Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Eto'o in limbo as United pass
(PA) Sunday 12 July 2009 (FIFA.COM)

Samuel Eto'o's hopes of a big-money move to the Premier League appear to be dwindling. After Manchester City publicly ended their attempts to sign the Barcelona forward on a massive contract last Friday, neighbours United have now distanced themselves from offering Eto'o an exit from the Nou Camp as well.

It had been suggested that the Red Devils were ready to offer Eto'o wages in the region of £150,000-a-week to bolster their striking options, memories still fresh of his opening goal against them in last season's UEFA Champions League final. However, while there will be no public statement on the speculation from Old Trafford, senior figures at United have distanced themselves from such talk.

Thoughts of a bid for the Cameroon talent have already been rejected, with Sir Alex Ferguson happy to look elsewhere if, as is believed, he wants further attacking options notwithstanding the shock capture of Michael Owen, who will be officially unveiled tomorrow.

It leaves Eto'o in a quandary, given City made it perfectly clear on Friday their announcement was not a game of brinkmanship aimed at securing the marquee signing they are known to be keen on.

In demanding half of an estimated £18m transfer fee City had agreed to pay Barcelona, Eto'o said he would remain in Catalonia for the final year of his contract before leaving for nothing. Without a further intervention, the 28-year-old looks likely to do just that.

Not that such a scenario sits easily with Barcelona, who are keen to complete a deal with Valencia for David Villa, but are seeking to offload Eto'o first.

Ironically, Villa's insistence on remaining in Spain, rather than join Chelsea, as John Terry believed was probable in the spring, is one of the reasons given for the England captain's willingness to, at the very least, talk to the Eastlands side, who are due to leave for South Africa on Wednesday, a day before United head to the Far East for a four-match tour.

Whoops thats not worked out well for Eto or Barca !

alera said:
Eto'o in limbo as United pass
(PA) Sunday 12 July 2009 (FIFA.COM)

Samuel Eto'o's hopes of a big-money move to the Premier League appear to be dwindling. After Manchester City publicly ended their attempts to sign the Barcelona forward on a massive contract last Friday, neighbours United have now distanced themselves from offering Eto'o an exit from the Nou Camp as well.

It had been suggested that the Red Devils were ready to offer Eto'o wages in the region of £150,000-a-week to bolster their striking options, memories still fresh of his opening goal against them in last season's UEFA Champions League final. However, while there will be no public statement on the speculation from Old Trafford, senior figures at United have distanced themselves from such talk.

Thoughts of a bid for the Cameroon talent have already been rejected, with Sir Alex Ferguson happy to look elsewhere if, as is believed, he wants further attacking options notwithstanding the shock capture of Michael Owen, who will be officially unveiled tomorrow.

It leaves Eto'o in a quandary, given City made it perfectly clear on Friday their announcement was not a game of brinkmanship aimed at securing the marquee signing they are known to be keen on.

In demanding half of an estimated £18m transfer fee City had agreed to pay Barcelona, Eto'o said he would remain in Catalonia for the final year of his contract before leaving for nothing. Without a further intervention, the 28-year-old looks likely to do just that.

Not that such a scenario sits easily with Barcelona, who are keen to complete a deal with Valencia for David Villa, but are seeking to offload Eto'o first.

Ironically, Villa's insistence on remaining in Spain, rather than join Chelsea, as John Terry believed was probable in the spring, is one of the reasons given for the England captain's willingness to, at the very least, talk to the Eastlands side, who are due to leave for South Africa on Wednesday, a day before United head to the Far East for a four-match tour.

Whoops thats not worked out well for Eto or Barca !

Well they lost the chance of getting something rather than losing him for nothing by next summer.

The only thing that would be worse than missing out on Eto'o, would be if he then went and signed for the rags...

I don't know if this has been posted, but I certainly haven't seen it;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/5805609/Samuel-Etoo-hopeful-of-making-18-million-Manchester-United-move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -move.html</a>

I'm genuinely frightened at the prospect, I think I might vomit.

*singingtheblues* said:
The only thing that would be worse than missing out on Eto'o, would be if he then went and signed for the rags...

I don't know if this has been posted, but I certainly haven't seen it;

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/5805609/Samuel-Etoo-hopeful-of-making-18-million-Manchester-United-move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -move.html</a>

I'm genuinely frightened at the prospect, I think I might vomit.

its just bullshit .. if utd did bid for him barca would accept and he would want the same portion of the transfer fee .. utd aren't gonna pay him the wages he wants and if he stays he gets to keep a huge signing on fee in a years time .. he seems like the type of player that will happily sit on the bench for a yr running down his contract .. i for one am glad he's not in the running to wear our shirt .. i said it ages ago not just now .. a great goal scorer but too much baggage .. oh utd are welcome to him if they get him .. he'll cause no end of problems ..

If he goes to the rags then so what they can sign our rejects its no problem. There is no guarantee he scores goals, the contract would screw their wage structure, it would allow them less flexibility to strengthen in other areas which are alot more urgent than the striking positions.

Having said all that the piece is just another opinion piece with no direct quotes or substance.

P.S. if eto'o is all about the champions league and not the money why not stay with the current european champions who have a much better chance of winning it next year. He saw the rags up close and personal cos he was playing on the side that tore em to pieces.

I'd like to move on from this but they just wont let me :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1199294/Desperate-Barcelona-refuse-transfer-star-man-Etoo-Manchester-City.html?ITO=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490</a>

frankisskint said:
I'd like to move on from this but they just wont let me :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1199294/Desperate-Barcelona-refuse-transfer-star-man-Etoo-Manchester-City.html?ITO=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490</a>

well Barca would like to sell him to us.. But he has to play for us and it looks like he wouldn't want that

El Mundo Deportivo are reporting that City could still be Eto'o's final destiuantion and that his agent has contacted City about the deal again in the last few days (since City pulled the plug).

shambo said:
El Mundo Deportivo are reporting that City could still be Eto'o's final destiuantion and that his agent has contacted City about the deal again in the last few days (since City pulled the plug).

Maybe he knows Terry is gonna sign;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.