Oleks Zinchenko - 2018/19 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Zinchenko's attitude... but honestly, where does he fit in our squad?

Defensively he was torched time and again by Robben in the ICC; offensively, honestly just watch him - he gets the ball with space in front - what does he do? - he passes it sideways/backwards nearly always. He does not attack players one-on-one - nor does he make killer forward passes.

Zinchenko is OK, and has a great attitude (apparently convincing Pep to play him in the ICC for most games) - but honestly... he's simply not of the requisite caliber to advance our side. He's awful defensively at left back; he's awful as an attacker; maybe he can play as defensive mid?

I like Zinchenko for his apparent attitude - he's obviously unqualified to be a regular starter - moreover, I think that he's not good enough to play in our side as backup.
I thought he did an excellent job last season when called upon, pace isn't his forte so he'll always get done in a foot race but he linked up well and kept things simple.
He isn't a world beater and has done really well to be still around and amongst the first team.
Got a premier league champions medal and a league cup medal already, not bad for somebody who has just been given pelters from you.
Seems a likeable lad and is always smiling, just the kind of reaction you want to see when only a squad player.

I thought he did an excellent job last season when called upon, pace isn't his forte so he'll always get done in a foot race but he linked up well and kept things simple.
He isn't a world beater and has done really well to be still around and amongst the first team.
Got a premier league champions medal and a league cup medal already, not bad for somebody who has just been given pelters from you.
Seems a likeable lad and is always smiling, just the kind of reaction you want to see when only a squad player.
Love his attitude.

Maybe he's OK at defensive mid - but if you can, watch him in the ICC v. Bayern. Maybe there's torrents or downloads available?

http://fullmatchsports.com/bayern-munich-vs-manchester-city-full-match-replay/

But don't try any downloads from the above site unless you're aware of possible copyright infringement/virus/malware risks.

Love his attitude.

Maybe he's OK at defensive mid - but if you can, watch him in the ICC v. Bayern. Maybe there's torrents or downloads available?

http://fullmatchsports.com/bayern-munich-vs-manchester-city-full-match-replay/

But don't try any downloads from the above site unless you're aware of possible copyright infringement/virus/malware risks.
He is an attacking midfielder by trade but he'll be hard pushed to dislodge those before him, pep has done what he's been doing with players for years and transforming them for a totally different position in the line up.
The bayern match was a friendly, as a whole the young inexperienced team performed admirably to come from behind against a slightly fitter Munich team and zinchenko iirc was playing left wingback against robben and ribery alternating.
You can't pick holes in his performance in a friendly and out of position, that just isn't cricket.

He is an attacking midfielder by trade but he'll be hard pushed to dislodge those before him, pep has done what he's been doing with players for years and transforming them for a totally different position in the line up.
The bayern match was a friendly, as a whole the young inexperienced team performed admirably to come from behind against a slightly fitter Munich team and zinchenko iirc was playing left wingback against robben and ribery alternating.
You can't pick holes in his performance in a friendly and out of position, that just isn't cricket.
Fair enough.

But download the ICC game v. Bayern and re-watch his performance.

Let me know what you think.

And at the same time, let me know where to find a game where he was at his best - I'll rewatch that for context.
===
I agree with the "you can't criticize someone played out of position" remark absolutely - but that's the thing - where do you think that Zinchenko is "in position"? I'm not trying to be argumentative here - it's simply that I really can't tell where his position is. If it's attacking mid... we've got a zillion far more talented players there; D. Silva, B. Silva, KDB, Mahrez, Gundogen, Diaz, Foden - have I forgotten anyone? - all would play attacking mid far better than Zinchenko.

At defensive mid, he's got youth and stamina on his side and he seems to put in a decent tackle. If he's to remain in our side, I think that's his best fit.

Break up play...

Remain calm...

And pass it to David Siva :-)

Last edited:
Fair enough.

And at the same time, let me know where to find a game where he was at his best - I'll rewatch that for context.
===
I agree with the "you can't criticize someone played out of position" remark absolutely - but that's the thing - where do you think that Zinchenko is "in position"? I'm not trying to be argumentative here - it's simply that I really can't tell where his position is.

Zinchenko isn't a LB for sure. He's a midfielder playing an inverted fullback role. His defensive skills aren't good as a LB. Yeah against Bayern he was playing LWB which is why he got torched. Pep did change it for the 2nd half and made him play in the midfield in possession and shift to LB into a back 4 defensively so he wasn't as high up the pitch.

You have to look at him similarly to Marcelo at Madrid. I'm not going to say he's at that level (far from it), but put both of them in sides who can't keep the ball well and they suffer because they have to defend more. Pep uses him there to gain more midfield control just like Delph there they come inside like an extra man in possession. He's not there to take on his man or play an amazing pass forward. He's there to keep it away from the opposition and give it to players like KDB and Silva who can. Basically he's playing as an emergency LB. You would hope that when both Mendy and Delph is fit they start. He may play LB in cup games to give them rest.

