Operation One End

Gary James said:
It's always been the case that City fans have liked the banter with away fans. Wherever the away fans have been moved to on a permanent basis the more vocal fans tend to move to be near them (over a period of time).

If away fans are to be moved on a permanent basis then the more vocal home fans would also have to move as well to ensure atmosphere works.

When away fans were moved to the old North Stand at Maine Road, the rest of the North Stand became much more vocal than it had ever been before (since it was seated). It used to contain families and so on, but the makeup of those sitting there changed because fans liked the banter.

The same happened with the old wooden Platt Lane in the early 80s when away fans had a large support on the open corner. Fans gathered at the end of the Kippax nearest the away fans and in the PL seats nearest them.

We have lots of evidence of this and what's happened over the years.

Moving the away fans from our most vocal support (and giving the away fans an area where the sound can come booming down due to the stadium's design) is never likely to help the atmosphere unless the vocal home fans also move.

Personally, I'd extend the stadium and look at ways of creating something special then. Bring in acoustic experts and experts on human behaviour and get to grips with the nature of support, banter etc. This needs to be properly researched and investigated, but with the right level of detail it must be possible to create an area for support that allows the banter, the noise (from home fans) to grow, while keeping the away fans out of sight of the cameras.

Had we had City's more vocal fans on level 3 next to the Bayern fans the atmosphere would have been outstanding last night - that's why the old Kippax developed its reputation because they were on the side of the pitch next to away fans.
Had the same discussion last night as me an friends have always done this moving from one end of the kippax to the other when platt lane was being re built etc . only time I haven't sat near away fans was first season at the new stadium which was due to us sitting in AA lower of the kippax and being moved to a similar position in the new stadium. Only lasted one season as it was terrible so moved to 111. If the club want to carry on with having one end think the most sensible option would be to put the away fans down the side and push the two 'singing sections' together.

Lots of theories on what should and what could make atmosphere better but one thing that is very important to note is that different countries and different clubs in those countries have supporters that respond to, and make, atmosphere in different ways.

Go to Germany at the moment and the fans sing constantly for 90 minutes, winning or losing. I think it's fantastic, although it is orchestrated, and if anyone thinks 90 minutes of virtual silence like you get in this country is better because we are 'spontaneous' then I just don't get it. Either way it's not the English culture and little Ingerlunders are loathe to take ideas from Johnny Foriegner no matter how good they are.

In England you have two different types of atmosphere.

There is one where a wall of support at one end/side creates the noise, regardless of away fans. This was largely the culture in the old terraces days, where a Kop, a Streford End, a North Bank or a Kippax would all, en-masse, sing their support.

Nowadays, that wall of support no longer exists with seating and it's not what makes our fans tick. That's why it was doomed to failure. What does make our fans tick is the banter with the away fans and having someone to sing it. It may be deemed as wrong by some but. nevertheless, it's a fact, so if we want to get back to the best atmosphere our fans can produce then the way fans must stay where they have been since 2003.

The atmosphere at City games home and away is bloody awful these days as it is but last night was a joke effort from the supposed wall. It was a nice try but it's not going to work.

i spoke to the leader of my supporters club last night and he attends many meetings about stuff like this, he said it's not going to happen, he's on the fence about it but he said most people at the meetings are saying it'd cost to much and be too much hassle.

i think last night proved it wouldn't work, but i would move them to 121 if possible. then we still get the banter and a larger area of standing supporters together.

I honestly cant believe people thought this would ever work..

Stupid fuckin idea from the start..

Nice to see some folk eat their own words!

manchester blue said:
M22 Blue said:
You can't have a great atmosphere without any rival fans to vibe off.

Yes you can. Bayern Munich did for one. We were in the gods and their fans were well loud. The South stand was shite tonight. Utter shite. Put it to bed.

I'm talkin about us specifically, we love the banter. European supporters are on another level compared to English fans.

For me, the "away fan issue" was created as an excuse to people moaning about the atmosphere.

There is nothing wrong with keeping them in the SS, we've already proved that when we want to, we can create a top atmosphere in Eastlands.

It just seems our fans fans are more expectant than ever now and instead of getting behind the team from kick off, they want to be entertained before we create any kind of noise.

Hopefully we can put this one to bed, thank the club for listening and trying - not many others would. And start to look a bit closer to home for why the ground can get quiet.

thought the atmosphere in the SS last night was shocking .. love going in there for night games normally but was full of daytrippers taking photos. just doesn't work having the away fans on the 3rd tier - its like they're not actually there.

i still do not understand why they cannot look at putting the away fans in 110/111/210/212. i know the arguments about the coach parks and access etc, but what's the difference if they can accommodate them in level 3? at least that way you would retain the banter and also have a full end of vocal city.

GStar said:
For me, the "away fan issue" was created as an excuse to people moaning about the atmosphere.

There is nothing wrong with keeping them in the SS, we've already proved that when we want to, we can create a top atmosphere in Eastlands.

It just seems our fans fans are more expectant than ever now and instead of getting behind the team from kick off, they want to be entertained before we create any kind of noise.

Hopefully we can put this one to bed, thank the club for listening and trying - not many others would. And start to look a bit closer to home for why the ground can get quiet.
Your last paragraph just about sums it up.
If people on here could sing as loud as they can moan we would have a great atmosphere!

harry the plumber said:
GStar said:

Your last paragraph just about sums it up.
If people on here could sing as loud as they can moan we would have a great atmosphere!
Agree.

Abject failure. City have trialled it, it patently didn't work and some of the reasons given for it not working are pretty sad. Sorry guys, "tourists" and people who don't know the words are pretty feeble reasons given for it not happening.
Stop messing with EL3 season ticket holders now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.