Newcastle United (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

Thoroughly enjoyable. Foden brilliant in central role and very impressed with Kovacic too.

Rodri excellent as usual until final 10 minutes when you could see he was completely knackered. He seems to run that defensive midfield role all game, every game with no respite. It's disappointing that Calvin Phillips can't be be reliable as a sub to help him out.

Thought we played really good, against a strong Newcastle side. Add Silva and KDB too that team and we put a couple more past them.

Phil_Foden_v_Yokohama_(Tokyo_2023).png

Considering we rinsed ourselves out on Wednesday, today was a brilliant first home performance of the season! Newcastle didn't have a key to open up our lock, albeit they were at full strength & had a week off.

Foden gave a masterclass performance & is finally showing he deserves to be playing centrally. Julian was absolutely on point too, but I've gotta save a special mention for Kovacic!

I didn't see the point in his transfer, & he's certainly not Dog, BUT playing as a double pivot/No 8, he absolutely smashed it tonight! I hold my hands up. If this is what Pep saw in Kova, it again shows what a genius he his, as I certainly didn't see it at Chelsea.

Our bench was the most worrying aspect, & shows how fragile the squad is if we get injuries, or suspensions. We've two weeks to sort it out & I'm still not averse to us going for Paqueta & really think Doku will flourish here if we get him, relying on Kyle to provide width won't work at the very highest level.

Grealish is getting back to form & Akanji was like WOW! He's no Stones, but he did himself & the team proud, & is the best pound for pound player we've bought in recent times.

Tonight belongs to Phil, with honorary mentions to Julian, Akanji & Kovacic. We take a well deserved rest & get ourselves ready to go again... )(

very encouraging. Kovacic looking every bit as good as Gundogan at little passes round the corner and being so reliable at not getting caught out. plus a bit more bite and speed even that gundog.

Gvardiol looking like a mirrored clone of Diaz, defender to his core but also stepping out like Akanji does and a few long passes that bode well.

not sure how they got that energy back but somehow they did it and firmly put Newcastle back in their box.

based on the first rounds of games - only Arsenal look anywhere potentially close to us.
Kovacic does look gundo-esque, just no where near as good … yet.

The probing snd short passing is there, im looking forward to doing it higher up the pitch, like gundo did

Absolutely fuck all on the right hand side, walker doing 2 jobs , and Newcastle fans win the day
One the train home and the only good thing was the result. Terrible welcome home by the fans for the treble winners

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.