North Stand Construction Discussion

It's too coporate. A couple more old fashioned boozers on the way to the ground would do the job
I agree, but that’s progress unfortunately, think we just need to make the most out of what’s on offer till companies/breweries see the benefits of the new arena and look to maybe reopen some of what’s been lost, or new entities. I’m hoping for a set up similar to the darts and an atmosphere to rival it

I agree, but that’s progress unfortunately, think we just need to make the most out of what’s on offer till companies/breweries see the benefits of the new arena and look to maybe reopen some of what’s been lost, or new entities. I’m hoping for a set up similar to the darts and an atmosphere to rival it
Progress towards what though? The club has been gentrified as it is it will become unrecognisable soon

I agree. We need some proper pubs around the ground. The above description sounds like the Trafford centre.
Haha, fair doos….I’m surprised there hasn’t been any small tap room style pop ups at least, these can go anywhere, old shops, industrial units etc

Progress towards what though? The club has been gentrified as it is it will become unrecognisable soon
It’s not a club issue though, it’s a societal shift, pubs aren’t frequented like they used to be. I guess progress really means profitability, it’s not what I’d prefer, but we aren’t returning to the seventies & eighties regarding pubs/social clubs, far better to look forward and hope to improve the match day experiences than chase history, a bit like the Kippax, neither are returning in past form. I suppose the best we can hope for relatively short term is for the new hotel to have an ardwick style bar

Most of the pubs have gone. To make it work the club would have to subsidise them. The Bank of England and Mitchell Arms both closed over the last 20 years both buildings still there both need serious modernising. When I was a kid there was dozens of pubs around there. We even lost the Grey Mare since the Ethiad opened.

Most of the pubs have gone. To make it work the club would have to subsidise them. The Bank of England and Mitchell Arms both closed over the last 20 years both buildings still there both need serious modernising. When I was a kid there was dozens of pubs around there. We even lost the Grey Mare since the Ethiad opened.
Also long time closures in The Bull's Head? (Briscoe Lane) and The Gibraltar (Grimshaw Lane). Both crappy pubs but plenty of people park up around these areas.

Last edited:
Sadly I don’t see a return for most of what’s gone, you’re talking about 25-30 times a year of use for football, the arena crowd will be looking for something a lot different too. The modernisation of the Etihad & complex is trying to draw people in for a greater length of time & spend more money while they’re at it. What is a possibility though, would be for pubs/bars etc in multiple districts of the local area to form a cooperative, maybe involving supporters groups/clubs to provide a rounded offering including transport etc

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.