Oliver Holt - Why Manchester City has lost its soul...

judleberry said:
bizzbo said:
well, look, it's an opinion piece.
words like 'soul' are just window dressing on sentimentality. people don't like to see others lose their job.

olly holt is right in one respect, that they didn't have to do it now, they could have given him until the end of the season.

but then he goes on to imply this is obviously a short term decision, and that is a superficial judgement. if it was a short-term decision it makes little sense to think the upheaval caused by the sacking is outweighed by Mancini's competance, in terms of our chances of gettting fourth this year.

the decision makes a lot more sense if you think about it on a more basic level. rightly or wrongly they felt they had arrived at their judgement on Hughes, what was the point in allowing him more time to impose his methods, his players, to allow him and his staff to become more entwined with the club? why give him tens of milliions of pounds? why not let someone else try?

what happened when sven spent half a season as a dead-man? a vicious media war and a split club. all sorts of things printed about thaksin. it might have ended up the same for certain people connected with city if hughes was desperately fighting to keep his job. as you see here, the press need little encouragement to lay into football administrators, especially foreigners. I liked many things about hughes, he showed a lot of dignity when dealing with Thaksin, and he showed it again yesterday, but he is no angel in these matters. this time last year when he was under great pressure a whole flurry of stories appeared in the press laying the blame at all sorts of things, saying all sorts of things about players. IMO hughes has too many friends in the media, and the football world, to risk anything apart from a clean break.

if he is going, you probably have to get rid of him. at the very least you have nothing to lose by letting someone else try. it's that simple. it's never pretty, but it is pretty straightforward. it will not have happened this way by design. personally I believe city realised how desperate he was to keep his job, and what that meant he might say and do.

if you've worked in HR, you'll know what I'm talking about. you are taking away someone's livelihood, their dignity, their status. in desperate times people do desperate things. in fact the way this sacking happened showed Mark under a very good light. city look heartless, but not stupid.

we have lost goodwill, but perhaps we have avoided a repeat of the end of sven's time here.

Perhaps, I just don't like the idea of Hughes sitting with his dad upset, with his wife sitting beside Brian Kidd who was plotting to have her husband sacked behind his back whilst pretending to be his friend, and that 44000 people at the ground effectively knew he had lost his job before he did.

I don't buy the bit about Hughes sway over the media. I really do think that Hughes gave his all whilst he was hear. Our owner didn't think that was quite good enough. But they should have rewarded him some respect. It is Christmas after all!

I have been a Hughes inner throughout, however I would do it f0r the 50K he got for that match and the knowledge that I would get over 3 million in compensation afterwords. Give it a break, I know a lot of people who have had to work out their notice at work after being let go off by their employers, the only difference being it was for a lot less money.

If I'd spent 500 million on a club only to get grief when I install my own man, I'd be thinking should have purchased Liverpool instead.

judleberry said:
bizzbo said:
well, look, it's an opinion piece.
words like 'soul' are just window dressing on sentimentality. people don't like to see others lose their job.

olly holt is right in one respect, that they didn't have to do it now, they could have given him until the end of the season.

but then he goes on to imply this is obviously a short term decision, and that is a superficial judgement. if it was a short-term decision it makes little sense to think the upheaval caused by the sacking is outweighed by Mancini's competance, in terms of our chances of gettting fourth this year.

the decision makes a lot more sense if you think about it on a more basic level. rightly or wrongly they felt they had arrived at their judgement on Hughes, what was the point in allowing him more time to impose his methods, his players, to allow him and his staff to become more entwined with the club? why give him tens of milliions of pounds? why not let someone else try?

what happened when sven spent half a season as a dead-man? a vicious media war and a split club. all sorts of things printed about thaksin. it might have ended up the same for certain people connected with city if hughes was desperately fighting to keep his job. as you see here, the press need little encouragement to lay into football administrators, especially foreigners. I liked many things about hughes, he showed a lot of dignity when dealing with Thaksin, and he showed it again yesterday, but he is no angel in these matters. this time last year when he was under great pressure a whole flurry of stories appeared in the press laying the blame at all sorts of things, saying all sorts of things about players. IMO hughes has too many friends in the media, and the football world, to risk anything apart from a clean break.

if he is going, you probably have to get rid of him. at the very least you have nothing to lose by letting someone else try. it's that simple. it's never pretty, but it is pretty straightforward. it will not have happened this way by design. personally I believe city realised how desperate he was to keep his job, and what that meant he might say and do.

if you've worked in HR, you'll know what I'm talking about. you are taking away someone's livelihood, their dignity, their status. in desperate times people do desperate things. in fact the way this sacking happened showed Mark under a very good light. city look heartless, but not stupid.

we have lost goodwill, but perhaps we have avoided a repeat of the end of sven's time here.

Perhaps, I just don't like the idea of Hughes sitting with his dad upset, with his wife sitting beside Brian Kidd who was plotting to have her husband sacked behind his back whilst pretending to be his friend, and that 44000 people at the ground effectively knew he had lost his job before he did.

I don't buy the bit about Hughes sway over the media. I really do think that Hughes gave his all whilst he was hear. Our owner didn't think that was quite good enough. But they should have rewarded him some respect. It is Christmas after all!
i would feel really sorry for some bloke in his twenties with a couple of kids loosing his job,and not much chance of getting another one for the next couple of years ,but not to much for somebody who is probably a millionaire already and about to get another couple of million , and after a nice long holiday will walk right into another job at Bolton ,after the heartless bastards sack megson

Cheesy said:
Oliver Holt - What a cnut.

And if you're reading this Oliver you can quote me on that you parasitic twattish knobbish wanker.
He's actually one of the best writers. A top fella by all accounts.

kettle and black come to mind, the words of slimey journo who like all the papers score points with one sided rhetoric. Omits to mention the managerial mis haps, omits to mention the 2 wins in 11 games, omits the fact that a club that has had over £200 million invested in the squad yet the tactics have yeilded a win rate of 39%.

As I posted yesterday their venom should be directed at the crumbling so called empire in Stretford.

Forza Mancini

CTID

prima

18 months isnt really a knee jerk reaction is it.

The amount of people on sky who keep coming up with "lost only 2 all season" and "in the semi finals" shows you none of them know the facts.

"Only lost 2 all season" = How many have we actually won. Has there been any game when we have pretty much dominated. 2 wins in 11 is the fact.

"In the semi finals"= yes, fantastic. But we have faced an average Crystal Palace and Scunthorpe, a reserve Fulham, and Arsenals kids to get there. yes city of old would have probably messed up somewhere but after 200 odd million spent, you expect us to get through these.

The fact is, Hughes had chances, was given chances and backing, but the team defensivly was looking worse by the week.
How we are still 6th with a game in hand after 2 wins in 11 shows you what a strange year it is with everyone taking points off everyone else. Any other year we wouldnt be in with a sniff.
Villa have opened a gap on us, and the way we were defending and playing that gap would have only got wider by the week

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.