Nigel Gleghorn

As a pundit I've seen worse but I've definitely seen better. My main gripe with the kid is that he presents the post match phone in. He can't hold the show together at all. His links are awkward and terrible.

Why isn't anybody alongside him? Even that Liam who reads the texts out (the one who sounds like a rag) would do a better job.

salfordblues said:
As a pundit I've seen worse but I've definitely seen better. My main gripe with the kid is that he presents the post match phone in. He can't hold the show together at all. His links are awkward and terrible.

Why isn't anybody alongside him? Even that Liam who reads the texts out (the one who sounds like a rag) would do a better job.
I agree when he was on his own he was s***.I would prefer Jimmy Wagg miles better and a true City fan

Blue Theatre said:
I actually like Nigel Gleghorn on the radio, but he doesn't pretend for one minute to be a City fan. It is just a job to him.

On Saturday I was listening on the drive home and he actually called us "Man City" on two occasions - a bit of a giveaway that he is a long way from thinking of City as "us".
Also, he has said more than once on GMR in the past that he is a Sunderland fan.

But I like him because he does say some interesting things sometimes, and is fairly outspoken ... but at the same time, it is a shame / odd that GMR can't find someone who actually supports or feels close to City to do the job.

And yes, he does have a bee in his bonnet about Mancini - not sure why.

And I'm afraid I'm not in the Fred Eyre fanclub ... he really is negative, and always sounds like being at a City game is the last thing he'd want to do. He has this perverse need every game to pick a player on the opposition team and spend 10 minutes of the game telling us all how good he is and how he'd like to see him at City. Whereas with our own players, he is largely sarcastic and uses words like "typical" a lot.
His downbeat, sarcastic, fed-up tone seemed fitting when we were watching Alan Ball or Stuart Pearce's teams ... but it just isn't right for a team with Sergio, Silva, Yaya, etc.
It really isn't !

Surely someone younger and more enthusiastic / energetic is what we need these days ?
this describes most match day going city fans ive come across tbh. thats why i like him, hes one of us and hes an old pessimistic, typical city fan.

why must gmr have a pundit on thats largely pro city all the time? we'd all be lured into this false sense of of being picked on all the time and being treated un fairly by officials...oh wait.

Another thing I hear numpty nigel say to a caller when I was on the way from the match was "so did Maicon actually play any part in either of the goals" - which was his way of saying Mancini's substitutions did not actually play any part in our win on Sunday - this is utterly juvenile and pathetic, as anyone who was at the match and not bearing a grudge against Mancini would have to admit that bringing Maicon on completely changed the momentum of our performance and the likely outcome of the game.

Most local radio stations would be accused of being biased in favour of their local team's manager, but we get one who is blatantly one-eyedly biased against our manager (yes the one who has won us our first trophies in decades) - and to add insult to injury has got an appalling communication style, mumbles and stumbles through everything he says, and frankly is to free flowing radio punditry what peter fletcher is to sensible community stewarding.

BringBackSwales said:
Most local radio stations would be accused of being biased in favour of their local team's manager, but we get one who is blatantly one-eyedly biased against our manager .

Ever thought that you might be the one eyed one? ;-)

Didsbury Dave said:
BringBackSwales said:
Most local radio stations would be accused of being biased in favour of their local team's manager, but we get one who is blatantly one-eyedly biased against our manager .

If it's accurate that he thinks bringing on Maicon was a mistake, then he's too stupid to be on the air.

Didsbury Dave said:
BringBackSwales said:

ever thought he might be your love child?<br /><br />-- Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:21 pm --<br /><br />
taconinja said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BringBackSwales said:

If it's accurate that he thinks bringing on Maicon was a mistake, then he's too stupid to be on the air.

he did not say it was a mistake, he said it did not influence the outcome of the game.

It’s not that he’s anti City (I doubt that he is), or anti Mancini (which he definitely is) that is the problem with him. He’s just the shittiest of the shit when it comes to being a pundit and he’s even worse as an anchor man. Out of his depth, intellectually challenged and prone to inane, meaningless bullshit. He isn’t helped by the general quality of the callers, most of whom sound either pissed or so giddy with excitement to be on the radio they can barely get their words out. The answer of course is to turn the radio off or turn to a different station, which is a pity, because GMR is the only radio station with a programme really dedicated to City.

Hung said:
It’s not that he’s anti City (I doubt that he is), or anti Mancini (which he definitely is) that is the problem with him. He’s just the shittiest of the shit when it comes to being a pundit and he’s even worse as an anchor man. Out of his depth, intellectually challenged and prone to inane, meaningless bullshit. He isn’t helped by the general quality of the callers, most of whom sound either pissed or so giddy with excitement to be on the radio they can barely get their words out. The answer of course is to turn the radio off or turn to a different station, which is a pity, because GMR is the only radio station with a programme really dedicated to City.

It is a show which should be made to appeal to City fans, but I do not think he adds anything at all - I think Ian Cheeseman is good, Jimmy Wagg is ok, Fred Eyre is morose and negative, and not at all funny (despite his reputation) but nigel for me fails at every level:-

Never played at a particularly high level
Never coached at a high level
In my opinion tactically inept
Very incoherent and mumbling
No presentation skills
Not a City legend
Utterly biased and obsessed against City's manager
If he is intelligent he does a fantastic job of hiding it
Is not at all amusing or humorous
Has no rapport with callers, and if he did then he might get more out of them

Those are the things which come to mind, but then again I am a bit one-eyed

BringBackSwales said:
Hung said:

It is a show which should be made to appeal to City fans, but I do not think he adds anything at all - I think Ian Cheeseman is good, Jimmy Wagg is ok, Fred Eyre is morose and negative, and not at all funny (despite his reputation) but nigel for me fails at every level:-

Never played at a particularly high level
Never coached at a high level
In my opinion tactically inept
Very incoherent and mumbling
No presentation skills
Not a City legend
Utterly biased and obsessed against City's manager
If he is intelligent he does a fantastic job of hiding it
Is not at all amusing or humorous
Has no rapport with callers, and if he did then he might get more out of them

Those are the things which come to mind, but then again I am a bit one-eyed

I can’t see that anyone can argue with any of that, regardless of how many eyes you’ve got.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.