Old Manchester motorbike shops from yesteryear....

Anyone here remember Eddies 2 Wheels in Sale?

I lived in Manchester from Oct 1989- Dec 1990 and popped in his shop many times and he sold MZ's and the Indian Royal Enfields - the Indian Enfields had just come out around this time.

When did his shop close and what happened to him? - Is he still alive?

Also does anyone remember a motorcycle breakers in High Legh near Altrincham/lymm? This was also around 1990 and from what I remember, it was kind of off the beaten track near High Legh garden centre but only visited it several times.

That would be Derek Johnsons,... a younger relative Paul used to have quite a large showroom in Hollinwood, on Oldham Road, Oldham around 1977/8
I worked there in 78/79 David Johnson ran it then with another fella called Ron, Alf the accountant amd Nick Johnson had a smaller shop just around the corner on Deansgate, Daivid also had 2 more shops on Deansgate down that end, Hondarama was one, I think the other was called David Johnson,weird they had so many units in such a small place but David was flying out to Japan and doing deals to get hundreds of bikes imported at good prices so we used to knock plenty out, there was a workshop down the road under the arches where the mechanics Russ and Andy just uncrating bikes all day long,was a great crack because we all got to road test the new models, CBX 1000 was a highlight,one day after work when everyone had left I pulled out the 1st Yamaha shaft drive out of the window and fired it up....flat out down to the bottom of Liverpool rd , I shut off the throttle and shit myself,having never ridden one before I wasn't expecting the lock up....snaked it for 100 yards but managed to stay on...couldn't wait to get that back in the window, my heart was pounding...They had White City too, used to spend a fortune advertising in the MEN, for every shop competing against themselves ...all ended up in the same pot though..

I worked there in 78/79 David Johnson ran it then with another fella called Ron, Alf the accountant amd Nick Johnson had a smaller shop just around the corner on Deansgate, Daivid also had 2 more shops on Deansgate down that end, Hondarama was one, I think the other was called David Johnson,weird they had so many units in such a small place but David was flying out to Japan and doing deals to get hundreds of bikes imported at good prices so we used to knock plenty out, there was a workshop down the road under the arches where the mechanics Russ and Andy just uncrating bikes all day long,was a great crack because we all got to road test the new models, CBX 1000 was a highlight,one day after work when everyone had left I pulled out the 1st Yamaha shaft drive out of the window and fired it up....flat out down to the bottom of Liverpool rd , I shut off the throttle and shit myself,having never ridden one before I wasn't expecting the lock up....snaked it for 100 yards but managed to stay on...couldn't wait to get that back in the window, my heart was pounding...They had White City too, used to spend a fortune advertising in the MEN, for every shop competing against themselves ...all ended up in the same pot though..

QUJ46MBh.jpg

My Mate Doug Holtom, with Alex George and Paul Johnson.

My Dad had a mate who owned a Motorcycle shop on King St Dukinfield called Bray's Motorcycles.

Remember him taking me there often as a kid. We went on my Dad's 650 Panther Redwing.

This is my current bike which I’ve owned since 2007, originally sold by Claremont Motorcycles Limited, 275/277 Stamford Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, as indicated on the number plate.

42726551485_0171c89042_b.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.