NFL?

argyle said:
But to say the game lacks skill?

The running backs have to have perfect power, speed and balance to dodge both their own 24 stone lineman and the rushing 21 stone defense lineman.

The quarterbacks have to read the defense in a split second and throw the ball accurately to wide receivers running near 20mph who themselves need to run certain routes, catch the ball being thrown at speed whilst trying not to get their heads taken off by the corner-backs.

Sounds good. Now try doing what you mentioned above with your feet. Because football (what the rest of the world calls football, a sport played with - wait for it - your feet) does all that and more with the feet.

1. Pass to quarterback.
2. Quarterback throws the ball to the running back.
3. He is tackled and the play is stopped.
4. Ten minute commercial break.
5. Rinse, repeat.

That pretty much sum American Football up?

American Football is almost as boring as baseball. And that takes some doing.

Comparing American "football" to football is like comparing Fiat to a Ferrari.

Comrade Buka said:
argyle said:

The running backs have to have perfect power, speed and balance to dodge both their own 24 stone lineman and the rushing 21 stone defense lineman.

The quarterbacks have to read the defense in a split second and throw the ball accurately to wide receivers running near 20mph who themselves need to run certain routes, catch the ball being thrown at speed whilst trying not to get their heads taken off by the corner-backs.

Sounds good. Now try doing what you mentioned above with your feet.

1. Pass to quarterback.
5. Rinse, repeat.

You got it dead on, end the thread please mods, theres no more to be said here.

TFC said:
I cant help but think he will be exposed when he comes up against an elite defence, but if I was Fox/the Broncos, I'd ride that option wave as long as i could!

Jets, Chargers & Raiders all failed to 'expose' the Broncos. Chargers were at home in a must win game. They lost.

Broncos won last week without Von Miller who has been on fire recently. Hopefully he'll be back on Sunday and get a good few shots in on Hanie.

Shame the Browns were so poor last night. The Steelers were there for the taking. Roethlisberger couldn't hardly walk - was funny watching him hobble over to hand the ball off.

Comrade Buka said:
argyle said:

Sounds good. Now try doing what you mentioned above with your feet. Because football (what the rest of the world calls football, a sport played with - wait for it - your feet) does all that and more with the feet.

1. Pass to quarterback.
5. Rinse, repeat.

Deary me, you're the second one to mention the 'football' thing which I have answered, it evolved from many sports the main one being Rugby Football. American Rules Football was shortened to Football .

Second, the NFL is one of the most competitive and cut throat sports out there today, do you honestly believe that there would be the billions spent and made from it if it was as easy as your step by step plan? Since it is that easy, why don't you give it a go, since it is such a doddle!

And where does this 10 minute break come from? The only 10 minute break is from half time. There is 40 seconds between each play allowed and a minute and half break if the ball is turned over to the other team, that is it.

I actually don't mind NFL but the adverts annoy the shit out of me.

argyle said:
Comrade Buka said:
argyle said:

1. Pass to quarterback.
5. Rinse, repeat.

Deary me, you're the second one to mention the 'football' thing which I have answered, it evolved from many sports the main one being Rugby Football. American Rules Football was shortened to Football .

Lol, well Rugby Football is just as stupid. Your point?

argyle said:
Second, the NFL is one of the most competitive and cut throat sports out there today, do you honestly believe that there would be the billions spent and made from it if it was as easy as your step by step plan? Since it is that easy, why don't you give it a go, since it is such a doddle!

Physical fitness or fatness, depending if you run or block, has nothing to do with the boredom factor of the sport.

Taking the skill factor from one extreme to the other, doesn't really help your argument. Reminds me of people who say: Have you ever been into politics? No. Well, you can not argue politics then.

That is your logic, yes? If I can not play AF, it proves it is a sport that requires skill?

argyle said:
And where does this 10 minute break come from? The only 10 minute break is from half time. There is 40 seconds between each play allowed and a minute and half break if the ball is turned over to the other team, that is it.

Exaggeration maybe? Probably because it feels like 10 minutes. To be honest I have never lasted a full game of NFL, despite trying on a number of occasions.

In any case it is a one-dimensional sport for me.

I am sure a stamp collector would argue the excitement of collecting stamps. Fair play. The nature of the beast.

All this idiotic talk of football v soccer in terms of why they are called what they are is exactly that; idiotic! Who do you think invented the word soccer and called their game that? Two clues; they speak English but they're not American!

As a Chargers fan I hope the Donks crash and burn with Tebow sooner rather than later. Only in the AFC West could we still be in with a shout of reaching the playoffs but we might well get there if the Broncos and Raiders have their legendary fuck ups ;)

Comrade Buka said:
argyle said:
Comrade Buka said:

1. Pass to quarterback.
5. Rinse, repeat.

Lol, well Rugby Football is just as stupid. Your point?

I don't get your argument.

argyle said:

[/quote]Physical fitness or fatness, depending if you run or block, has nothing to do with the boredom factor of the sport.

Taking the skill factor from one extreme to the other, doesn't really help your argument. Reminds me of people who say: Have you ever been into politics? No. Well, you can not argue politics then.

That is your logic, yes? If I can not play AF, it proves it is a sport that requires skill?[/quote]

Again, I don't get you argument. The game is highly skillful, your argument is that just because you can't play the game means it it not skillful.

argyle said:

[/quote]Exaggeration maybe? Probably because it feels like 10 minutes. To be honest I have never lasted a full game of NFL, despite trying on a number of occasions.[/quote]

Well then your argument is void, if you haven't given a full game a chance and you feel that a minute and half is far too much.

In any case it is a one-dimensional sport for me.

I am sure a stamp collector would argue the excitement of collecting stamps. Fair play. The nature of the beast.[/quote]

I'm not gonna bother trying to change your mind if you feel the NFL is like stamp collecting.

not sure if this thread is to discuss the merits of the game, or to provide a forum for fan discussion?

If the latter, NFL bashing is out of line.

argyle said:
Comrade Buka said:
argyle said:

1. Pass to quarterback.
5. Rinse, repeat.

It's a 40 second clock between plays if the game clock is still running, it's 25 seconds if the game clock is stopped.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.