Zinchenko did better than I expected in the Liverpool game as a DM. He was able to keep and circulate the ball well. If he can be cover for those 2 slots we make keep him.

Zinchenko isn't a LB for sure. He's a midfielder playing an inverted fullback role. His defensive skills aren't good as a LB. Yeah against Bayern he was playing LWB which is why he got torched. Pep did change it for the 2nd half and made him play in the midfield in possession and shift to LB into a back 4 defensively so he wasn't as high up the pitch.

You have to look at him similarly to Marcelo at Madrid. I'm not going to say he's at that level (far from it), but put both of them in sides who can't keep the ball well and they suffer because they have to defend more. Pep uses him there to gain more midfield control just like Delph there they come inside like an extra man in possession. He's not there to take on his man or play an amazing pass forward. He's there to keep it away from the opposition and give it to players like KDB and Silva who can. Basically he's playing as an emergency LB. You would hope that when both Mendy and Delph is fit they start. He may play LB in cup games to give them rest.

Zinchenko did better than I expected in the Liverpool game as a DM. He was able to keep and circulate the ball well. If he can be cover for those 2 slots we make keep him.
Yup - I think his best position might well be DM - and given our lack of depth there, he might well be an asset worth keeping at that position.

Fair enough.

===
I agree with the "you can't criticize someone played out of position" remark absolutely - but that's the thing - where do you think that Zinchenko is "in position"? I'm not trying to be argumentative here - it's simply that I really can't tell where his position is. If it's attacking mid... we've got a zillion far more talented players there; D. Silva, B. Silva, KDB, Mahrez, Gundogen, Diaz, Foden - have I forgotten anyone? - all would play attacking mid far better than Zinchenko.

At defensive mid, he's got youth and stamina on his side and he seems to put in a decent tackle. If he's to remain in our side, I think that's his best fit.

Break up play...

Remain calm...

And pass it to David Siva :-)
Your last three lines sums his significance up perfectly.
Get the ball.
Play the ball.
Hold position.
Nothing spectacular but a part of the well oiled machine.

I like Zinchenko for his apparent attitude - but he's obviously not skilled enough to be a regular starter - moreover, I think that he's not good enough to play in our side as a backup.

Funny that as I thought I saw him do just that very thing last season as a left back, having never played left back before, I am also sure he will be under instruction about retaining possession and one thing people will learn quickly is you do what Pep wants or you will be gone, more so if you are a young boy tbh.

He isn't skilled enough to be 50m player that is the truth but if he can come in and recycle the ball like he has shown a great skill at, (didn't he had a pass completion in the 90% more than once last season.) this will endear him to the manager, I hope he stays and he can back up left back and DM no problem at all and he can be given a start in the league cup games and any early round FA cup or Champs league Gimme's.

As for you saying 20 times you like him, you have a funny way of showing it in the rest of the stuff you typed.

Funny that as I thought I saw him do just that very thing last season as a left back, having never played left back
After watching City v. Bayern in the ICC, I'd be scared to death of Zinchenko starting at LB.

As I've stated above, Zinchenko has - apparently - a great attitude. And probably could contribute as DM. Against sides where we're going to win no matter what - he could start anywhere - put him in goal if you want.

But he's not good enough to be a backup to LB or attacking mid. He may or may not be good enough to be a backup DM; I'm inclined to think that he would be a decent DM. In this limited role I think he could contribute to our side. As a DM he'd simply need to break up play and pass the ball to a better player. He seems to be able to do that - I think - but I haven't watched him enough as DM to gauge how well he reads the game.
===
Tell you what... all of this is subjective honestly.

Let me know where you think Zinchenko best plays. And then let's watch him play next season at that position. And evaluate how well he does. I think that if he plays as DM when we're the better side he'll do best. In other positions he may struggle, IMO.

But let's see the coming season.

And I suppose that the transfer window is still open - who knows - maybe Zincheko is traded/loaned and all of this is moot.

Last edited:
After watching City v. Bayern in the ICC, 1 I'd be scared to death of Zinchenko starting at LB.
2 But he's not good enough to be a backup to LB or attacking mid.
Let me know where you think Zinchenko best plays.

1 Did you not watch us last year ? Or do you only judge players off one pre-season game now, a game where he is was nearly the most senior experienced player in the team.

2 Like you have already been told, he was good enough last season and I see no reason why he wouldn't be again, so a little question for you, how many games did he lose while back up left back, I am sure we didn't lose in any of the 8 games he played back up left back, what a hindrance eh.

I would imagine Zinchenko will play best as an attacking midfielder as that is his position but he won't play there for us but if he is willing to graft hard for the team, games will be available for a player that can retain the ball and pass accurately and more to the point quickly, just like the boss wants.

Have you noticed Pep chasing him out of the club, the 16m Wolves bid has been on the table for weeks, suggesting Pep would be quite happy to have him available when required or needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.