Official - City end interest in Eto'o [merged]

Re: Samuel Eto'o [merged]

citizens_1976 said:
Reading all the gossip, i think it kinda swings more our way. If we cough up the cash, we get him, whether Mansour wants to do it or not, it's a decision that must be took. Or whether Barca will want to pay it.

Reading what SpursMad wrote, i just think Eto'o is threatening Barcelona (agent has come out in public) into paying and one way or the other he is on his way to City. Am i right or not?
Or maybe he just doesn't want come.
Who knows.

I think you are right. think Eto doesn't want to come but may have to in the end. I hope tomorrow's press conference isn't a direct appeal to the fans on his part. No signs of any backlash from them yet.

Pissed off. If I had a pet cat, I would definitely twat it one.

Pam said:
citizens_1976 said:
Reading all the gossip, i think it kinda swings more our way. If we cough up the cash, we get him, whether Mansour wants to do it or not, it's a decision that must be took. Or whether Barca will want to pay it.

Reading what SpursMad wrote, i just think Eto'o is threatening Barcelona (agent has come out in public) into paying and one way or the other he is on his way to City. Am i right or not?
Or maybe he just doesn't want come.
Who knows.

I think you are right. think Eto doesn't want to come but may have to in the end. I hope tomorrow's press conference isn't a direct appeal to the fans on his part. No signs of any backlash from them yet.

Pissed off. If I had a pet cat, I would twat it one.

Oi :-(

I think you are right. think Eto doesn't want to come but may have to in the end.

Just what we want then!

ManCityX said:
I think you are right. think Eto doesn't want to come but may have to in the end.

Just what we want then!

I don't think anyone is going to be happy about this but it's the lesser of the two evils, IMO.

Cobwebcat said:
Pam said:
Tell The King said:
Pam said:
Perhaps it's the heat but I'm having confusion issues here. Is Eto demanding this £13 mill whether or not he goes or only if he doesn't go?
I thought it was a 'loyalty payment', due to the fact he doesn't want to be sold, but barca are telling him to leave. SO, due to the 'inconvience', he requests more monies.

I thought that but the Guardian seems to think he's demanding an up front payment of £13 mil as the condition under which he would stay. Either he is deluded or his relationship with Barca is better than it looks. What would make him think that his club are hell bent on letting him go but would pay £13 million if he agreed to stay? Does this make sense to anyone?

No this is wrong. He wants the money to go not stay. He will miss out on a Bosman in 12 months so wants compensation termed "loyalty payment" this may or may not be part of his present contract.

That's what I thought but this is what the Daily Mail thinks:-

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1196201/Show-13m-signing-fee-Im-Barcelonas-Eto-tells-moneybags-Manchester-City.html?ITO=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490</a>

So basically, if the Mail is right, then Eto has asked for an up front "signing on fee" some sort of extension to his current contract and Barca have more or less said they are not prepared to do that. If it's true that he's been offered is a 2 year extension to the contract without a signing on fee and without an improvement in his current wages, then he is not wanted. Will he really decide to stay where he is not wanted for substantially less money than he would get if he moved?

Or Eto'o might want to come but wants that 10m bonus in his contract. You can't blame him really. He could stay a season and leave with that 10m. Or he could leave now without the 10m or get a huge contract extension. Either way Barca have lost.
Barca pay 10m now and get 15m for him towards Villa or he stays and they lose him and have to pay 10m. Or City pay the 10m or sort a deal out with Barca paying 50% of his loyalty bonus. If its written in his contract, I don't see why he can't get it.
Either way its looking bad for Barca and alright for us. We don't get the player now, then we could try again next summer with wages of 200k a week (putting some of the 25m fee we could have paid now when his contract ends). We save money, he gets his 10m and an even bigger packet.

citizens_1976 said:
Or Eto'o might want to come but wants that 10m bonus in his contract. You can't blame him really. He could stay a season and leave with that 10m. Or he could leave now without the 10m or get a huge contract extension. Either way Barca have lost.
Barca pay 10m now and get 15m for him towards Villa or he stays and they lose him and have to pay 10m. Or City pay the 10m or sort a deal out with Barca paying 50% of his loyalty bonus. If its written in his contract, I don't see why he can't get it.
Either way its looking bad for Barca and alright for us. We don't get the player now, then we could try again next summer with wages of 200k a week (putting some of the 25m fee we could have paid now when his contract ends). We save money, he gets his 10m and an even bigger packet.

Although it does appear that Barca are intent on digging their heels in because they have offered him a contract extension without offering him any more money. It is presumably not common practise for clubs to offer signing on fees to players they already have. Who ever heard of a signing on fee for a contract extension?

On paper that seems like a good deal to Barca. They dont mess up their wages structure and it would cost alot more than £13 million plus the money we are offering to replace him (Bidding on Villa is starting at around £45 million apparently)

Sets a very dangerous precident though. Every top player on their books would want the same with 2 years to run on their contract.

Hes staying at Barca though for the next season at least that much is certain. I never really thought we had a chance of getting him. I got carried away like everyone else but its just impossible to get players like this if you ae not ev en in the champions league.

The OS speaks out:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6635303&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=1051&frommonth=4&fromyear=2009&tomonth=6&toyear=2009

Eto'o must stay within the City limits
29/06/2009 09:45

There's only one transfer story in town at the moment (that could change!) but Richard Tanner is looking beyond the extravagant claims currently coming out of the Nou Camp ...

Daily Express

Manchester City have tabled a £25million bid for long-time target Samuel Eto’o but played down claims they have offered to make him the world’s best-paid player.

Barcelona president Joan Laporta said City had made a “stratospheric offer” to lure Cameroon striker Eto’o to Eastlands amid reports they had promised to pay him £180,000 a week after tax – equivalent to £252,000 gross.

Those figures would make him football’s top earner, on £12m a year, but City insiders say that even though they are the richest club on the planet thanks to the backing of their oil-wealthy Abu Dhabi owners, they would not sanction that sort of mind-boggling contract.

Laporta told Catalan radio station iCat FM: “Eto’o has a stratospheric offer from City, which would convert him into the best-paid player in the world. He wants to stay but an offer like this is very difficult to refuse.”

City suspect Laporta is simply trying to prevent a backlash from Barca fans. A deal would be good business for Barca as Eto’o – a hero in Catalonia after scoring 125 goals in 186 games – can leave as a free agent next summer.

It would also give them the cash to try to outbid rivals Real Madrid for Valencia’s David Villa.

City have permission to speak to Eto’o but are unlikely to offer any more than the £160,000 a week gross they are understood to pay Robinho for fear of dressing-room unrest and inviting more condemnation of a "spend, spend, spend" policy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.