Newcastle United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of their new signings will just be solid back ups after the summer market, if they stay up.
Plus, maybe, a big name to put down a marker a la Robinho. Players will be attracted once the threat of relegation has faded.

They have but they were always going to have to do that to stand a chance, their defensive unit was championship standard if we're being generous. Their signings aren't eye catching but they're solid pros that know the league well, they've limited the risk of them taking time to gel by buying known quantities.

I can't agree with people suggesting it was a poor window for them because they didn't sign a big name, that was never likely to happen and was never going to keep them up. They've had a good window and given themselves every chance of staying up.

I dont think its a poor window for them as the players they have bought will help them and 2 or 3 are an upgrade. Tgey need to stay in the PL first and foremost. However there is no guarantee the Brazilian will hit the ground running as per another poster mentioning Ndombele, also that Soumare has been ok, nothing special for Leicester and he was brilliant last season.

Also so many new defenders thrown in can have their own issue and I think they could have got a much better forward than Chris Wood.

To fight to stay up what they have bought is decent enough if they click quickly enough

Suprised they didn't take a punt on erikson tbh.

The Brazilian is a good signing. From what I have seen he could play for any top European club. However it could take him months to settle. Ndombele came from Lyon and never settled at Spurs.

Newcastle only have to improve a little to survive and getting in some defenders is a bit boring but a good idea. if Saint maximin stays fit, they will score goals. Up until now they keep conceding. Whether their defensive signings are good enough is difficult to say. I think their full backs are OK but not sure at centre back. IMO they have enought to stay up.
You say he could play for any top club....but in your previous post, you said you have seen him once? Get a scouting job if you rate a player that well after one game lol
Tripper is half decent, better than what they had......Targett is pants, championship standard, Villa couldn't wait to get shot and upgrade.
Burn is better than they have...but not by alot.
Wood again is pants, Wilson fit for half a season is probably better than Wood for a full season.
I'd say, overall it helps their squad depth more than improves the team.

Strongest squads in order

City
Liverpool
Chelsea
United
Spurs
Arsenal
Leicester
West Ham
Wolves
Villa
Everton
Brighton

I'd put all of these teams squads above Newcastle's current squad. I think with this January window, they have closed the gap massively and are in the same bracket as Leeds, Palace, Southampton, Brentford now. They just need to gel.

Strongest squads in order

City
Liverpool
Chelsea
United
Spurs
Arsenal
Leicester
West Ham
Wolves
Villa
Everton
Brighton

I'd put all of these teams squads above Newcastle's current squad. I think with this January window, they have closed the gap massively and are in the same bracket as Leeds, Palace, Southampton, Brentford now. They just need to gel.
I would add Palace and begrudgingly more so, Southampton to your list.....at least....they really are shite!

So some Twitter warrior tweets

"mason greenwood sounds like he'd fit in nicely with Newcastle United's new owners"
Now deleted

Ended with this

Seems he was responsible but it wasn't his fault

The proof will come in the next few of games really.

As someone who's an interest in Newcastle, I'm not entirely sure the window was particularly good, or bad. Their defence is poor and whilst I rate Trippier I think he would be a good player at City but might not be what they need at Newcastle. Burn is a decent signing, but in all honesty he's another footballer and I think they probably needed someone who's got a bit more steel and determination about them.

Woods will be an interesting one. I think he's an old fashioned donkey if I'm honest and other than being big and strong, I've never thought he was particularly good. I think Newcastle have inadvertently done Burnley a favour and they've pocketed some money and picked up Weghorst who looks the better player. I don't understand why Newcastle weren't in for him for £12m - I'd have even considered him for us!

I think my biggest problem is the manager though. Eddie Howe looks a good manager on paper, but he's not a "scrapper" and I think they are still in for a scrap. Burnley are able to make any game awkward. Watford are always able to sack a manager and get a bump and Norwich have surprised me with a few wins recently. I just don't see him as firing up the fans or the players.

Ultimately, they have to make sure they get a good 10 point gap to the bottom 3 now as once they get into March they have Chelsea away, Palace at home, Spurs away, Wolves at home, Leicester at home, Norwich away, Liverpool at home, City away, Arsenal away then Burnley at home. I don't see them getting many points from that fixture list as it stands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.