Oleg Shatov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shatov's career really started at Zenit. His first club shouldn't be counted. Nor should Harry Kane's seasons at Norwich, Leyton Orient, Leicester, etc. Or should Ronaldo's time at Sporting Lisbon. Ronaldo has only scored 3 goals for his first club. As I said, talent is something that needs maturing. Harry Kane's talent matured last season for example. This season, especially for Shatov, he has been a beast. I don't keep have to repeating his achievements this season. An "average OK" player wouldn't have 1 goal 3 assists in 4 CL games for example, who has been involved in most amount of goals after Hulk and Ronaldo in this year's CL campaign.

Shatov's first club was a Siberian average relegation Russian club, where he originally comes from and a club with very limited resources. His 100+ caps there means jack shit. It was his talent that made big spenders like Anzhi, Zenit buy him.

As I said, Sterling and Shatov are not comparable yet. They both play in completely different leagues, to the point it's hard to draw a simple conclusion. Only way to make a comparison is if Zenit draw with City this year, which I hope so or Shatov comes to PL.

BTW, about the point of him leaving Russia. Lol, I think you would find all the Russians play in Russia. Only team in the WC 2014 with a team playing in their native country squad. Russia have some great players that would be playing for top European sides. Why? Because of the crazy wages in Russia. Now with Zenit, Shatov probably earns double/triple the money an average foreigner earns at the PL. So there's really not much incentive for him. But if he can perform very well as he is currently at the CL and the next Euro, I'm 100% he'll be coming to a top club. So don't use the argument of him still being at Russia. Only time Russians left their country was after Euro 2008, because top clubs showed interest in their players.
Ronaldo left Sporting after 1 season, when he was 18, how many goals was he supposed to score exactly? Kane played for Norwich, Orient and Leicester before he was 20, so again, still a youth player. Shatov joined Zenit as a 23 year old, with 5 full seasons in the Russian league behind him. He was far more experienced than Kane is now, or than Sterling is now, or Ronaldo was when he joined United, and he'd done very little in that time to attract foreign clubs. Even if we ignore 5 full seasons of football and just look at Zenit, prior to this season he'd played 2 full seasons at Zenit, and only managed 11 goals in 76 appearances. Sterling scored 11 goals last season alone, and 10 the season before, all in a tougher league whilst as a teenager.

Filip Mladenović of BATE Borisov has scored 2 goals this season in the Champion's League, against top level opposition, and he's a left back, he must be absolutely World Class by your warped reckoning. I also notice you fail to mention Shatov's Champion's League goal came against that European powerhouse Gent, a side that would be in the bottom half of the Premier League.

You can't just discount over 100 of Shatov's appearances because they don't fit your narrative, he played in the top flight for Ural, they weren't some lower league side. Plus he only managed 5 goals in 51 appearances for Anzhi anyway, so hardly impressive.

Of course you can draw conclusions and comparisons between Shatov and Sterling. Yes, they play in different leagues, and the one Sterling plays in is obviously far tougher, yet he's done demonstrably far better. So, tougher league, better performances/returns = better player, the fact he's also 5 years younger and far less experienced just emphasises this fact.

Ronaldo left Sporting after 1 season, when he was 18, how many goals was he supposed to score exactly? Kane played for Norwich, Orient and Leicester before he was 20, so again, still a youth player. Shatov joined Zenit as a 23 year old, with 5 full seasons in the Russian league behind him. He was far more experienced than Kane is now, or than Sterling is now, or Ronaldo was when he joined United, and he'd done very little in that time to attract foreign clubs. Even if we ignore 5 full seasons of football and just look at Zenit, prior to this season he'd played 2 full seasons at Zenit, and only managed 11 goals in 76 appearances. Sterling scored 11 goals last season alone, and 10 the season before, all in a tougher league whilst as a teenager.

Filip Mladenović of BATE Borisov has scored 2 goals this season in the Champion's League, against top level opposition, and he's a left back, he must be absolutely World Class by your warped reckoning. I also notice you fail to mention Shatov's Champion's League goal came against that European powerhouse Gent, a side that would be in the bottom half of the Premier League.

