Old Cinemas

I can remember watching ET in the one above Kwik Save in Burnage, GoodFellas on a first date at Cine City, Doctor Who at the Savoy and walk the line at the one at the roundabout in Davyhulme - all sadly now gone.

I can't remember the names of the cinemas but I'm convinced I went to see Muppet's Christmas Carol at the cinema that is now the Moon Under Water Pub on Deansgate.

I also went to a cinema, think it was white, in Davenport, Stockport, to see ET, which Wikipedia tells me was 1982, don't know the name of that one either.

When I was a kid the one I went to most frequently (until the Showcase Multiplex openned in Belle Vue) was on the A6 in Stockport, just as you started to climb the hill out of the centre, on the opposite side of the road to the bus depot, just before you got to the library. Went there many times throughout the 1980's, again my memory faisl me as to the name.

Anyone got any clues what these three might have been called?

stony said:
I remember the old ABC in Rochdale. It used to have ashtrays with built in match strikers on the back of every seat. The kind you used to see on the top deck of buses.
I didn't know Vue had shut down at Pilsworth. I remember picking my daughter up from there on numerous occasions.

The Rialto in Rochdale, too! My impressionable years were spent visiting such delightful film theatres in Blackley, Harpurhey, and Collyhurst: The Avenue on Victoria Avenue, The Empire on Factory Lane, The Cintra in Harpurhey and The Essoldo in Collyhurst. Top notch!!

Matty said:
I can't remember the names of the cinemas but I'm convinced I went to see Muppet's Christmas Carol at the cinema that is now the Moon Under Water Pub on Deansgate.

I also went to a cinema, think it was white, in Davenport, Stockport, to see ET, which Wikipedia tells me was 1982, don't know the name of that one either.

When I was a kid the one I went to most frequently (until the Showcase Multiplex openned in Belle Vue) was on the A6 in Stockport, just as you started to climb the hill out of the centre, on the opposite side of the road to the bus depot, just before you got to the library. Went there many times throughout the 1980's, again my memory faisl me as to the name.

The cinema in Davenport was called "Davenport Cinema" funnily enough!

The ABC Forum in Northenden which is now a meeting place for Jehovas witnesses. Went through a full restoration to original Art Deco design and is now a magnificent example of how we should keep our heritage instead of being too quick to demolish it. I don't know how to do pics on here but have a look on Google images.

bluekat said:
Matty said:

So it was, just googled it and the picture is definitely the cinema i saw ET at, I was right, it was white! Not bad considering I was 5 at the time!

Matty said:
It was called the ABC.

2577683664_676cae51c8.jpg

Matty said:
bluekat said:
Matty said:

So it was, just googled it and the picture is definitely the cinema i saw ET at, I was right, it was white! Not bad considering I was 5 at the time!

Same age as me then, only I watched it at the Concorde in Burnage....twice on the bounce!

The old cinema in Poynton that's been a bloody eye sore for the last 20 years is about to be demolished to make way for a new Aldi store.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.