Niall Quinn - Goal and Penalty Save 1991

That sounds like the LC semi first leg 80-81 season, Kevin Reeves scored what seemed like a perfectly good goal, the Kippax went berserk, I was at the top near the steps it was mayhem, only for the goal to be disallowed for some none existent push. They won 1-0, with a goal from a soft free kick. The second leg was 1-1 with Dave Bennett hitting the underside of the bar late on. Great season, my first watching City.
Thanks for that mate. I was half way down the Kippax and it was bloody mayhem..especially when the ref disallowed the opener...it was the 1st time I'd experienced volatility like that close up. The ref must have been related to one of the current Premier league refs. Anyway that year would put me at 12 years old. My first game. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Top keeping by Quinn, a bloke that size narrowing the angle by being halfway to the 6 yard line by the time Saunders had struck it! One of many things from that era that sadly you wouldn't get away with these days.
Saunders (allegedly a Blue) had sequence of missing penalties against us IIRC

I genuinely don’t ever remember the Kippax being as full as it was that day versus Sunderland (in my time as a Blue)
It felt like there was 50,000 on it and everyone around us was laughing at the attendance organised by Swales Bingo Machine which seemed to be half of what was really there.

Unbelievable achievement to both score and save a pen in the same game at such an elite level ... it's not given its due credit and if it happened today, Sky would embellish it to a much wider audience ... I remember travelling up to Sunderland v Spurs game the day after I attended the last Maine Road derby ... Quinn was introduced to the Sunderland crowd at half time after officially retiring and I was gobsmacked at the 'love' he was shown through the warmth of the long standing ovation ... I naturally led the ovation as he was a former City player and I shared this with every Sunderland supporter within hearing distance ... he raised something like £1 million for various charities and handed the cheque over at half time ... he was a 3 club man at Arsenal, City & Sunderland and I, like many City fans, don't 'warm' to him due primarily to his punditry when on mature reflection is tad harsh ... he comes across as a really decent human being and was a great pro for City helping us finishing 5th TWICE in the early 90's under Peter Reid ... great memory by a great player ...

I must have watched the end of season video with this save about a hundred times. I think we finished 5th that season iirc.

Between the 70's and the 2008 takeover one of the best players to wear the city shirt! Was treated terribly by
Peter Swales and Francis Lee!

That sounds like the LC semi first leg 80-81 season, Kevin Reeves scored what seemed like a perfectly good goal, the Kippax went berserk, I was at the top near the steps it was mayhem, only for the goal to be disallowed for some none existent push. They won 1-0, with a goal from a soft free kick. The second leg was 1-1 with Dave Bennett hitting the underside of the bar late on. Great season, my first watching City.
In all my years watching us that decision remains the most baffling. I went with my brother and we along with the rest in the Kippax knew what would follow. I went to the return and we woz honestly robbed.

I must have watched the end of season video with this save about a hundred times. I think we finished 5th that season iirc.

We finished above the rags if I remember correctly. But then it was 1991 and I don’t remember much from around then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.