older fans returning now we've won a cup

Re: older fans returning.

First went to maine rd in1971 with my old fella , got my first season ticket 77 , give it up around 1985 . since then ive been to only a handful of games a season . but ive also attended some of City's darkest moments ( Shrewsbury , Halifax FA Cup ..Luton , Stoke relegations ) sat on a hill in Blackburn .............now this year ive treated myself to a 'Platinum' season card ....... are you trying to suggest im a 'Gloryhunter / Fair weather fan ?......... ( apologies if your not )

-- Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm --

ManCitizens. said:
To be honest, the only real fans went to York away and bought the t-shirt.
Bollocks ! ,,,i carted my arse all over england in the late 70s / early 80s ...... and we were SHITE!! ( Bobby Shinton anyone ?!?)

I don't think younger fans realise how bad football became in the late 70s and through the 80s.

Going to a game was taking your life in your hands sometimes. Going to away games was worse. The violence back then was different. It's still around I guess, but back then it was indiscriminate.
Anyone was fair game. I knew a lad at uni who was an Everton fan. He went to a match (not City) with his dad in the early 80's and they got set upon. They both got the shit kicked out of them so bad they both ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks. He was 14, his dad was 45. Wasn't uncommon. Would you see that today?

Plus things like Heysel, Bradford, Hillsborough - a lot of people just thought it wasn't worth it any more. Fans didn't just stop going to City - they stopped going to football altogether. It doesn't surprise me that people have stayed away for the last 10-15 years. I got so sick of it I left the country. If they are coming back to City now all the better for me.

blueish swede said:
I don't think younger fans realise how bad football became in the late 70s and through the 80s.

Going to a game was taking your life in your hands sometimes. Going to away games was worse. The violence back then was different. It's still around I guess, but back then it was indiscriminate.
Anyone was fair game. I knew a lad at uni who was an Everton fan. He went to a match (not City) with his dad in the early 80's and they got set upon. They both got the shit kicked out of them so bad they both ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks. He was 14, his dad was 45. Wasn't uncommon. Would you see that today?

Plus things like Heysel, Bradford, Hillsborough - a lot of people just thought it wasn't worth it any more. Fans didn't just stop going to City - they stopped going to football altogether. It doesn't surprise me that people have stayed away for the last 10-15 years. I got so sick of it I left the country. If they are coming back to City now all the better for me.
Brilliant post M8! ....going to places like Leeds in the late 70s was ' scary '

panzer1311 said:
First went to maine rd in1971 with my old fella , got my first season ticket 77 , give it up around 1985 . since then ive been to only a handful of games a season . but ive also attended some of City's darkest moments ( Shrewsbury , Halifax FA Cup ..Luton , Stoke relegations ) sat on a hill in Blackburn .............now this year ive treated myself to a 'Platinum' season card ....... are you trying to suggest im a 'Gloryhunter / Fair weather fan ?......... ( apologies if your not )

ManCitizens. said:
Bollocks ! ,,,i carted my arse all over england in the late 70s / early 80s ...... and we were SHITE!! ( Bobby Shinton anyone ?!?)

I was only joking m8, i didnt go either. Went York at home though, because i knew we would win 4.0.

ManCitizens. said:
panzer1311 said:

ManCitizens. said:

I was only joking m8, i didnt go either. Went York at home though, because i knew we would win 4.0.
Sorry m8........those were dark days in league 1, but i what meant was it wasn't all a bed of rose's before:( the game i remember most was , taking my son Against Wycombe at home ( Lost 1-2 ) i looked at him and thought i cant keep putting him through this ! ..............its just cruel

ive followed Manchester City for some 30+ years, cheered them, lauded them, defended them, worn their colours, soaked up all the ridicule and rag scum gloating with my head held high, ive had a passion for Manchester City i could never explain, i have just always loved this club through everything...

and yet because i havent spent every penny ive earned during those 30+ years following City home and away, because sometimes things other than football have been a priority in my life or because i havent spent every waking hour on a City forum my support and loyalty is questioned...to those that do question it id like to say, fuck you, but because im a lady i'll refrain..

i despise this mentality in some fellow blues

ickle~blue said:
ive followed Manchester City for some 30+ years, cheered them, lauded them, defended them, worn their colours, soaked up all the ridicule and rag scum gloating with my head held high, ive had a passion for Manchester City i could never explain, i have just always loved this club through everything...

and yet because i havent spent every penny ive earned during those 30+ years following City home and away, because sometimes things other than football have been a priority in my life or because i havent spent every waking hour on a City forum my support and loyalty is questioned...

i despise this mentality in some fellow blues

Excellent post, I hate this "bigger blue" attitude that some have on here.

First post and new to the forum and to be honest its a bit of a joke reading through some of these threads.

Are we all not supposed to be singing from the same hymn sheet. Who cares what people's background is when supporting the blue's, mine is important to me and it's something i will keep to my myself rather than try and go one better than someone else by putting it on here cause that's what this sounds like.

I don't understand the bitterness. When i've gone to games in various seats EVERYONE i have sat next to has been like an old mate. Sat down this year after buying a season ticket and a few games in it feels like we have sat there for years. (oops does that make me more of a fan than someone else cause ive got a seasoncard !!)

Chill , things have never been so good !!!!

Re: older fans

crizack said:
Ducado said:
You have to remember that we had a huge Manchester fan base, that drifted away during the lean years, and are drifting back now.

We are not some kind of exclusive club, where only the select few can support you know, we need and no doubt welcome every supporter, be they a new one or a returning blue

That's what I mean, I'm sorry if I offend anyone but when I see a any city fan early 30's or younger, I think of all the shit they must of had. Especially those like myself who in 99, when the rags won the treble and with all the shit we got in mid high school and as a socio pressure anyway, we didn't do what cowards do and go supporting the better team. I think any city fan who was a teenager in 99 should be noticed and others to understand just how dedicated the younger generation are. More blue than the ones who supported us in the allison/mercer years? I don't know, but I do know one thing. Supporting city is a good thing.

Amen ! And all you old farts show some respect lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.