One of the Worst Premier League Seasons?

I'm scratching my head here. We've won the league cup, got to the semi's of the champions league and are possibly top 4...but these achievements are puzzling as we've been dog for most of the season.
We've played better in past seasons and had fuck all to show for it.
Football. ...it's a funny old game.

Yes it's weird. Assuming we get 4th its not too different in a sense to 2011 when we finished 3rd and won a cup but it feels a lot worse despite the CL semi-final.

Maybe it's because we all know that the PL was there for the taking and it's the end of an era for a lot of this team?

Great times ahead but a feeling of underachievement?

Dunno the answer but you're probably right: basically we all know that by our recent standards we've been shite too often this season.

Yes it's weird. Assuming we get 4th its not too different in a sense to 2011 when we finished 3rd and won a cup but it feels a lot worse despite the CL semi-final.

Maybe it's because we all know that the PL was there for the taking and it's the end of an era for a lot of this team?

Dunno the answer but you're probably right: basically we all know that by our recent standards we've been shite too often this season.

For me it was winning the first 5 games playing great football. Completely raised my expectations to a new level. After the first 5, apart from a few highlights it's been below average.

It is exciting for the neutral to see a team like leicester win it and for supposedly better teams to struggle.

However, other than our predicament, there's nothing really left to fight for on the final day. The title's won and the relegation battle has been won. Other than a battle to finish fourth, today feels like a formality.

When the same teams were always at the top it was boring and predictable, now they're not and the standard isn't good enough? For us it's been frustrating, but i think for the neutral it's been good, although a bit of a damp ending.

Next season could be great, but if i was an Arsenal fan i'd be very worried.

Defo a feeling of underachievement and I'd even say we've played that bad you could flip it on its head and say we've actually overachieved for how shit we've been.

If we're talking about the PL season as a whole, Leicester, Spurs & West Ham fans will be delighted and Southampton, Bournemouth & Watford fans will be very pleased with how their seasons have panned out. Sunderland fans won't be too disappointed and Liverpool fans will feel they've seen enough to give them confidence for next season (but what's new there). But the fans of the other 12 clubs will be disappointed with their season to a greater or lesser degree. And apart from Leicester, with so many teams having an underwhelming season, that doesn't make it a great season overall.

Not sure I'd include Watford in that list. Sure, to us their season looks respectable and the first half of the season they looked really good, but judging by the comments the Watford fans were making on the BBC live updates thing at the time when Flores was sacked, they view their 2016 performances as being relegation material. While the neutrals were absolutely bemused at them canning the manager, they were absolutely jubilant, they were loving his dismissal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.