North Stand Construction Discussion

Interesting that those dispensations seem to have been granted in perpetuity- they should be given a time frame to comply. When the Dippers built a new main stand - didn’t anyone at the PL think to mention a large screen? Of course they didnt.
Exactly, it’s purely a financial decision by both clubs not to comply, supported by lapdog police forces

For people who essentially don't need to get home because, as you say, they are tourists anyhow.

Those people are probably staying in city centre for the weekend and in no rush to join the manc commute home.

The issue remains and will continue to do so because thousands of people just want to actually go to the game and go home, without the jumping through hoops which entails getting to and from the stadium for most games, certainly night matches when it also joins the regular rush hour.

And that was without the reduced car parking options...

It's not a flowery tow path, electric charging points for bikes or fancy pints, the fans need.

It's a committed and cohesive transport plan, something this country is absolutely shite at.
This is the rub of it for me.

For people having a big day out, it's fantastic to have these extra facilities. They look incredible, and really something for the club to be proud of.

But the reality is, for the vast majority of our match going fans, it's not a big day out going to the game. It's just part of our everyday routine, we want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

It used to take me 25 minutes to get to Maine Rd and 25 minutes to get home after. I now live a similar distance away from the Etihad and it's an hour minimum to get there including the walk from the car. An hour and a half for night games. Getting home is an hour at least.

It's become such a hassle that it's sometimes just not always worth it for the impact it has on family and work life.

200 bike stands and some weeding on the tow path is not going to make the blindest bit of difference to the transport issues. But 7k extra fans will. The larger no parking zone will. Just in the opposite direction.

I don't blame the club, I know it's full of the best and brightest minds. I'm sure they're aware that we need a serious joined up transport strategy, but they're at the mercy of the council and the tram / train operators.

There has to be a better transport solution than those proposed. It needs a big idea and possibly big investment. We've got the best team, the best manager, the best executives, the best training ground, we'll have the best stadium if these proposals come off, but we've got a 3rd rate transport solution.

You only have to look at how busy the club shop is after games with tourists and local fans to be fair. Give them somewhere after the game that is family friendly, warm and dry and does decent food and drink and it will be a huge success.
I sincerely hope so. Personally, I like to be away from the stadium to wind down the emotion of about two hours. The walk, if only to The Halfway House in Clayton, helps clear my head.

This is the rub of it for me.

For people having a big day out, it's fantastic to have these extra facilities. They look incredible, and really something for the club to be proud of.

But the reality is, for the vast majority of our match going fans, it's not a big day out going to the game. It's just part of our everyday routine, we want to get in and get out as quickly as possible.

It used to take me 25 minutes to get to Maine Rd and 25 minutes to get home after. I now live a similar distance away from the Etihad and it's an hour minimum to get there including the walk from the car. An hour and a half for night games. Getting home is an hour at least.

It's become such a hassle that it's sometimes just not always worth it for the impact it has on family and work life.

200 bike stands and some weeding on the tow path is not going to make the blindest bit of difference to the transport issues. But 7k extra fans will. The larger no parking zone will. Just in the opposite direction.

I don't blame the club, I know it's full of the best and brightest minds. I'm sure they're aware that we need a serious joined up transport strategy, but they're at the mercy of the council and the tram / train operators.

There has to be a better transport solution than those proposed. It needs a big idea and possibly big investment. We've got the best team, the best manager, the best executives, the best training ground, we'll have the best stadium if these proposals come off, but we've got a 3rd rate transport solution.

Great post. Reality is the vast majority of our match going fans don’t want to stay around the stadium for a couple of hours after a match. Most just want to get home. It’s a great option to have, but Im not fussed either way about that element

It’s before the game I’d think most fans would be using it

Great post. Reality is the vast majority of our match going fans don’t want to stay around the stadium for a couple of hours after a match. Most just want to get home. It’s a great option to have, but Im not fussed either way about that element
Thing is we don’t need the majority to stay just more than do now. Provide the right environment with sit in eating drinking facilities maybe showing later games and more will stay, after all I see a lot in the eateries in town straight after a game. Will most be match day fans, hate the tourist tag seems a bit sneery to me, of course they will, but also a fair few will be regulars too.

I don’t tend to bother with such things myself but I’ve heard multiple people say that in interviews etc. numerous players have repeatedly said that as a group they’ve decided they prefer kicking towards the North Stand second half.

Don't necessarily agree with it but if that's what the players prefer then fine. Thanks for the explanation as it's been puzzling me for some time.

Hopefully they don't switch to the South Stand after the expansion.

I don't think it's going to be that simple mate.

They're expanding the capacity by 7k. There is only room for 3k at the new City Plaza or whatever it will be called.

So assuming we sell out, it's a minimum of an extra 4k trying to bundle on to trams, buses, cars etc to get out. And that's if City Plaza is operating at full capacity!

Even if we don't sell a single extra ticket, 3k staying for a post match beer isn't going to make the slightest dent into the 55k regulars trying to get home after the match.
I
I don't think it's going to be that simple mate.

They're expanding the capacity by 7k. There is only room for 3k at the new City Plaza or whatever it will be called.

So assuming we sell out, it's a minimum of an extra 4k trying to bundle on to trams, buses, cars etc to get out. And that's if City Plaza is operating at full capacity!

Even if we don't sell a single extra ticket, 3k staying for a post match beer isn't going to make the slightest dent into the 55k regulars trying to get home after the match.
That wasn't the discussion mate, wether it would help with the queueing etc, it was wether hundreds of City fans would stay after the game for a pint in the NEW City Square, they will, it won't alleviate the traffic but people will definitely stay for a pint rather than sit in a traffic jam for an hour...

It’s before the game I’d think most fans would be using it
Really ???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.