Newcastle Vs City post match thread

Dribble said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I appear to be he only one who thought we were a long way from our best yesterday, I thought we were extremely sloppy at times, gifting them possession, and we only played with tempo in very short bursts. Having said that, it was a great result and I expect us to get better and better.
I don't think anyone is claiming that we were at our best or even near it, I think its more collective relief that we avoided slipping on a potential banana skin of a match with all things considered.

TBH, I wouldn't have been too surprised if we were beaten yesterday, but I think the lads showed great character during a difficult first match of the season. At our best no. Near our best no. A professional performance gaining 3 points whilst we play ourselves into full match fitness and form yes.

Àlso like to add that after watching the recording of the match that if it wasn't for Fernando, it might well have been a different result. In one move Kompany was out of position and clearly flagging, but Fernando came racijg in at high speed to get a foot in on a shot that would have beaten Hart. For me he was the main difference and driving force behind our professionql performance.

Someone mentioned he reminded them of NDJ when he first came to City. No chance! It was only his first match but I can't ever recall us have a defensive centre midfielder with all the attributes he showed yesterday. Pace, power, skill, awareness, tackling ability and passing ability, Fernando showed the lot.

If he continues like this, I think he'll replace Fernandinho as first choice in a 2 man midfield. Having said that, based on what I saw of them both yesterday we're blessed to have 2 players of such a high standard in our current team.

I agree he was excellent but he won't be replacing Fernandinho.

He will instead compliment him and allow him (and Yaya) more freedom to do their thing.

Bluwhit said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I appear to be he only one who thought we were a long way from our best yesterday, I thought we were extremely sloppy at times, gifting them possession, and we only played with tempo in very short bursts. Having said that, it was a great result and I expect us to get better and better.

We'll be on our game for the first match of the Champions Lge.

Players were told to not over exert - it was another pre-season type performance. As you say we'll get better.

Not so sure Newcastle are as good as some posters think though. I think they'll struggle.

Delighted with the 3 points. Off & running (well nearly running) ;)

Spot on re the timeline bud.

The CL is proper 'getting it' this season.

I think we've got enough to win it.

What a fantastic win! An away game where we could easily have expected to slip up, especially after several players had had a limited pre season. Scored 2 great goals; loads of pluses - Dzeko, Clichy, Fernando in particular - and came away with the points without getting anywhere near 'top' gear. That is going to give the squad massive confidence, and we will only get better and better.

Bring on the mickeys! If we get 3 points next Monday and put Rogers back in his box, what a start that will be - especially with Chelsea and the Arse just round the corner.

Exciting times again brothers!

warringtonblue said:
Great result yesterday, other than a few hairy moments towards the end, looked in complete control

My only concern is the referees seem to dish out yellow cards to us for challenges that the opposition get away with, 5 yellows yesterday was way out of order in context of the type of game it was
Looking at Gareth Barry on Saturday, if he'd have still been playing for us he'd have been sent off
Agree totally with your assessment of the card happy ref, but I can't accept we were in 'complete control' of that game.
Newcastle had six good chances in that second half. On another day we could have easily drawn or lost that game.
You could of course say the same about our rivals Dippers and Arsenal , and I'm sure lack of match fitness played a part which hopefully won't be an issue now.
However what worries is me is that we don't seem to have it in our locker to play a game out when we're one up. Everton last season being a classic example, which we won but were constantly inviting the Blue dippers on to attack us. We don't frustrate the opposition by keeping possession , winning fouls, corners etc. and slowing the game down. We give the ball away cheaply both from open play and goal kicks,throw ins etc and then end up dropping deep and defending desperately, usually giving fouls away.
We need to become a bit more 'street wise' in this respect. In the Champions league we will get punished if we don't improve in this area.

free kick spray foam.

how come the ref marked out the kicks the geordies had, though not really ours?

is this part of that 'genda I keep hearing about?

Didsbury Dave said:

What did you expect? first game away from home, we did look a bit rusty at times but that is what I expected, however we were not as rusty as I thought we would be

Marked improvement on the week before - although I was't expecting otherwise. We've given the rest of the premier league and the pundits food for thought. ...be interesting to see how Chelsea do tonight now given they seem to be everyone's favourites.

I don't want to curse it but I can see us really embarrassing Liverpool next week

Good win, fitness levels will have to improve but surely will. Hope Newcastle improves too and catches few of our rivals at least at home. Pretty sure they will be in top10.

Vs Liverpool it will be very different tho, we cant have the Fernando-Yaya midfield duo as Yaya basically probably is on 20% in form and condition. Pool midfielder running around him, pressing him etc., we need a very strong midfield vs them and learn from ther Anfield game last season where we were completely overrun in first 20 minutes (already 2-0 down too).
Put Fernandinho or Milner in there next to Yaya-Fernando for sure.

Liked Fernando, think he will get a few red cards tho, he is going in real hard for tackles, he had one two footed tackle luckily got the ball but there are some refs that will act on that and not in our favour.
But the way Yaya was helping Fernando, well that was poor.

We have Fernandinho who was in the middle in Sahtar in a midfield trio, and now we have Fernando who was the base of the Porto midfield trio. I cant wait to see the midfield trio here with everyone in his "original" place and all in form, with Yaya in a much more attacking role. (Yep its taking away one attackers place-or someone's like Nasri- but gives us lot more stable midfield, less chances to opponents, bigger possession to us etc.)

Nasri to me seemed very tired, he will have better games...

Good start, our first 5-6 fixtures not easy at all, Pool, Arsenal, Chelsea all in next 4 games, surely we will have to win at least two of these big games. Or at least 1 win, 2 draws. (Stoke must win at home.)

Ducado said:
Didsbury Dave said:

What did you expect? first game away from home, we did look a bit rusty at times but that is what I expected, however we were not as rusty as I thought we would be

I expected us not to keep gifting them possession and giving away free kicks around our own box, to be honest. A better team would have made us pay.

Although I did, and do expect a slow start to the season due to the over-exertion of our stars last season. And a team with Clichy at right back is not going to have the width and penetration it should have. So I'm not kicking off about the fact that we didn't really play well, I'm just commenting on it.

Overall just getting through the game with a result was good enough for me. We will get better without a doubt.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.