Next Captain

I am a massive massive Kolo toure fan and always have been. He is actually one of the the more exciting players to watch in the league imo. When he grabs the ball in midfield he charges forward like a man possessed, he did a few times against Pompey and they all shat themselves as he was charging fowaard.

Bazzmand. Yeah i like the way he's not frightened to cross the halfway line with the ball, rather than just hoof it. Seems we finally have a ball player in defence.

Seems like the best choice to me.

I do find it a bit odd though in the way this news has been presented. It has been a case of stating in an almost underhand way that Kolo will continue. Usually when a clubs captain is announced there is a little more fanfare than this and I would have expected statements along the lines of Kolo will be captain for years to come and a bit more bigging up from the manager.

bluebarn said:

I do find it a bit odd though in the way this news has been presented. It has been a case of stating in an almost underhand way that Kolo will continue. Usually when a clubs captain is announced there is a little more fanfare than this and I would have expected statements along the lines of Kolo will be captain for years to come and a bit more bigging up from the manager.

I noticed that, too. It sounds to me like Hughes hasn't made his mind up yet.

Would have been GB for me everytime. Toure will be good, I think giving him the armband will bring the best out in him and lets face it we've needed some inspiration in the back up til the new season.

Gareth Barry isn't really a captain in the traditional sense. I don't know why people keep going on about him. He's a quite lad who keeps himself to himself. Top player but Kolo makes far more sense.

Didsbury Dave said:
bluebarn said:

Or maybe he's being extremely clever because by refraining from a "Kolo is our captain" fanfare, he is in fact encouraging other members of the team to also display leadership qualities, as opposed to creating the image that it is Kolo's job, and Kolo's alone. Does Hughes have the intellect to do that, or is he simply unsure who to give the armband to? Who knows. I'd like to think it's the former.

Tricky_Trev said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Or maybe he's being extremely clever because by refraining from a "Kolo is our captain" fanfare, he is in fact encouraging other members of the team to also display leadership qualities, as opposed to creating the image that it is Kolo's job, and Kolo's alone. Does Hughes have the intellect to do that, or is he simply unsure who to give the armband to? Who knows. I'd like to think it's the former.

That's an interesting point. Maybe he is waiting for Kolo to excel in the role for a few weeks/months before announcing that he's got it for good. This could be quite clever because it will keep Kolo on his toes, but also push others to prove their worth. Although to take it back off Kolo after this length of time would probably upset him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.