Niall Quinn - Goal and Penalty Save 1991

I missed this game as I was at a wedding. A friend, Bolton fan, told me that he had a radio to keep up with the football. We were at the bar when Quinn saved the penalty. Happy days.

2 brilliant away performances, was there for both.
The Tues night win at Villa Park was just about the end for Dr Joseph Venglos who was sacked soon after iirc
The Sunday match at Villa Park was even more special as Villa were top of the league, going for the title ,we were near bottom. Right from kick off you could sense City were up for it, even when we went a goal down...we were up for it ,backed by a vociferous away crowd, we smelt blood . Will never forget the celebrations on the away terrace ,and Peter Reid got the winner right in front of us !.
The 2-1 game was special because we knew we had a good team again, we might of only got a couple of seasons out of them, but it was good times.

Was in the Kippax for that one.

I loved Quinny at the time. Shame he's turned into a bit of a twat since.
He doesnt seem to like us very much these days but was quality as a player for us that season. Wasnt too enthused when he signed but a debut goal and 20 league goals in 90/1 showed what he was capable of. His autiobiography suggests he was fond of a pint or two.

It's even better because it's Dean Saunders who took the penalty.
You know Saunders has a bit of a rep for exaggerating stories, well he spoke about this penalty and said that when Coton took him out, he actually broke Saunders leg, but he picked himself up, placed the penalty in the top corner and Derby won the World Cup

He doesnt seem to like us very much these days but was quality as a player for us that season. Wasnt too enthused when he signed but a debut goal and 20 league goals in 90/1 showed what he was capable of. His autiobiography suggests he was fond of a pint or two.
He certainly was quality, right from day one , his debut on a night match v Chelsea,I can still remember watching from the Kippax terrace as this gangly ,somewhat akward looking, No.9 took a long pass from the back,chested it down to his feet and calmly played the ball out to the left wing , before immediately heading into the penalty area...sure enough, when the high cross from the left came in,there was Quinn to head home at Platt Lane end.

His heading ability was well known, soaring ,towering headers at Anfield( in the last minute 2-2!) ,and Highfield rd Coventry, gaining us a valuable away point...and an opening day win respectively.

However ,during his time with us I came to realise how skilful on the ground he was too. There was an outrageous 20 yard volley scored at Spurs in a 1nil win,and quite a few neat ,drilled ,clinical goals...with either foot...put away superbly in the corner of the goal,just where the keeper couldnt reach it...

I mention all this because before he signed for us he was seen as a bit of a donkey by general football fans.Kendall wisely saw the value of a strong tall centre forward and based City's 'style of play' around him....

My 1st ever memory of a city game was us scoring in the first 10 minutes against Livarpool but it was disallowed. I was really scared when we scored because I was a small boy and the Kippax was a proper scrum and packed. I didn't even know it had been disallowed. Anyway David Fairclough the ginger striker came on with about 10 minutes left and scored their winner for them so its good getting evens from your memory of that game.
That sounds like the LC semi first leg 80-81 season, Kevin Reeves scored what seemed like a perfectly good goal, the Kippax went berserk, I was at the top near the steps it was mayhem, only for the goal to be disallowed for some none existent push. They won 1-0, with a goal from a soft free kick. The second leg was 1-1 with Dave Bennett hitting the underside of the bar late on. Great season, my first watching City.

He certainly was quality, right from day one , his debut on a night match v Chelsea,I can still remember watching from the Kippax terrace as this gangly ,somewhat akward looking, No.9 took a long pass from the back,chested it down to his feet and calmly played the ball out to the left wing , before immediately heading into the penalty area...sure enough, when the high cross from the left came in,there was Quinn to head home at Platt Lane end.

His heading ability was well known, soaring ,towering headers at Anfield( in the last minute 2-2!) ,and Highfield rd Coventry, gaining us a valuable away point...and an opening day win respectively.

However ,during his time with us I came to realise how skilful on the ground he was too. There was an outrageous 20 yard volley scored at Spurs in a 1nil win,and quite a few neat ,drilled ,clinical goals...with either foot...put away superbly in the corner of the goal,just where the keeper couldnt reach it...

I mention all this because before he signed for us he was seen as a bit of a donkey by general football fans.Kendall wisely saw the value of a strong tall centre forward and based City's 'style of play' around him....
I was at all them games, Quinn’s debut was also memorable cos the floodlight between the Kippax and Platt Lane failed mid game, was like watching an episode of the Twilight Zone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.