Old Match Day Pubs Around Maine Road

Had spells going in pretty much every pub within a mile or so of the ground at some point.

Some of my favourite times were when I lived in Hulme and the crawl to the ground would go something like.

Henry Royce- Junction- Chequered Flag- Clynes’ Wine Bar- Salutation- Gamecock- Crown- Ducie- Beehive.

Not many left now.
I lived in Hulme in the early 80's and must have drunk in all the above boozers.
It was grim in Hulme then, especially during the riots.
My favourite was a Boddies pub, towards the Mancunian Way (the Grants ?).
Started going towards Town as it had more going on, although not many people lived there in the early 80's.
Joined the Hacienda when it opened cost of £5.51, as it was the 51st "project" of Factory Records.
Often saw Tony Wilson (before he became Anthony H. Wilson) drinking on his own, as everyone thought he was a pillock...

The Sherwood was on the right hand side of Claremont Road if you were heading down from Wilmslow Road.Just past it on the other side was Heald Place Primary and Rusholme Secondary Modern.
I had my first pint in there,courtesy of my Uncle Sam who was a regular and played the piano in there at the weekends,This was pre decimal days as I am a FOC sadly.The drink I had was either Whitbread Tankard or Trophy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.