older fans returning now we've won a cup

i for one do understand why so many blues are banging on about the new blues, in my eyes i have never heard so much pig poo, i know off a hell off alot a blues who have lost there way and give up on paying money they have not got to watch city in the worst time they called it a day, and now when there coming back we treat them like the scum from the swamp. in my eyes its not new fans its the old school coming back to watch the glory days unfold again

i know loads of armchair blues and reds come to that, me and the misses have seasoncards but (i work away a lot) now and again can't give my tickets away when we can't go, and as for the reds the old excuse of can't get a ticket can't last for 10 years, have u ever noticed when u ask a red when the last time they went, they always say bolton/ stoke/wigan or west ham 4 years ago and it was 2-1 or something? at the end of the day u either want to go or u don't!

I'm an older fan and I haven't returned because I've never been away.

I've watched City since 1966, mostly as a season ticket holder since my dad stopped paying for me to get in.

Not many older fans who can remember City winning things have returned. Many of them are 6ft under.

Football has become more fashionable and more expensive, and that means an older crowd at matches. City are not an exception to this rule. Matchdays are a middle-age, middle class affair these days, and to be honest it is a bit dull atmosphere wise compared to the 60s and 70s.

Re: older fans returning.

crizack said:
the fans who have had it the hardest within our support for the past 35 years. I shall edit it now as i can see why a few may be annoyed.

Supporting a losing team while United became the dominant team in the country,getting ribbed in the pub,at work,saying you support City was never the easy choice,if you chose City,then the past 30+ years has been with a few exceptions pretty bloody bleak,for everyone,not just the match goers.

These threads worry me a bit.

Do I understand them? Yes. But rather selfishly, they affect me, as a long time blue.

I have a bit of an American twang as I've lived in the states since I were ten... Been here 15 years now. I'm about to have a job in the UK, if all goes as planned. I've seen city at main road and my entire extended family are season ticket holders... But when I'm over for a match, I've been asked if Americans (implying me) started supporting for the money. I'm english, more importantly mancunian and I'm seen as a glory hunter because of my accent(which is actually still fairly English).

There needs to be some acceptance to an extent. I sound American but I love goater and dickov... But we will attract others who are a little late to the party. As long as they respect where we came from, we need them. Let's not accept an elitist mentality. All that is needed is an appreciation for the dark years.

C.T.I.D

Re: older fans returning.

r.soleofsalford said:
crizack said:
We always here about how we have new fans but it mainly only applies to the younger ones. This guy I know tells everyone he's been a blue since the sixties. His wife said "he seen them play once and has only just started supporting them again" banging on how he watched us in the sixties and how he is more blue than others. Anyone else know any older "fans" who younger people might think 'I bet they've been all over watching city' but really, the haven't gave a Damn for 35 years?

I love our club getting a bigger fan base, just don't like the ones who say they are lifelong blues yet only started supporting us in their late teens or now the goings good. Personally, I think the most dedicated support has been from those born after 1976. Their the ones who have gone longest without seeing us win.

this isnt a knob measuring contest.

i`m sure there are blues who dont go now, who went during the dark time to many reason to go into

-- Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:48 pm --

samharris said:
I said this the other week and stand by it..

Sheikh Mansour bought City to sell to the world and if the world wants to buy a piece of City who are we to argue.

Some complain about empty seats,others about so called plastic City fans !! There will come a day when every seat for every game is sold,whoever sits in that seat supporting City is fine by me,but no doubt it will upset a certain few who deem themselves better supporters but hey ho..cake and eat it springs to mind.

you always talk sense

and the more i`ve drunk the more sense you seem to make :}

If it was it's easy to spot who the biggest knob is and it's not me for a change!

Who gives a flying .... (I refuse to swear anymore following recent bans!!!)

All blues are top guys n gals in my eyes..It doesn't matter if you go,you don't go etc..Peoples situations in life,work,financially are all different.

i suppose I am lucky that I can go to all games but I will never slate someone who doesn't or comes back after a few years away.

Strange thread for me!

crizack said:
We always here about how we have new fans but it mainly only applies to the younger ones. This guy I know tells everyone he's been a blue since the sixties. His wife said "he seen them play once and has only just started supporting them again" banging on how he watched us in the sixties and how he is more blue than others. Anyone else know any older "fans" who younger people might think 'I bet they've been all over watching city' but really, the haven't gave a Damn for 35 years?

I love our club getting a bigger fan base, just don't like the ones who say they are lifelong blues yet only started supporting us in their late teens or now the goings good. Personally, I think the fans who have had it the hardest has been for those born after 1976. Their the ones who have gone longest without seeing us win.

edited as i can see how the term 'most dedicated' can annoy some.

Smacks of complete arrogance. Who are you to judge, and who should qualify as a genuine supporter?
I was born 1960. I am a lifelong blue. Yes I enjoyed the good times in the late 60's and 70's, but I travelled away to watch the team at godforsaken places
in the 90's when they really did need support. Were you there?
I can genuinely say they were the best times because you knew the players & club needed the support, and the guys suffering with you on the terraces were the real deal blues. I always felt that was the reason we were better than United.
Sure, now there are hibernating blues feeling safer about showing their colours - good for them, I haven't got any problem with that because deep down I know it means more to me and those who stood with me in the 'dark days' not long ago. That's why I cried at Wembley, twice, last Season and why I don't need anyone else to suggest who is better than anyone else in a blue shirt these days..........

Re: older fans

crizack said:
Ducado said:
You have to remember that we had a huge Manchester fan base, that drifted away during the lean years, and are drifting back now.

We are not some kind of exclusive club, where only the select few can support you know, we need and no doubt welcome every supporter, be they a new one or a returning blue

That's what I mean, I'm sorry if I offend anyone but when I see a any city fan early 30's or younger, I think of all the shit they must of had. Especially those like myself who in 99, when the rags won the treble and with all the shit we got in mid high school and as a socio pressure anyway, we didn't do what cowards do and go supporting the better team. I think any city fan who was a teenager in 99 should be noticed and others to understand just how dedicated the younger generation are. More blue than the ones who supported us in the allison/mercer years? I don't know, but I do know one thing. Supporting city is a good thing.

There's the small matter of a wembley play=off final we had in 99 to consider here.
I didn't even notice the rag treble.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.