Niall Quinn - Goal and Penalty Save 1991

My 1st ever memory of a city game was us scoring in the first 10 minutes against Livarpool but it was disallowed. I was really scared when we scored because I was a small boy and the Kippax was a proper scrum and packed. I didn't even know it had been disallowed. Anyway David Fairclough the ginger striker came on with about 10 minutes left and scored their winner for them so its good getting evens from your memory of that game.
Ray Kennedy, not Fairclough scored at Maine Road

Thanks for that mate. I was half way down the Kippax and it was bloody mayhem..especially when the ref disallowed the opener...it was the 1st time I'd experienced volatility like that close up. The ref must have been related to one of the current Premier league refs. Anyway that year would put me at 12 years old. My first game. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Alf Grey - never forgotten, never forgiven.

Unbelievable achievement to both score and save a pen in the same game at such an elite level ... it's not given its due credit and if it happened today, Sky would embellish it to a much wider audience ... I remember travelling up to Sunderland v Spurs game the day after I attended the last Maine Road derby ... Quinn was introduced to the Sunderland crowd at half time after officially retiring and I was gobsmacked at the 'love' he was shown through the warmth of the long standing ovation ... I naturally led the ovation as he was a former City player and I shared this with every Sunderland supporter within hearing distance ... he raised something like £1 million for various charities and handed the cheque over at half time ... he was a 3 club man at Arsenal, City & Sunderland and I, like many City fans, don't 'warm' to him due primarily to his punditry when on mature reflection is tad harsh ... he comes across as a really decent human being and was a great pro for City helping us finishing 5th TWICE in the early 90's under Peter Reid ... great memory by a great player ...
I might be in a minority here, but I don't get the antipathy towards Quinn.

The snide punditry thing never really sat with me. I think what might be more true is that he didn't gush about us like some thought he might/should.

Great servant for us, seems like a really good person and great commentary on the Aguero goal (he is genuinely so excited and happy he can barely speak - listen again, his heart rate must be over 180 bpm like the rest of us that day).

Won 2-1.

The result relegated Derby, we also relegated Sunderland in the next home game.

Saunders who missed the penalty, signed for Liverpool along with Mark Wright in pre season. We played Liverpool at home the first home game of the season won 2-1 again with Saunders missing another penalty at the Platt Lane end.
Also missed one against us when he played for Villa

I might be in a minority here, but I don't get the antipathy towards Quinn.

The snide punditry thing never really sat with me. I think what might be more true is that he didn't gush about us like some thought he might/should.

Great servant for us, seems like a really good person and great commentary on the Aguero goal (he is genuinely so excited and happy he can barely speak - listen again, his heart rate must be over 180 bpm like the rest of us that day).
I agree. Just because he doesn't fawn over us like some ex players do doesn't mean much to me because he was a good player who scored some cracking goals, probably scored more headers(pro rata) than any other City player. Loved singing his song, one of my favourite City player songs and unlike some blues I bear no alice towards big Quinnie.

I remember when a mate and I dreamt up a plan to get to games when it was a sellout game or we were skint. My mate borrowed his dad's spare wheelchair and I pushed him into Maine Road 6 or 7 times. 2 quid for the helper(me) and free for person in wheelchair, bargain, a quid each! Can't remember the game but we were put behind the touchline about 10 yards from the dugout nearest to Platt lane. Quinn's scored a pearler foom about 30 yards out and my mate leapt out of the chair like a spring salmon punching the air in delight. "STFU and sit down or you'll get us chucked out" I said. We didn't get chucked out but I think it was next game or one after we turned up met by a (wry smiling) steward who quipped "not today lads". Ah well, was good while it lasted : )

Last edited:
You know Saunders has a bit of a rep for exaggerating stories, well he spoke about this penalty and said that when Coton took him out, he actually broke Saunders leg, but he picked himself up, placed the penalty in the top corner and Derby won the World Cup
How many pens has Saunders missed against us?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.