You can't just discount over 100 of Shatov's appearances because they don't fit your narrative, he played in the top flight for Ural, they weren't some lower league side. Plus he only managed 5 goals in 51 appearances for Anzhi anyway, so hardly impressive.

Of course you can draw conclusions and comparisons between Shatov and Sterling. Yes, they play in different leagues, and the one Sterling plays in is obviously far tougher, yet he's done demonstrably far better. So, tougher league, better performances/returns = better player, the fact he's also 5 years younger and far less experienced just emphasises this fact.

It's 3 goals in 34 games at Anzhi btw. As I said, it's about talent maturing. His days at Ural mean fuck all to anything. Ural are Sunderland equivalent of Russia, a bottom side pretty much. You can't expect a talented midfielder/winger to make much effect at a club of that calibre. A club with very low resources. Sterling never played at Sunderland. Shatov was at Ural from 17-21 years old, managing over 100 appearances at SENIOR level, which should tell you something about his ability. You love your goal tally but if Shatov was average, why were top Russian teams so interested in buying a relegation team player? What does this say about Shatov?

I've first came across this fella in the Dortmund Zenit CL game and being an aspiring scout, I knew he had potential. Now, this year he has been nothing but ace. You always bring his stats up of past seasons but you have to admit he has been amazing this season.

A Zenit City tie would be good to see so my fellow Bluemoon Citizens can see who he really is.

It's 3 goals in 34 games at Anzhi btw. As I said, it's about talent maturing. His days at Ural mean fuck all to anything. Ural are Sunderland equivalent of Russia, a bottom side pretty much. You can't expect a talented midfielder/winger to make much effect at a club of that calibre. A club with very low resources. Sterling never played at Sunderland. Shatov was at Ural from 17-21 years old, managing over 100 appearances at SENIOR level, which should tell you something about his ability. You love your goal tally but if Shatov was average, why were top Russian teams so interested in buying a relegation team player? What does this say about Shatov?

I've first came across this fella in the Dortmund Zenit CL game and being an aspiring scout, I knew he had potential. Now, this year he has been nothing but ace. You always bring his stats up of past seasons but you have to admit he has been amazing this season.

A Zenit City tie would be good to see so my fellow Bluemoon Citizens can see who he really is.

You contradict yourself in your own post mate.

So you say that he can't be expected to make an impact, but then claim that very same impact is what drew top Russian teams to sign him?

I would argue that if a player was world class or potentially world class as you say, they would definitely standout in a rubbish team. The fact that you yourself admit that he didn't is very telling.

You contradict yourself in your own post mate.

So you say that he can't be expected to make an impact, but then claim that very same impact is what drew top Russian teams to sign him?

I would argue that if a player was world class or potentially world class as you say, they would definitely standout in a rubbish team. The fact that you yourself admit that he didn't is very telling.
I was talking about goal scoring, especially when Shatov is a midfielder. But still, a great player like Shatov stood out at a low relegation Siberian club, which prompted interest of Anzhi, Zenit.

BTW, about the point of him leaving Russia. Lol, I think you would find all the Russians play in Russia. Only team in the WC 2014 with a team playing in their native country squad. Russia have some great players that would be playing for top European sides. Why? Because of the crazy wages in Russia. Now with Zenit, Shatov probably earns double/triple the money an average foreigner earns at the PL. So there's really not much incentive for him. But if he can perform very well as he is currently at the CL and the next Euro, I'm 100% he'll be coming to a top club. So don't use the argument of him still being at Russia. Only time Russians left their country was after Euro 2008, because top clubs showed interest in their players.
IF you were referring to my point about him leaving Russia then you seem to have completely missed the point. I wasn't criticising him for being in the Russian league, I was saying that he will never leave the Russian league(for the reasons you mentioned), thus rendering him completely irrelevant to everyone outside of Russia. It doesn't matter if he's good or not, he is and probably forever will be irrelevant. No one is going to pay the astronomical fee it would cost to buy him, or match the astronomical wages that Zenit will be willing to pay him, because his value will never be as high to any club outside Russia as it is to Zenit. That's the bit you seem to be missing, he's not going anywhere as Zenit have absolutely no reason to sell him, so he is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.