Old Match Day Pubs Around Maine Road

Sorry for the bump but i was chatting to @mancityvstoke earlier about pubs around Maine Road.

I used to drink mainly in The Parkside, The Beehive The Clarence and The Osborne. And also The Sherwood now and again if it was where i think it was.The Sherwood behind the Kippax past the school towards Wilmslow Road? It was a Wilsons pub that looked a bit like The Rovers Return. mancityvstoke is pretty sure but not certain it was The Sherwood.

My memory is fading so can anyone confirm this?
What era are we talking here? A quick google search has thrown up The Red Lion, a Wilson's house on Claremont road pretty much next to the school. Seems way back though.

https://i2-prod.manchestereveningne...cle8621828.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/webmedia.jpg

What era are we talking here? A quick google search has thrown up The Red Lion, a Wilson's house on Claremont road pretty much next to the school. Seems way back though.

https://i2-prod.manchestereveningne...cle8621828.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/webmedia.jpg
It could be that pub pal . Looks familiar. Either there or Osborne i think. Early 80s to mid 90s. The pub I'm talking about was to the right of the souvenir shop walking towards Wilmslow road. I think it was only about 100m from the souvenir shop but my memory is fading.

Thanks for the research, much appreciated.

It could be that pub pal . Looks familiar. Either there or Osborne i think. Early 80s to mid 90s. The pub I'm talking about was to the right of the souvenir shop walking towards Wilmslow road. I think it was only about 100m from the souvenir shop but my memory is fading.

Thanks for the research, much appreciated.
It was The Sherwood on the left of Claremont Road, further up on the right circa 1972 was the Red Lion and the Lord Lyon

Not sure if it was ever a City pub? but definitely a Hulme pub. I've recently noticed the three legs of man on Stretford Road seems to have also closed down.

Not sure if it was ever a City pub? but definitely a Hulme pub. I've recently noticed the three legs of man on Stretford Road seems to have also closed down.

Yes, shut for good two weeks ago. Shame. Wasn’t everyone’s idea of a great boozer but it’s another good community type pub lost.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.