Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Re: Samuel Eto'o [merged]

vincent said:
raininspain said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Shaelumstash said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/30/etoo-barcelona-stay-manchester-city

Eto'o would be "delighted" to join City

Samuel Eto'o would like to stay at Barcelona next season but would be "delighted" to join Manchester City if he can't agree a new two-year contract with the Spanish champions, the player's agent said today.

Eto'o has one year remaining on his current deal with the Catalan giants and Josep Maria Mesalles is unhappy that the club appear to be forcing Eto'o out against his wishes in spite of the offer of a contract extension.

"On 2 June, the club called a meeting and I was told by (Barcelona sporting director) Txiki Begiristain and (director of football) Raul Sanllehi that due to a technical decision, Samuel does not feature in the club's plans next season," said Mesalles in a press conference today. "We then had another meeting and I was told once again that Samuel was not in their plans for next season."

Mesalles is keen to speak to Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola to clarify the situation.

"Guardiola said at the end of the season that he was delighted with Samuel, so I don't know what has changed," he said. "My mistake was to not verify this information and we need to find out what the coach wants, because he is the one who ultimately decides."

Barcelona offered Eto'o the new deal last night, but Mesalles is unsure as to the club's motives.

"I don't know if they really want Samuel to stay of if they just want to make money out of him. He would be delighted to stay if they want him and we will study their offer if it is serious, but if they don't want him we will do all we can to help Samuel find a new club. In theory he wanted to play in the Champions League, but if Manchester City have an offer accepted, we would be delighted to go there."

Eto'o scored 35 goals as Barcelona claimed an unprecedented treble of the Primera Division, Copa del Rey and Champions League last season, and is reportedly the target of a £25m transfer bid by Manchester City. The player is now on holiday with his family and is planning to return for pre-season training on 20 July.

"He will arrive in Barcelona on 19 July and will be ready for the first day of training and the medical exams the next day," Mesalles said

Get in!

Unfortunately, the Guardian do not understand Spanish particularly well. Their translation is very free, and NOWHERE does the word 'delighted' appear in any of the reports over here.

Still, I'm still positive. There's a three-way deal waiting to happen here:

Villa from Valencia to Barcelona
Eto'o from Barcelona to City
Kerreison from Palmeiras to Valencia

It's like buying a house, when you get into a chain. Just hope we don't get gazumped!

I think he has signed for Barca...

Yes, but to be sent on loan to Valencia....

vincent said:
raininspain said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Shaelumstash said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/30/etoo-barcelona-stay-manchester-city

Eto'o would be "delighted" to join City

Samuel Eto'o would like to stay at Barcelona next season but would be "delighted" to join Manchester City if he can't agree a new two-year contract with the Spanish champions, the player's agent said today.

Eto'o has one year remaining on his current deal with the Catalan giants and Josep Maria Mesalles is unhappy that the club appear to be forcing Eto'o out against his wishes in spite of the offer of a contract extension.

"On 2 June, the club called a meeting and I was told by (Barcelona sporting director) Txiki Begiristain and (director of football) Raul Sanllehi that due to a technical decision, Samuel does not feature in the club's plans next season," said Mesalles in a press conference today. "We then had another meeting and I was told once again that Samuel was not in their plans for next season."

Mesalles is keen to speak to Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola to clarify the situation.

"Guardiola said at the end of the season that he was delighted with Samuel, so I don't know what has changed," he said. "My mistake was to not verify this information and we need to find out what the coach wants, because he is the one who ultimately decides."

Barcelona offered Eto'o the new deal last night, but Mesalles is unsure as to the club's motives.

"I don't know if they really want Samuel to stay of if they just want to make money out of him. He would be delighted to stay if they want him and we will study their offer if it is serious, but if they don't want him we will do all we can to help Samuel find a new club. In theory he wanted to play in the Champions League, but if Manchester City have an offer accepted, we would be delighted to go there."

Eto'o scored 35 goals as Barcelona claimed an unprecedented treble of the Primera Division, Copa del Rey and Champions League last season, and is reportedly the target of a £25m transfer bid by Manchester City. The player is now on holiday with his family and is planning to return for pre-season training on 20 July.

"He will arrive in Barcelona on 19 July and will be ready for the first day of training and the medical exams the next day," Mesalles said

Get in!

Unfortunately, the Guardian do not understand Spanish particularly well. Their translation is very free, and NOWHERE does the word 'delighted' appear in any of the reports over here.

Still, I'm still positive. There's a three-way deal waiting to happen here:

Villa from Valencia to Barcelona
Eto'o from Barcelona to City
Kerreison from Palmeiras to Valencia

It's like buying a house, when you get into a chain. Just hope we don't get gazumped!

I think he has signed for Barca...

Yep, i thought that to. And believe it or not, it was for £13m. Hope that wasn't Sammi's loyalty bonus

I love the way people are saying that no1 like myself ajay spursmade or no1 has said anything in regards to this when i clearly made it clear what the sitiuation was about 10 pages ago..

but w.e YAWN!

Pollerz said:
I love the way people are saying that no1 like myself ajay spursmade or no1 has said anything in regards to this when i clearly made it clear what the sitiuation was about 10 pages ago..

but w.e YAWN!

Any chance of a re-post. I missed it.

Been reading from page 380

Re: 13 MILLION BIG ONES!

Ricster said:
charliebigspuds said:
cant say i agree mate, don't think the lad want's to play for us and is using this as a get out clause. If we was in the chumps league it may be a different story as i'm sure he would come. This seems so much like the Kaka deal, IMO we're going for Chumps league quality without qualifying for the chumps league.

So why cant we call his bluff then?

Ok Barca, here is your £25m and Sammi here is your £13m. Now sign on this line.

Lets see what he says then. The guy is in the prime of his career, he is the big name signing needed to get the ball rolling, and if he stays fit, he will most probably get us Champions League qualification in the upcoming season.
i agree he'll get us there but i think if we get tevez and lescott the squad would be as good as 2-3 of the top 4, so we should get there anyway, i just think we're punching above our weight a bit in the transfer market and everytime we get knocked back we look like mugs, how stupid will we look if Tevez doesn't sign either?

Re: 13 MILLION BIG ONES!

heatonmoorblue said:
I want eto'o but 38 mill is us breaking the british transfer record for a 28 year old who is in his last year of his contract. A bit too much if you ask me.

Our best chance to get him is now. If he were out of contract, I doubt we would get a look in. Therefore, to us it is irrelevant whether there's one year or three years left on his Barca deal. Ergo, 38 million for one of the top 3 strikers in the world is not so terrible.

As for other comments that suggest he doesn't really want to play for us... I have no concerns at all. Last year, after being unceremoniously hocked around - even to Uzbekistan or whatever - he must have begrudged his Barca employers, yet he still banged in the goals that led to an unprecedented trebble. The guy simply knows where the net is. Besides, I am confident us Blues fans would show him the love he needs to love City back in return.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.