North Stand Construction Discussion

It really isn’t really weird. And nobody is acting like a spoilt child.

We’re all grateful for the continued investment in the Etihad stadium and the Etihad Campus by Sheikh Mansour. That also includes the Coop Live Arena, which has received plenty of criticism about it’s black warehouse appearance.(not from me :-) ) On the whole we’re all happy with the North stand expansion proposal. As it’s such a huge proposal, split into different parts, not every part will appeal to everybody, so people will raise concerns and have an opinion, which they’re entitled to. There isn’t such a thing as a perfect proposal, especially one that‘s personal to so many people for so many different reasons. As for this thread, it’s great, with so many differing opinions and views. It’s just what the club want to read so they get additional and honest feedback on the proposal from the fans after viewing the planning application.
We have spoken about the arena before, for me a dreadfully dull exterior for what the developer call an "iconic building"

But you quite rightly pointed out that to make that an iconic building you would probably treble the price, so the same logic applies to our development?

We have spoken about the arena before, for me a dreadfully dull exterior for what the developer call an "iconic building"

But you quite rightly pointed out that to make that an iconic building you would probably treble the price, so the same logic applies to our development?

Stop complaining about it.;-) (only joking)

I appreciate your disappointment. Shared by quite a few people.

For me it’s always been about the inside of the arena. That‘s probably where the bulk of the money is being spent, besides the construction costs. OVG have stated from day one the Coop Live Arena will be best in class. By that they don’t mean it’s external appearance, but it’s internal offering for artists and concert/event goers.

Let’s be honest, the Manchester Arena, as I still refer to it, isn’t a looker either.

A8F4DEB0-65C8-42DB-829C-1F648350F119.jpeg

On the plus side, regrdlesss of what both arenas look like externally, Manchester will have 2 of the biggest indoor arenas not only in Europe, but in the world, attracting the biggest stars and events to the city.

You can add Factory International to that list, which funnily enough has also received plenty of criticism about it’s appearance, including being called a car park, the Blob, the pissed Space Invader, etc.

E9482EBA-CB12-42EC-B07E-823D9C8D0DDA.jpeg

Last edited:

It’s very hard to define an iconic building unless it stands out and is recognised the world over for whatever reason. People say Old Trafford is iconic. That certainly isn’t down to the appearance of the stadium, which is a pile of shite.

Last edited:
Stop complaining about it.;-) (only joking)

I appreciate your disappointment. Shared by quite a few people.

For me it’s always been about the inside of the arena. That‘s probably where the bulk of the money is being spent, besides the construction costs. OVG have stated from day one the Coop Live Arena will be best in class. By that they don’t mean it’s external appearance, but it’s internal offering for artists and concert/event goers.

Let’s be honest, the Manchester Arena, as I still refer to it, isn’t a looker either.

View attachment 76533

On the plus side, regrdlesss of what both arenas look like externally, Manchester will have 2 of the biggest indoor arenas not only in Europe, but in the world, attracting the biggest stars and events to the city.

You can add Factory International to that list, which funnily enough has also received plenty of criticism about it’s appearance, including being called a car park, the Blob, the pissed Space Invader, etc.

View attachment 76534
I remember walking into the original Victoria station Arena for the first time, I was blown away by it, stunning interior but the exterior was terrible and almost invisible from most angles.

Just sad the new arena is not far better looking but the internals look superb so that's the most important factor.

I'm not angry at all (just disappointed lol).

I can't stress enough that this is our last opportunity to create a brilliant atmosphere at the Etihad. The new North Stand could be our Yellow Wall. It was pitched to us as such.

Remembering we can put extra hospitality seats anywhere else in the ground, why would we put them in two of the most crucial parts of the new North Stand?

The seats at the front are key for linking NSL1+2. With that buffer of quieter fans (yes - hospitality seats ARE quieter than GA, any argument otherwise is pedantic) will fragment those tiers so we'll end up with what we currently have (SSL1 and SSL3 completely out of sync because they can't hear each other).

The seats on the back rows set the tone. The songs start from the back and carry forward.

So, again, my point is this... Why would the club put those hospitality seats (particularly the ones at the front) there? Why not along the sides or in the South Stand? If it HAS to go in NSL2, why not bunch it into one of the corners? Why does it need to be in such a prominent, important area?

Ultimately, (let's say those seats generate an extra £1k each per season) is the extra £650k per year worth it (to an organisation that makes hundreds of millions of £s pa)?

It's complete and utter greed and to insinuate that your average 25 year old City fan and his mates are going to buy tickets there is laughable - yes, you might be able to afford it now, but could you when you were a kid on the Kippax making a racket?
Well said @Manchester33, it is Manchester City's chance to build a home end like the Yellow Wall and what have they went and done is put a Tunnel Club Lite in the middle of it, can you post the agenda here so fellow forum members can maybe add to it.

C
The reaction outside the club is one of shock and reality of just how far superior we are run in every department, but from our fan base lot's of weird almost spoilt child reaction.

People moaning about the location of 700 seats, the use of red brick etc etc.
Couldn't have put it better myself, some of the comments are embarrassing, like you say spoilt children comes to mind.

C

Couldn't have put it better myself, some of the comments are embarrassing, like you say spoilt children comes to mind.

I get the impression that you haven’t read pretty much any of the points that have been made.

Pretty much every poster is happy with the expansion and what’s being planned. It’s just the 600 odd corporate seats at the front of a home end that a large number of posters don’t agree with

Apparently you’re spoilt if you don’t agree with that? That is a joke of a comment.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.