Newcastle Vs City post match thread

Len Rum said:
warringtonblue said:
Great result yesterday, other than a few hairy moments towards the end, looked in complete control

My only concern is the referees seem to dish out yellow cards to us for challenges that the opposition get away with, 5 yellows yesterday was way out of order in context of the type of game it was
Looking at Gareth Barry on Saturday, if he'd have still been playing for us he'd have been sent off
Agree totally with your assessment of the card happy ref, but I can't accept we were in 'complete control' of that game.
Newcastle had six good chances in that second half. On another day we could have easily drawn or lost that game.
You could of course say the same about our rivals Dippers and Arsenal , and I'm sure lack of match fitness played a part which hopefully won't be an issue now.
However what worries is me is that we don't seem to have it in our locker to play a game out when we're one up. Everton last season being a classic example, which we won but were constantly inviting the Blue dippers on to attack us. We don't frustrate the opposition by keeping possession , winning fouls, corners etc. and slowing the game down. We give the ball away cheaply both from open play and goal kicks,throw ins etc and then end up dropping deep and defending desperately, usually giving fouls away.
We need to become a bit more 'street wise' in this respect. In the Champions league we will get punished if we don't improve in this area.

Seriously

grim up north said:
Len Rum said:
warringtonblue said:
Great result yesterday, other than a few hairy moments towards the end, looked in complete control

My only concern is the referees seem to dish out yellow cards to us for challenges that the opposition get away with, 5 yellows yesterday was way out of order in context of the type of game it was
Looking at Gareth Barry on Saturday, if he'd have still been playing for us he'd have been sent off
Agree totally with your assessment of the card happy ref, but I can't accept we were in 'complete control' of that game.
Newcastle had six good chances in that second half. On another day we could have easily drawn or lost that game.
You could of course say the same about our rivals Dippers and Arsenal , and I'm sure lack of match fitness played a part which hopefully won't be an issue now.
However what worries is me is that we don't seem to have it in our locker to play a game out when we're one up. Everton last season being a classic example, which we won but were constantly inviting the Blue dippers on to attack us. We don't frustrate the opposition by keeping possession , winning fouls, corners etc. and slowing the game down. We give the ball away cheaply both from open play and goal kicks,throw ins etc and then end up dropping deep and defending desperately, usually giving fouls away.
We need to become a bit more 'street wise' in this respect. In the Champions league we will get punished if we don't improve in this area.

Seriously
Err....yes.
Not being negative, but I genuinely think this is an area where we are weak and need to improve.
Yesterday, Everton and last ten minutes of Arsenal last season where we lost basic discipline of keeping possession and allowed the opposition to come onto us.

Len Rum said:
grim up north said:
Len Rum said:

Seriously
Err....yes.
Not being negative, but I genuinely think this is an area where we are weak and need to improve.
Yesterday, Everton and last ten minutes of Arsenal last season where we lost basic discipline of keeping possession and allowed the opposition to come onto us.
You want us to turn into Chelsea?

Seriously?

Len Rum said:
grim up north said:
Len Rum said:

Seriously
Err....yes.

I thought tiredness was a big factor in the second half.

Don't really think slowing the game down suits us against inferior opposition, I was hoping we would push a bit more for the second goal.

Len Rum said:
grim up north said:
Len Rum said:

Seriously
Err....yes.

I'm more than happy the way we play, we entertain whilst getting the required result

ColinLee said:
Len Rum said:
grim up north said:
Seriously
Err....yes.
You want us to turn into Chelsea?

Seriously?
No , I don't want us to turn into Chelsea, I just want us to be more disciplined in keeping possession and not giving the ball away cheaply ( and that includes from dead ball situations), also being a bit more 'savvy' in winding the clock down when we're in a winning position.
That's not being 'Chelsea' , what's good about giving the ball away in the later stages of a game?

When we take a first half lead against mid/lower table sides their biggest worry is being humiliated. If they're still only one down after 75mins it gives them a huge lift particularly if we're trying to shut up shop.

warringtonblue said:

Couldn't believe he didn't get a second yellow!! UFB, even though I like the fella!

Apologies if already posted

The new Willy Caballero song aired at Newcastle

<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/iF0THx6H7N0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/iF0THx6H7N0</a>

Well I am more than happy with that display yesterday, considering the cobwebs are still there and need blowing away, we dealt well with a feisty opposition on their turf and came away comfortable winners.
This season is going to be a great one for us and I cant wait to watch it pan out. They need to establish a base camp half way up towards the away section at Newcastle, I was fooooked when I got to the top ;-))

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.