North Stand Construction Discussion

It's a WWII RAF slang term. "Gone for a Burton Ale Beer" meaning: missing, not coming back.

I was always told "gone for a burton" refered to anyone who died would normally be buried in their best suit which the working classes usually purchased from Burton the Tailors. But perhaps that was the northern version.

Prefer 85000 to break our attendance record.
Even better. I worked it out (Caveat: I'm a bit shit at maths), but if we were to get to 80/85000 capacity, we could sell top tier seats from £20 & still make a decent profit.

Imagine our attendances up from 55000 to 85000 with 25000 of those being affordable £20 seats? This expansion wouldn't affect our FFP position, but it'd massively increase our match day revenue which would assist with FFP.

We had the go-ahead for expansion back in 2013/14, so if it was up to me, I'd go all out for an 85000 stadium with safe standing & a retractable roof.

If Real Madrid can do this using loans & technical expertise from ADUG, then I don't see why we're not doing it ourselves. We've nothing to lose, & everything to gain, PLUS it'd shut the fuckin Rags up about who's got the bigger stadium!

I was always told "gone for a burton" refered to anyone who died would normally be buried in their best suit which the working classes usually purchased from Burton the Tailors. But perhaps that was the northern version.

I think a few versions cropped up after the war.

(Montague) Burton was the place to go for your demob suit. It's reckoned that's where the phrase " The Full Monty" came from.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.