Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Re: Samuel Eto'o [merged]

Jump to content Jump to site navigation [0] Jump to search [4] Terms and conditions [8]
Sign in Register Mobile version Text largersmaller
guardian.co.uk Football Web News
Sport
Comment
Culture
Business
Money
Life & style
Travel
Environment
Blogs
Video
Community
Jobs
Sport
Football
Manchester City
Manchester City's 'monster' offer fails to lure Samuel Eto'o• Striker snubs chance to be Premier League's best-paid player
• U-turn shows City's riches may not be enough to tempt top stars
Buzz up!
Digg it
Daniel Taylor guardian.co.uk, Monday 29 June 2009 19.20 BST Article history
Samuel Eto'o has decided to stay at Barcelona despite the temptation of a post-tax salary of £180,000 a week at Manchester City. Photograph: Filippo Monteforte/AFP/Getty Images

Manchester City have been given a painful reminder that their huge financial riches may still not be enough to lure all their ambitious targets after Samuel Eto'o's representatives informed the club today he had chosen not to accept their offer to become the best-paid player in the Premier League.

Eto'o wants to stay at Barcelona even though the European Cup winners have made it clear they were happy to accept what their president, Joan Laporta, described over the weekend as a "stratospheric" and "monster" £25.5m bid from City. It has become clear to Eto'o that Barcelona are looking to move him on but the Cameroon striker has misgivings about joining a club who are not even involved in the Europa League and he is willing to resist the offer of a post-tax salary of £180,000 a week.

His agent, José María Mesalles, will explain his motives at a press conference at the AC Diplomatic hotel in Barcelona tomorrow, uppermost among them being that Eto'o wants to continue playing at the highest level rather than at a club who are still in an early phase of a money-driven attempt to become, ultimately, potential Champions League winners.

Eto'o, who scored in Barcelona's victory over Manchester United in last season's final, has decided he can wait until his contract expires next summer and he can leave on a free transfer. "If there is not a 180-degree turnaround, then he will stay with Barcelona," Mesalles confirmed.

That represents a significant setback to City's manager, Mark Hughes, who had been planning for Eto'o to be the showpiece signing of a £100m summer recruitment programme in which the club have already signed Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry for a combined £30m as well as putting in place a £25.5m deal for Carlos Tevez, whose two-year loan agreement at Manchester United expires tomorrow, and targeting the Everton defender Joleon Lescott for a potential £15m-20m.

It will also be a reminder for City that there is still some way to go before the immense wealth of their Abu Dhabi-based owners brings the club to a point where they represent an attractive proposition for the best players. City have, after all, been here before when Kaka changed his mind about signing with them.

Robinho has shown that City can attract established superstars but inquiries for David Villa at Valencia and Franck Ribéry at Bayern Munich were soon rebuffed. In the case of Eto'o, City are entitled to feel particularly let down as his advisers had strongly led them to believe that the 28-year-old was happy with the financial terms on offer and excited about playing in England. The club had hoped the transfer would persuade more elite footballers that Eastlands was not beneath them. On that front, Eto'o's decision constitutes a damaging blow.

kinkyisgod said:
southstand117 said:
just found this. :-( <a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/29/samuel-etoo-barcelona-manchester-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city</a>

yeah just read that - seems a done deal - this is the Guardian not Tribal football

it's daniel fucking taylor. check his past pieces on city. he's got a chip on his shoulder about us.

Pam said:
The Fixer said:
kinkyisgod said:
southstand117 said:
just found this. :-( <a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/29/samuel-etoo-barcelona-manchester-city" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... ester-city</a>

yeah just read that - seems a done deal - this is the Guardian not Tribal football

It says a done deal to us mate? i can't open the link.

Already posted on here hours and hours ago

A question for the flappers, BTW. If negotiations are not ongoing, why haven't we been told that? If City or Eto or Barca had definitely walked away from the deal, why haven't they said as much? I await your answer.

This press conference tomorrow will be interesting!

Hours and hours and hours old? Where is the statement that the deals has gone belly up. Which of the parties have told us that it's off. The Guardian are twats. They have big style form for this. I stopped reading it donkey's ago because in sporting terms, it is no pissing better than the Sunday Sport.

even if city have to chuck another 10-15 mill in for his bonus they will,we dont want to be missing out here because the press are going to slaughter us with lies about how we cant attract players

yorkieblue said:
If samuel eto'o doesnt come why dont we go for luis fabiano wants to leave and hes a mint player

spot on....he would be my next choice

I feel this deal is still firmly on. City wont want to be made mugs again missing out on another world class player.

All the media hate us, and will do everything to stir it up and for us to seemingly fail.

Tomorrow, or Wednesday could see some very interesting announcements and in my heart of hearts I expect Eto'o to be one of them.

Pam said:
Hours and hours and hours old? Where is the statement that the deals has gone belly up. Which of the parties have told us that it's off. The Guardian are twats. They have big style form for this. I stopped reading it donkey's ago because in sporting terms, it is no pissing better than the Sunday Sport.

lol - there just jelous of us at the minute

37680434566970 said:
Pam said:

lol - there just jelous of us at the minute
all those red tops should get a ban from coms and they should be made to pay for pics and reports from the club 'fcuk em'

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.