Nike Sponsorship

razman said:
FanchesterCity said:
You're absolutely right.

We do tend to have sky blue coloured specs on, but the reality is, our fanbase is small. It's growing, but both Liverpool and United have complete generations of fans all over the world. Like it or lump it, Liverpool were kings of Europe for fair while, and United garnered massive support after Munich, and managed to hold on to much of until Fergie arrived. They then gained a whole new generation of fans.

Chelsea are probably the ones we aspire to match. Sounds awful when written that way, but it's the truth. We are a good decade behind them. We're doing brilliant from where we started, but there's a long long way to go.

We have to start doing quite well in CL and winning leagues as often as we can. Marquee players are a must for us too, I wish they weren't but they are.

there is no denying this fact... its to be seen , how long would it take for us to be in a position to renegotiate this deal with them.

When we are regular CL quarter finalists, and have another 5 trophies under our belt probably.
I still think we're considered slightly 'flash in the pan' at the moment. Far more credible now that 4 years ago but still not established as such. The public are STARTING to believe we aren't going away. I think the sponsors and kit manufacturers won't be far behind them.

KinkladzeSouthampton said:
The cookie monster said:
Why would they renegotiate with 4/5 years left on the deal?
They slapped our arse good and proper

What a dumb comment, They haven't 'slapped our arses good and proper' because at the start of last year, £12 million was right around the going rate for kit deals, It's not their fault nor ours that United and Arsenal have decided to auction off their kit sponsors due to their lack of success on the pitch. People have to understand this, Despite us having a good deal of success on the pitch, We are still in the relegation zone when it comes to marketing, Worldwide and in England, If anything we have just entered the elite when it comes to marketing. In 2 years time, I guarantee you our kit deal will be £35/40 million a year, What United and Arsenal will try and do is make sure theirs is worth even more.

If the above seems like mumbo jumbo, Then i'll break it down in simple English, Who is the most supported in England right now? United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea with a dollop of City fans, I went to London a few weeks back and i started seeing the odd gloryhunter with our shirts on, Just wait a year or two hopefully with a CL or another Premier League title under our belt we will start attracting more gloryhunters from London, Kent and Ireland, Once you start attracting the gloryhunters then you can start getting the big kit deals and gain more media coverage etc etc.
Fair enough
Maybe we shouldn't of done it for 6 years at that deal.

Were we forced to go with Nike as a consequence of Umbro being swallowed up by them or could we have gone elsewhere?

Just seems strange that effectively new to the market brands like Warrior and Under Armour have offered such good deals to Liverpool and Spurs!

Certainly that Adidas deal for United makes our deal look like we're on benefits!

FanchesterCity said:
razman said:
FanchesterCity said:
You're absolutely right.

We do tend to have sky blue coloured specs on, but the reality is, our fanbase is small. It's growing, but both Liverpool and United have complete generations of fans all over the world. Like it or lump it, Liverpool were kings of Europe for fair while, and United garnered massive support after Munich, and managed to hold on to much of until Fergie arrived. They then gained a whole new generation of fans.

Chelsea are probably the ones we aspire to match. Sounds awful when written that way, but it's the truth. We are a good decade behind them. We're doing brilliant from where we started, but there's a long long way to go.

We have to start doing quite well in CL and winning leagues as often as we can. Marquee players are a must for us too, I wish they weren't but they are.

there is no denying this fact... its to be seen , how long would it take for us to be in a position to renegotiate this deal with them.

When we are regular CL quarter finalists, and have another 5 trophies under our belt probably.
I still think we're considered slightly 'flash in the pan' at the moment. Far more credible now that 4 years ago but still not established as such. The public are STARTING to believe we aren't going away. I think the sponsors and kit manufacturers won't be far behind them.

I think you can balance that argument with the fact that we have more players that sponsors want to see on the back of the shirt and that virtually all of them are decent human beings and 'good role-models'. This is true throughout the team, be that a world star like Aguero or someone like Joe Hart who is very marketable in his own right as the England keeper (as evidenced by the ridiculous amount of ads he is in). I don't think I am being biased in saying that the rags can't offer that at this moment in time. We should have negotiated a better deal.

We need to improve in CL big time.

If we just look back around at when Chelsea got rich in 2004 and see the period until Chelsea won the CL in that period all top English clubs had some great CL run, actually Pool was in final two times won it once, Arsenal had semifinal and final too, Chelsea were in a few semis, lost a final to United than won it with Di Matteo. United was in 3 finals and they were maybe in semis 1-2 times apart from those...

We have to prove ourselves in CL level thats when extra sponsors will come in big time. We are so far a very strong English team that can win the title or finish runner up in PL and win a domestic cup but does fuck all in Europe.
Some of you may say who cares about CL, but CL success builds huge global fanbase just as much as PL success. Brings in extra sponsors just as much as PL success.

If we can only do a new deal with Nike around 2018 they will look at what we have done in the CL last 5-6 years. If its nothing but group stage fiascos with some 1/8 finals thats very poor. Next 3-4 season has to be huge improvement in CL for us on previous 3 seasons...

We dont have that huge fanbase so far so we need even better some CL success than someone like United who already has the global fanbase.

el blue said:
FanchesterCity said:
razman said:

I think you can balance that argument with the fact that we have more players that sponsors want to see on the back of the shirt and that virtually all of them are decent human beings and 'good role-models'. This is true throughout the team, be that a world star like Aguero or someone like Joe Hart who is very marketable in his own right as the England keeper (as evidenced by the ridiculous amount of ads he is in). I don't think I am being biased in saying that the rags can't offer that at this moment in time. We should have negotiated a better deal.

I think there's a distinct difference between a kit manufacturer and a sponsor though. A kit manufacturer's profit from such a deal is hugely influenced by shirt sales, which in turn correlates very closely with fan base (not 100% correlation, but not far off). A sponsor is far more concerned with exposure and association with a successful, clean living club.

Obviously there's a bit of crossover, but the two are different.

You should see Liverpool and United on matchdays, full of tourists buying up shirts, and matchdays are only a fraction of the worldwide sales.

Joe Hart's global recognition is nowhere near that of Rooney. Aguero might be on a par with Van Persie, difficult to say. Man United STILL benefit from the Beckham shine! Right now, United are at a low ebb, and we are on a high, but they'll still beat us in player awareness around the world. It's take a good while to knock them off their perch I'm afraid, but brick by brick, we can dismantle them!

dobobobo said:
I'll say my piece and fuck off.

The other teams on that list (some more than others) have an established fan base in various parts of the world. The other clubs have an historical record of shirt sales, etc. which they can use as ammo in negotiations. I'm not saying City don't have a shit deal, but it aint that long since we were shit with my limited fan base. We then started to climb - then stall under Pearce - and climb some more so we got the interest of Umbro who are owned by Nike.

*Fucks off*

If you are going to make such intelligent, insightful comments as that, please don't FO!

BTW, who says the Nike deal does NOT have triggers, such as renegotiation potential or comparative values built-in? We are not talking about used car salesmen here, but world class business men who understand the value of long term relationships.

I'm constantly amazed at fans who say we are being fucked by someone or other.....YET, we love to say how the Sheikhs and the Spaniards are world class at what they do?! Slightly incongruent, isn't it?

BTW, I travel through Asia all the time and RARELY see a City shirt alongside the Barca, United and even Chelsea shirts, so we have not reached that tipping point yet. However, the deals on World Cup shirts are eye watering!!

So , not only are us fans paying through the nose for Nike's overpriced tat , we've also got the shit end of the stick when it comes to kit deals ....
fuckin brilliant work by MCFC merchandising ,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.