Old Match Day Pubs Around Maine Road

I lived in Hulme in the early 80's and must have drunk in all the above boozers.
It was grim in Hulme then, especially during the riots.
My favourite was a Boddies pub, towards the Mancunian Way (the Grants ?).
Started going towards Town as it had more going on, although not many people lived there in the early 80's.
Joined the Hacienda when it opened cost of £5.51, as it was the 51st "project" of Factory Records.
Often saw Tony Wilson (before he became Anthony H. Wilson) drinking on his own, as everyone thought he was a pillock...

The Grants was one of the last to go. Probably about 10 years ago now. They got a new landlord who changed the name to A’Fe’We, and it became a really popular community pub. Loads of events for families that spilt over on to Hulme Park right outside it and great music nights. But then they built houses for commuters into Manchester all around it and they didn’t like the noise, so it fell by the wayside like all the rest.

The only pubs I ever frequented pre-match at Maine Rd were The Grafton (Holts house near the Uni) and The Fallowfield on Wilbraham Rd. The Grafton is still there - not a pub that relied on match day custom. The Fallowfield shut its doors when there was still a season left at Maine Rd - knew what was coming and sold the land it stood on to a developer who built a block of flats.

Both shit boozers tbh, but both easy to get served in - whereas pre-match, the boozers in the immediate vicinity of the ground looked like you'd never get through the front door they were that hammered.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.