Open arms for new fans !

Comes with the territory of success I think.
The more successful the club the more fans we will attract. Its part of human nature to be attracted by all the good things success brings. So yeah we will see new supporters from far and wide. Its happening even now to be honest. Some lads in front of me with a Helenic Greece supporters flag in Level 3 308 last night. Fair play to them thats a fair journey (If they came from Greece). I think a lot of our long term loyal support, I count at least a hardcore 35K, of which I count myself as one, have a fear we will become like that lot over the road. Certainly not in the short term.

The main difference is they have a 75k stadium to fill. The bean counters don't give a flying where they come from to fill it now that the season ticket waiting list has vanished. Now although lots on BM like to believe its full of day trippers a large section of the support they have is as loyal as ours despite the fact some of it comes from London or Ireland or Singapore or wherever (guessing about 55k). But surely all that go are not the antithisis we hate so much but the armchair plastics who have so much to say yet never venture to OT. Never the less I reckon 20k day trippers and the like.

Our stadium currently holds 48k. Now I've not checked the numbers but think we have at least 30-35k season ticket holders. Taking into account away allocation of 3k(league games). That leaves 10k seats to fill from occasionals-corporate-Member card holders etc which we currently do. We don't really have the capacity to accommodate a generation of new fans brought about by any "success". If they want to fall in love with and support City they will have to do it from the comfort of their armchairs.

We face a strange dilemma. Without the numbers at hand its a difficult one. Clearly it would be foolish not to increase our revenue stream when the possibilities exist to do so. In fact I would say its imperative in view of FFPR. Clearly it would involve huge expense to seek to expand or rebuild a stadium with greater capacity. No such move could be sanctioned without a suitable demand. I believe we are currently reaching that point having sold out home support allocation practically every home match. So where do we go? In the short term the club have to balance the current economy downturn against the pressing need for revenue increase. It will be interesting to see what kind of prices season cards will be next year. Anyone think it depends if we win the League as to how much of our hard earned we'll be asked to stump up?

I digress somewhat, however in response to the OP statement. YES of course we should open our arms for new supporters no matter where they come from (dark side not of course). Some Gloryhunters are an inevitable consequence of on field success. But there's nowhere for them or any new genuine fans to sit and watch at the ETIHAD at the moment. Its an excuse we've heard from across the road from their "plastics" for years. So what are we going to do?

MCFC 4 EVER said:
I couldn't care less if some twats in America wear our shirts and support us just as long as they don't get anywhere near COMS/Etihad
How nice. Considered saving a week of my holiday, scrape together some hard earned money, ask my local branch of the supporters club to reserve me a ticket, buy a plane ticket, order a hotel room - sometime next season. Guess i shouldn't bother then since I'm not a manc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

DruntBlunt said:
MCFC 4 EVER said:
I couldn't care less if some twats in America wear our shirts and support us just as long as they don't get anywhere near COMS/Etihad
How nice. Considered saving a week of my holiday, scrape together some hard earned money, ask my local branch of the supporters club to reserve me a ticket, buy a plane ticket, order a hotel room - sometime next season. Guess i shouldn't bother then since I'm not a manc.

Don't be put off by what others think, if you want to go and support your team, do it!

Just seen a few Man City tops in Bradford and for some reason it brought a smile to my face lets face it would rather see Sky Blue shirts than Rag tops :)

DruntBlunt said:
MCFC 4 EVER said:

I am referring to those who only support us because of the money we have, the types who didn't even know that we existed before the takeover, those who wouldn't be able to name a single pre-takeover manager or player. Not those who are lifelong blues who live in another country

IQ tests for new fans should sort the glory hunters out. Can't make decisions for themselves. Or prehaps we'll attract more lovely looking ladies like Chelski seem to have. I'm all for that :P

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.