older fans returning now we've won a cup

i came to England in 1957, lived in London for 2 weeks, got a job as a builder in M/c & lived there until the early '90s. Myself & several countrymen became " CITY" fans at the end of the '56/'57 season, up until in my case, season '98/'99, when my wife & i moved to northen Scotland.I still get down for 8 or 9 games per season but being poor, like the majority of people,i find i can't afford too many games.
In the '60s until the '80s, i followed "CITY" all over England & Europe, sometimesi was able to visit friends & family in my home countries of Greece & Hungary. Money in those days wasn't as big a problem as now. I am still a"CITY" fan & always will be

Post subject: Re: older fans returning now we've won a cup
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:36 am

Personally, I do respect those who stuck with us through thick and thin and still went week-in, week-out even when we dropped down to the third tier. Are these people better fans than the others? Well, yes, in my view they probably are. But does that mean anyone who has joined more recently or has returned after a period of absence should be unwelcome? Of course not. We need fans of all types.

Report this post here here well said

ChesterRdBlue said:
I heard three different conversations the other night where people were saying they hadn't been for years and there did seem a lot of people who were lost and were obviously there for the first time or not been for a while. Although I am no authority on whether a fan should be accepted or not, all our welcome in my eyes and if it wasn't for some of the newer fans or returning fans, then the very same people who fret about these fans would be the same lot who wet themselves when an attendance doesn't live up to their expectations and they face ridicule from non match going United fans. A blue is a blue, no matter what their circumstances.
spot on mate

Re: older fans

john@staustell said:
crizack said:
squirtyflower said:
Busted!

I haven't seen us in the flesh 'so to speak' since Swindon in 64

I'd better slope off the board and fade away gracefully

So you think someone who watched us in 64 should be banging on how he's alwaysbeen a blue because he now pays for a season ticket?

Isn't that the match where about 60,000 people have claimed to be there on the fateful day but the actual attendance was about 5,000?

I think there were more than 5000 but was there a bus strike on that day?

To be honest i dont give a toss whether somebody has supported us from day they were born or has just started supporting us... only thing that matters is that they stay blue..... i went to my first game in 61 my dad was a blue till he died as was my grandad... my kids are blues my grandkids are blues... s/t since 75 when i got first job lol went more away games in 99 than i have in any other season apart from 81... the more the merrier in my view

hjohn said:
I'm starting to get confused here.
So we don't want children at the game, we don't want older fans who haven't been for a while, we don't want anyone who started supporting us from after the take over and we don't want anyone who isn't from Manchester.

Great reply but you forgot the fans that don't want to sing. Oh, and anybody that leaves 5 minutes before the end.

What a shit OP.

There are are lots of reasons why fans fall in and out of love with football, not just city but football in general, and lets be totally honest, football is entertainment, i`ve never wavered but have been pissed off at many performances, Pearson era and many before, if Elvis did just one totally shite performance he would `immediately` lose many fans and slagged off full time in the media.... So really all things considered we have a perfectly loyal fan base and one or two thousand (maybe more) who have been rightly pissed off but now are just as excited as the rest of us and want to be there, they are just as much a fan as I am and perfectly welcome.

stiniyamasena said:
i came to England in 1957, lived in London for 2 weeks, got a job as a builder in M/c & lived there until the early '90s. Myself & several countrymen became " CITY" fans at the end of the '56/'57 season, up until in my case, season '98/'99, when my wife & i moved to northen Scotland.I still get down for 8 or 9 games per season but being poor, like the majority of people,i find i can't afford too many games.
In the '60s until the '80s, i followed "CITY" all over England & Europe, sometimesi was able to visit friends & family in my home countries of Greece & Hungary. Money in those days wasn't as big a problem as now. I am still a"CITY" fan & always will be

Two home countries? Oh well, welcome Jozsef Papadopolous.

Supported city all my life well as far as i can remember (born 1961) in the early days we used to save our dinner money so we could buy a ticket and even then we had to bunk on the bus from Wythenshawe to Maine Rd and when we could n't get a bus we used to walk to the ground and back again.
I spent 20 odd years in the army came back to Manchester and since then have supported city with a season ticket ever since.
My view on people old, young, from Manchester or not. we as a club need everyone we can get to come to the matches. How do people think we can compete with Man shite, Arsenal, and Barca with they size of crowds they get if we don't encourage as many fans as possible who want to support us to come and join in this blue moon raising.
A 48,000 stadium is not big enough if we want to go as far as we can.
Don't slag off anyone who comes to support us, welcome them to what is a great time to be a City supporter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.