Newcastle Vs City post match thread

cheddar404 said:
Marvin said:
There were some brief passages of good play from City, which combined with strong defending won us the game.

Every team seemed to be a little bit below par and with City having a lot of players involved in the World Cup it was an impressive result. I was notable that Pellegrini stressed the importance of attitude in all the post-match interviews I have come across.

It's a bit annoying that we play Liverpool so soon. I'd like another couple of weeks as it's going to take us a few games to approach 100%

By all accounts, Liverpool were pretty rusty on Saturday too.
They were. Southampton should have taken a point at least, and Palace should have taken a point at Arsenal. Good result for City to win whilst not being 100%. City are not quite in the same place as other teams in regards to preparation as we had so many latecomers from the World Cup, and our game is based on fluidity and first time pasing and movement. Our 100% is bigger than other teams 100%, therefore this shortfall in preparation narrows the gap.

Bluwhit said:
Not so sure Newcastle are as good as some posters think though. I think they'll struggle.

I too thought they were poor. They were toothless upfront. The new striker looks poor. I didn't understand why Cabella received so many plaudits. Maybe he will turn out to be a good signing but to me he was fur coat, no knickers.

Newcastle were missing Cisse and De Jong and Tiote.

Hard to judge them. They got back in the game an until the 2nd they looked capable of getting an equaliser. That's what happens when you don't make a game safe. It gives a team hope.

Bluwhit said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I appear to be he only one who thought we were a long way from our best yesterday, I thought we were extremely sloppy at times, gifting them possession, and we only played with tempo in very short bursts. Having said that, it was a great result and I expect us to get better and better.

We'll be on our game for the first match of the Champions Lge.

Players were told to not over exert - it was another pre-season type performance. As you say we'll get better.

Not so sure Newcastle are as good as some posters think though. I think they'll struggle.

Delighted with the 3 points. Off & running (well nearly running) ;)
It looked like City players were told to start strongly and a good deal was made of "mentality", or "attitude".

See this from Pellegrini

This team won the title two years ago and the next season was a disaster, it wasn’t a useful year for anyone,” the Chilean told the BBC.

“Last season, Manchester United had a disaster (finished seventh) after winning the title.

“It’s important from the beginning that we understand we won the title last season and need to win again this year.”

Didsbury Dave said:
I appear to be he only one who thought we were a long way from our best yesterday, I thought we were extremely sloppy at times, gifting them possession, and we only played with tempo in very short bursts. Having said that, it was a great result and I expect us to get better and better.

I think most people realise that we were well short of best and there were too many errors and not enough tempo. However, you could still see the quality within the team and given the amount of preseason most of the players have had, I thought it was an encouraging performance.

I think we may see City doing no more than they have to in games more often this season; especially early on: they need to pace themselves because it will be another long season if we progress / compete well in all four competitions. We'll see but, for all his love of style, Manuel may demonstrate more pragmatism this year; although I am not suddenly expecting him to turn into Jose M;-)

Didsbury Dave said:

You're not the only one. We were way too sloppy in possession and gave them too much time and space when they had the ball. Fortunately it was Newcastle and not a better team but as you say, the result is the mist important thing and hopefully we'll be a lot sharper for the next game.

Didsbury Dave said:
I don't think anyone is claiming that we were at our best or even near it, I think its more collective relief that we avoided slipping on a potential banana skin of a match with all things considered.

TBH, I wouldn't have been too surprised if we were beaten yesterday, but I think the lads showed great character during a difficult first match of the season. At our best no. Near our best no. A professional performance gaining 3 points whilst we play ourselves into full match fitness and form yes.

Àlso like to add that after watching the recording of the match that if it wasn't for Fernando, it might well have been a different result. In one move Kompany was out of position and clearly flagging, but Fernando came racijg in at high speed to get a foot in on a shot that would have beaten Hart. For me he was the main difference and driving force behind our professionql performance.

Someone mentioned he reminded them of NDJ when he first came to City. No chance! It was only his first match but I can't ever recall us have a defensive centre midfielder with all the attributes he showed yesterday. Pace, power, skill, awareness, tackling ability and passing ability, Fernando showed the lot.

If he continues like this, I think he'll replace Fernandinho as first choice in a 2 man midfield. Having said that, based on what I saw of them both yesterday we're blessed to have 2 players of such a high standard in our current team.

Marvin said:
There were some brief passages of good play from City, which combined with strong defending won us the game.

Every team seemed to be a little bit below par and with City having a lot of players involved in the World Cup it was an impressive result. I was notable that Pellegrini stressed the importance of attitude in all the post-match interviews I have come across.

It's a bit annoying that we play Liverpool so soon. I'd like another couple of weeks as it's going to take us a few games to approach 100%

Disagree about Liverpool, judging by how inept they looked yesterday and against us in the American friendly i fully expect us to convincingly beat them at our place.

Keep Sturridge and Bubbles quiet its ours.

Marvin said:

I think it's a win-win situation.

Twat them and we show everyone who the gaffer is.

Lose and it's very very early doors and won't have much effect on the final standings.

I think it's a great sign that a team that's patently not 100% fit can go to St James' and win 2-0. Silva wasn't his mercurial best,but scored, jovetic looked a wee bit slow but I thought Big Ed Dzeko was class. Fernando did no wrong, Yaya looked like he had a fridge-freezer on his back, but as we know can change a game in one destructive run!! Ominous for the other teams like according to the Pundits ,Chelsea, who will walk it with a striker who has never come up against the physicality he will experience this year!! Anti-City bias never!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.