah down tonight with a tackle similar to either of those mentioned and causes serious damage. Then see the media circus do a swift about turn

Here's why a lot of people are not happy that Trippier's red was overturned. The following shos a comparison with a tackle by Allan that was originally given as a yellow and then upgraded to a red with the subsequent ban being upheld on appeal:

Not a huge amount of difference in the two imo.

No difference at all.

VAR made a rod for their own back now.

"Clear and obvious error" undermining the Referee in game will be expected by all teams.Micro analyzing Red Cards will be expected.

Next week they will change the rules.

I think one or two misunderstood what i was saying yesterday.

Was it a straight Red maybe not.

That is what the appeals process is for.

The Ref gave a straight Red Card in game was it "a clear and obvious error".No it wasn't a "clear and obvious error".It was Studs up at Knee Height.Many referees would have given a straight Red in game.

Yet VAR in their wisdom decided to review it in game like a Penalty Call.

The Ref sent over to the Monitor,we know what he is surreptitiously told to do.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.