Next academy stars?

Our fans' enthusiasm for academy players is only exceeded by our willingness to write them off once they've actually played for us...
I was thinking that the other day - loads of posts on social media slagging the club for letting some of the kids like Hamilton leave, then pulling O'Reilly apart for losing the ball on his first team debut in a midfield three of academy graduates against United first choice midfield!

I was thinking that the other day - loads of posts on social media slagging the club for letting some of the kids like Hamilton leave, then pulling O'Reilly apart for losing the ball on his first team debut in a midfield three of academy graduates against United first choice midfield!

It's crazy how quickly players get written off or criticised. We started the Community Shield with Rico Lewis (19), Nico O'Reilly (19), Oscar Bobb (21) and James McAtee (21). Rico and Bobb were superb. O'Reilly showed glimpses of his talent, lovely drop of the shoulder and touch but the odd stray pass which is to be expected. Stick him next to Rodri and amongst a stronger 11 and there's no reason he couldn't improve and step up. He's playing at Wembley in a derby having very little senior experience. You can't expect much more than what he delivered considering it was a second string against a first 11. We've got to give them time, and we should be happy that we might get to see a bit more from academy products. I was buzzing to see three local lads in the starting 11 personally, and another academy player in Bobb getting a chance too. It could be that we see Foden playing too, and we should be incredibly proud to see 4 local lads getting first team football at City. They're living our dream and should get our backing.

Mfuni, Leke Drake, Dunbar-McDonald and Finley Gorman (all 16 or under) are four to look our for

Might sound a bit negative but with possibly another attacker and a midfielder coming in, I don’t think Ndala, Susoho and Wright will make it. A year ago I would suggest Dada-Mascoll, who’s got the physicality of O’Reilly, but is a natural DM. Struggles a lot with injuries nowadays, so it’s impossible to say how far he can go
Mfuni, Drake and Dunbar-McDonald will be U17 for the new season. Finley Gorman will be U16 and has the big reputation. I expect him and another U16, who I rate very highly, to play regularly at U18 level, similar to what Mfuni did as a U16 last season.

Presumably Dunbar-McDonald is leaving as he didn’t sign a scholarship deal with us

Mfuni, Drake and Dunbar-McDonald will be U17 for the new season. Finley Gorman will be U16 and has the big reputation. I expect him and another U16, who I rate very highly, to play regularly at U18 level, similar to what Mfuni did as a U16 last season.
We've brought a few in from other clubs at u16 level (as well as Gorman, Drake).

Midwood and Noubissie are two of those who should be u18 next season too. Picked up from Sheffield U and Leicester City, respectively.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.