Neymar

I can't get my head around the Neymar links.

He's a quality player on his day, no doubt about it but he just doesn't fit what we usually go for. We like young, hungry players who can improve and Neymar is 30.

We also have Grealish who plays that position, Foden, Mahrez and Haaland in the front line who are going to play alot of games. Neymar would also want to play alot of games so I'm not sure how you'd fit them all in especially as he plays in the same position as Grealish.

I'm not saying it won't happen and if Pep wants him then who am I to argue, but I just can't see it at the moment.
This doesn't bother me. Sterling and Jesus leaving more than frees up space for another winger:

"Neymar / Grealish - Haaland / Alvarez - Mahrez / Foden"

The worry there is that he's forcing Foden to the right where he may not be a starter over Mahrez who is more naturally suited there, but I don't think in terms of pure attacking numbers it's an issue. I would rather we went and signed a strong, young RW, though. Someone to really push with Palmer for that spot to be sorted for the future.

It makes a tiny bit of sense of you're willing to make some jumps of logic.

9320 has never done this before. He's never been cloak and dagger about a transfer. This season however, very early on, I want to say like May or so, he point blank named Sterling out and Jesus to Arsenal but then said he's heard about someone big coming but his source was sworn to secrecy on it. As I say, this isnt his usual MO in how he talks about transfers.
People speculated for a day or two then moved on. Then he came on the other day, possibly intoxicated, and alluded to Neymar.
Now, Neymar has been a problem to PSG this year in that his contract was going to roll over on July 1 which gave him an extension and a hefty loyalty/signing on bonus. One which I'm sure PSG would rather did not exist.
Transfers usually takes months from start to finish at that level. I do wonder if City and Neymars camp were having exploratory talks a few months back with 9320s guy found out about, but the Neymar camp was adamant on a much higher level of secrecy than usual. Because potentially if PSG find out he's wanting to leave then they could quick flog him before his new bonuses kick in, or argue with him about not paying them as he's leaving.

Obviously I don't know if any of this is true but it makes sense as to why a guy who has never played these types of guessing games before on the forum, this one time was very clear in that the transfer was in discussion hut he could not talk about, until now in July when presumably bonuses are paid and the cat is now out of the bag.

Or maybe he got drunk and made up a name for some excitement and doesn't want to back peddle. I dunno.

Good post but does beg one obvious question…. If this going on behind a veil of secrecy why would the poster name the player. Why not leave it at City we’re working on something big? Seems reckless and likely to potentially expose his source. Then again maybe as you speculate he was under the influence- he seemed giddy; unusually so.

He's a quality player on his day, no doubt about it but he just doesn't fit what we usually go for. We like young, hungry players who can improve and Neymar is 30.

We also have Grealish who plays that position, Foden, Mahrez and Haaland in the front line who are going to play alot of games. Neymar would also want to play alot of games so I'm not sure how you'd fit them all in especially as he plays in the same position as Grealish.

I'm not saying it won't happen and if Pep wants him then who am I to argue, but I just can't see it at the moment.
I still don´t understand why on earth we paid 100 mil for a player like Grealish and it would make even less sense if we got Neymar ,cause he is a better winger any day of the week than Jack boy.

The new PSG coach wants to reduce the squad from 26/27 to 21 players with youth players given a chance to progress.

Something has to give here.

Doesn't it sound strange? If we got Neymar it will reduce our youth players' chance to help PSG progress...

Doesn't it sound strange? If we got Neymar it will reduce our youth players' chance to help PSG progress...
Maybe our youth players are not ready. The Only 1 close is Palmer and he plays on the right.

PSG have a bloated squad full of egos and it has continued to blight their progression in the champions league. The new approach if true is all too predictable. Who knows what’s going on.

All we do know is that the new man in charge wants a smaller squad.

I agree with a lot of your reasoning, but the only thing I'd say to the bold bit is that, in recent years, the club has (to some degree or another) courted Messi, Ronaldo, and even Dani Alves. Even Kane is an example of an older, big name star that we clearly wanted very much last year (still under 30 though, so not quite the same).

I think, when it comes to really big names, the club is willing to make an exception to the focus on young players. And, like him or loathe him, Neymar is a big name. He's the closest thing we've got right now to what Ronaldinho was back in the day, and despite his age, he's still got a lot of that pace and trickery he had in his early 20s.

I'd imagine he's got a good few seasons left at the top before hanging up his boots, and that's why, at least for Neymar himself, this move would make some degree of sense. He can see that the PSG project hasn't gone to plan and he could decide to try one last big transfer, work with the coach he's always admired, test himself in a far tougher league, and see if he can have a more rewarding and fulfilling final few years.

Or he can carry on living the easy life in Paris.

I still don´t understand why on earth we paid 100 mil for a player like Grealish and it would make even less sense if we got Neymar ,cause he is a better winger any day of the week than Jack boy.

Cause he will not be used as winger but as midfielder in the future, anyway original plan is to Grealish to replace Bernardo last year because he wants to move but that didn't happen and Grealish is stuck with us playing as winger.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.