Newcastle United (H) | Sat 19th Aug, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle will never have a better chance of ending their dismal record of defeats (and the occasional draw) against us. We're bereft of pace and ideas in the attacking third (if I see Jack Grealish receive the ball out wide and then cut back onto his right foot and play the ball backwards one more time, I may have a seizure), our talismanic striker barely touches the ball (not his fault), and we're vulnerable on the counter all the time. If Newcastle play their cards right - as Brentford, Inter and Sevilla all did - and wedge everyone in behind the ball and then counterattack quickly, they'll have a very good chance of winning. If we manage to get a result today against them, with Gunders, Mahrez, Kev, Stones, Ruben, Bernie all either departed or injured, it'll be some achievement. Really need Foden to step up to the plate today, cos on paper he looks like our only real source of impetus
True it will be a tough game, but you're so dismissive of our chances and ability to adapt :(

Im sure Newcastle will have clocked how seville easily carved us open and could have scored 2 or 3 goals

If we had the actual treble winning team playing tonight we'd piss it, but with half of them missing I'm not so sure

I can't remember the last time the odds were so short for us to pick up three points at home.

It’s only the truth. Ive not really seen anyone saying we are going to get beat, but they are rightly saying this is going to be a very tough game. I reckon, with the our absentees, transfers out and lack of transfers in at this point, this will be the toughest game we’ll have all season.

No Stones, Silva, de Bruyne, Gundogan and Mahrez for tonight’s game compared to last season is huge.

I would say we haven’t gone into a game so thin on the ground in the Sheikh’s era.

Here was our bench against Chelsea in September 2008:
Schmeichel, Ben-Haim, Garrido, Gelson, Elano, Evans, Sturridge.

Here’s our potential bench for tonight:
Ortega, Carson, Akanji, Lewis, Gómez, Phillips, McAtee, Bobb, Palmer.

If Foden, Kovačić and Grealish all need replacing for tactical reasons, tiredness or an injury tonight, who’s coming on to change the game in attacking midfield?

Newcastle are the hardest team in the league to play against. They have the potential to be our biggest title challenger this season. They’ve got the second best striker in the league and a very good midfield who are all rapid, they get from front-to-back quicker than any team in the league (and that’s what we struggle against most) and a defence that concedes very little.

They’re a better team than Sevilla and they had about five good goalscoring chances the other night.

Again, I’m not saying we won’t win because:

——————Ederson—————-
—————Dias——Aké—————-
Walker——-Rodri——Gvardiol
——————Kovačić——————
————Foden—————Grealish
Álvarez——Håland——————

…is a fantastic XI (although lacks pace with only Walker, Foden and Haaland having any). But it’s going to be a proper tough game… which makes it all the more exciting, I’m well up for it and so will the players be.
And yet you'll still hear a pundit this weekend say we have a huge squad or that our 2nd team would win the league.

eddie
walker
akanji
ake
gvadiol
rodri
foden/Alvarez
kovicic/Alvarez
palmer/Foden
Haaland
Grealish

go with Wednesday team but maybe swap one of the AM out with Julie playing Kevs role as creativity behind haaland was poor in Athens and foden on the left if out of the middle (Personally think Palmer need to given a run of games)

Ake and Gvadiol can play LB of LCB so could swap them round and put Josko partnering Akanji if anyone thought we were iffy the gher day but would not myself
Akanji & Walker looked extremely vulnerable together on the right on Wednesday night. Is Dias out due to concussion protocols ??

Hopefully Bernardo is available as I don't know if he's in Portugal or not.
Phil was anonymous in Kevs position on the right but got more Into the game when he moved over to left.
If Pep plays the 5-5 formation then Lewis is a better fit at RB & Akanji doesn't have to be as far forward, if not I'd like us to play similar to Arsenal at home with Rodri & Kovacic as a double pivot & Phil or Alvarez playing off Haaland.

Today we're playing against one of the best teams in the league, so this is a significant test to see where we currently stand in this season so far. I'm not sure who is injured besides Kdb, but it would be great if Stones and Dias could handle the match. But I'm positive about the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.