North Stand Construction Discussion

No, mate.

It took 10 years to build Metrolink to the Etihad. Parts of HS2, including the Manchester leg have been paused for 2 years to try and save money. There’s absolutely no chance ever of a monorail happening.

Maybe something similar could be constructed in time for the North stand expansion opening?

View attachment 71984
I don't know how DfT think pausing construction schemes will save money the inflation is even more ridiculous in the industry than inflation on our cost of living. Pausing just means they aren't paying out now but will probably pay 25% more for the same scheme to start in 2 years, I can see the link to Manchester being cancelled eventually.

I don't know how DfT think pausing construction schemes will save money the inflation is even more ridiculous in the industry than inflation on our cost of living. Pausing just means they aren't paying out now but will probably pay 25% more for the same scheme to start in 2 years, I can see the link to Manchester being cancelled eventually.
London to Crewe....how compelling !!

It was clear what & which I was referring to.

The Dubai Monorail is superb and a huge success connecting DIFC,downtown the marina and increasing areas of Dubai South.

The Manchester Metro is old world by comparison.
I agree, it is old world built on a standard gauge from the 1870's in Bury to Manchester's case and that the monorail is all shiny and new.

But my point was the monorail was designed from scratch to connect an area that didn't exist at the turn of this century and so an integral part of the long term design and still cost about £100M per mile and can only transport about 100 people at a time. The monorail is a shiny toy to take you from one shiny place to another at less than 50% capacity. It's not the mass transit we need.

Much like the log flume from SS Level 3 and the Cheetah racing in the carpark let's consign the monorail to the fanciful and look at what may work

Last edited:
I agree, it is old world built on a standard guage from the 1870's in Bury to Manchester's case and that the monorail is all shiny and new.

But my point was the monorail was designed from scratch to connect an area that didn't exist at the turn of this century and so an integral part of the long term design and still cost about £100M per mile and can only transport about 100 people at a time. The monorail is a shiny toy to take you from one shiny place to another at less than 50% capacity. It's not the mass transit we need.

Much like the log flume from SS Level 3 and the Cheetah racing in the carpark let's consign the monorail to the fanciful and look at what may work
So what's the answer. More trams? Serious question.

I agree, it is old world built on a standard guage from the 1870's in Bury to Manchester's case and that the monorail is all shiny and new.

RTA report that over 151 million riders used the Dubai Metro last year.....that is a mass transit system by any measure

It will not come to Manchester because we don’t have the vision, expertise or political will.

Billions wasted on a now curtailed HS2.

So what's the answer. More trams? Serious question.

More a better planned service. A siding like at Crumpsall could have a couple of double units stacked up with double units put into service to cover the Town Centre - Ashton line during match days, event days. They used to double up on the Bury line for events at NYNEX. Each double unit moves 400 people. It needs planning and that's not something Metrolink seem to think about. But not to difficult as you know when and how many are going to turn up.

Going out alternate services go into the siding and return to the City Centre so instead of a 12 minute service to the ground you get a 6 minute service noon to 3pm. That's at least 4000 people per hour for those 3 hours nearly 25% of the ground.

It can be done, and would be cheaper than a monorail

RTA report that over 151 million riders used the Dubai Metro last year.....that is a mass transit system by any measure

It will not come to Manchester because we don’t have the vision, expertise or political will.

Billions wasted on a now curtailed HS2.
I agree the Dubai Metro is a Mass Transit system, but you were talking about the monorail which has capacity to shuttle 40,000 a day along it's 3 mile stretch and is at less than 50% according to the operator figures not the overhead metro/train system.

It won't come to Manchester as it'd need private funding so would need a ROI making it too expensive and doesn't have the capacity for its purpose of transiting a football or concert crowd quickly.

This has been around for years, and not just to the stadium, and much like the proposed Picc-Vic line, it'd just be a show pony of something that's not needed but at least this won't get to even the draft planning stage.

Why do you think a monorail would be worth it, and how much would you pay to go on it?

I agree the Dubai Metro is a Mass Transit system, but you were talking about the monorail which has capacity to shuttle 40,000 a day along it's 3 mile stretch and is at less than 50% according to the operator figures not the overhead metro/train system.

It won't come to Manchester as it'd need private funding so would need a ROI making it too expensive and doesn't have the capacity for its purpose of transiting a football or concert crowd quickly.

This has been around for years, and not just to the stadium, and much like the proposed Picc-Vic line, it'd just be a show pony of something that's not needed but at least this won't get to even the draft planning stage.

Why do you think a monorail would be worth it, and how much would you pay to go on it?
A Monorail Metro would’ve been a better option to what we now have serving the Etihad which is appallingly inefficient and lacks the flexibility to provide a mass transport system to and from 1 destination, for 6 hours,30 times a year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.