Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rate Otamendi from what Ive seen but debatable whether we need him. Then again we're hardly short of a few bob

To me, that is the actual point imo. How good Otamendi is is almost irrelevant, as we simply don't need him. You barely need 4 CB's at the club (as shown by Boyata only playing about 4 times last year, almost if not all of them were voluntary rather than by neccessity) and we currently have pretty much the perfect balance you'd want from your 4.

We have the experience and nous of Demichelis, who also has gotten used to our system and knows it inside out from either side of the defence and is coming to an age where he'll be more accepting of a rotation role. We have Kompany, who when fully fit and firing is just about as dominant a CB as you'll find, along with being our captain. Then we have Mangala, who is physically exceptional, has good experience and looked to be getting more and more at home in our system as the season went on, then finally we have Denayer, one of the most promising young CB's in world football. We're already getting rid of Rekik, another of the most promising young CB's in the world, just because we don't have space for him in the first team with the defenders we have, so I don't see any reason why we'd be looking to add another to that mix.

What I'm interested to find out, is if Denayer can play on the left side. He occasionally found himself there for Celtic, when Van Dijk was drawn out of position & they never seemed in any hurry to swap back. He looked very comfortable.
If he can play there & he settles into Premier League football as quickly as he settled into international football, I wonder what the situation would be with Mangala. Kompany has plenty of years left in him if he can be less injured. Both could play together at club & international level.

By the end of this season we could find outselves with a 30 mil cb who can't get a game, before we even sign another one to sit on the bench with him.

This whole link smacks of a leak from Valencia to get the other lot to bid more.

It may be we've been offered him but I doubt we'll actually buy him.

Let me get this straight, would we be getting him on the cheap? Or would we be loosing our £25 million from Negredo and paying say 5/10 million on top of that for him? And if so what would happen regarding us using that money to buy Bony? As that money was meant to go into our books to cover that wasn't it?
Anyone? Haha

I rate Otamendi from what Ive seen but debatable whether we need him. Then again we're hardly short of a few bob

What was worse last season - our attack or defence?

I know attacking signings are the most exciting, but we're gambling a lot on Kompany regaining his form. Mangala will probably improve, Demichelis likely to go the other way. A top centre-back and strong midfielder to replace Fernando would improve our team balance/defensive shape a lot.

If it is financially possible - as in not compromising our other targets - Otamendi would be a great signing. He was outstanding for Valencia, 10x better than Kompany last season, and his physicality and resolute defending (something we seem to lack, something Lescott was good at and the Chelsea defenders do well), would really suit the Prem. We'd also have a second leader at the back.

When there were reports United favoured Otamendi over Hummels, my stomach turned, because I knew United would be signing a weapon at the back rather than a somewhat overhyped Dortmund player.

Kompany/Otamendi/Mangala/Denayer would be ridiculously good options. Two leaders, two young beasts. Rotate at will.

PS: But I have strong doubts this deal will happen! I just hope he doesn't end up at the swamp.

What was worse last season - our attack or defence?

I know attacking signings are the most exciting, but we're gambling a lot on Kompany regaining his form. Mangala will probably improve, Demichelis likely to go the other way. A top centre-back and strong midfielder to replace Fernando would improve our team balance/defensive shape a lot.

If it is financially possible - as in not compromising our other targets - Otamendi would be a great signing. He was outstanding for Valencia, 10x better than Kompany last season, and his physicality and resolute defending (something we seem to lack, something Lescott was good at and the Chelsea defenders do well), would really suit the Prem. We'd also have a second leader at the back.

When there were reports United favoured Otamendi over Hummels, my stomach turned, because I knew United would be signing a weapon at the back rather than a somewhat overhyped Dortmund player.

Kompany/Otamendi/Mangala/Denayer would be ridiculously good options. Two leaders, two young beasts. Rotate at will.

PS: But I have strong doubts this deal will happen! I just hope he doesn't end up at the swamp.
Attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.