Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Marca + Sport: City could better United's bid of £24.8m for Nicolas Otamendi and use the £22.2m Valencia owe for Negredo as a discount." - @CityWatch

I'd say midfield was our biggest problem, not attack or defence. (which obviously leads to both the attack and defence not being as good as they should be)

What I'm interested to find out, is if Denayer can play on the left side. He occasionally found himself there for Celtic, when Van Dijk was drawn out of position & they never seemed in any hurry to swap back. He looked very comfortable.
If he can play there & he settles into Premier League football as quickly as he settled into international football, I wonder what the situation would be with Mangala. Kompany has plenty of years left in him if he can be less injured. Both could play together at club & international level.

By the end of this season we could find outselves with a 30 mil cb who can't get a game, before we even sign another one to sit on the bench with him.
Pretty sure Denayer played on the left all the time for the EDS, with Facey on the right? Not sure positioning is exactly the strongest area to his game anyway, so I imagine he'd be fine on either side as he does a fair amount of running to get back into position anyway. Either way, I wouldn't see him being able to play on the left as a problem for Mangala, it would just be a bonus that allowed us to have only 3 CB's. You always need 3 centerbacks anyway, especially with Kompanys injuries, it would just mean that Denayer could cover either spot when neccesary, it wouldn't mean Mangala couldn't get a game (it would just be a lot like this year, but him playing the role of Demichelis)

Personally, I think if Denayer really hits the ground running, then Kompany is the one in danger, not Mangala. Mangala and Denayers games go together a lot better than Denayer and Kompanys imo. As good as Kompany is, he doesn't sweep up and cover for his teammate in the way that Demi and Mangala do, which Denayer would probably need with the way he likes to come out and challenge people, like Kompany. I think they'd be a bit too similar to play together. Either way, it would be a lovely problem to have!

What was worse last season - our attack or defence?

I know attacking signings are the most exciting, but we're gambling a lot on Kompany regaining his form. Mangala will probably improve, Demichelis likely to go the other way. A top centre-back and strong midfielder to replace Fernando would improve our team balance/defensive shape a lot.

If it is financially possible - as in not compromising our other targets - Otamendi would be a great signing. He was outstanding for Valencia, 10x better than Kompany last season, and his physicality and resolute defending (something we seem to lack, something Lescott was good at and the Chelsea defenders do well), would really suit the Prem. We'd also have a second leader at the back.

When there were reports United favoured Otamendi over Hummels, my stomach turned, because I knew United would be signing a weapon at the back rather than a somewhat overhyped Dortmund player.

Kompany/Otamendi/Mangala/Denayer would be ridiculously good options. Two leaders, two young beasts. Rotate at will.

PS: But I have strong doubts this deal will happen! I just hope he doesn't end up at the swamp.

Neither attack nor defence was worse... Our Central Midfield is where there was imbalance i.e Allowing defenders too much space too run at our back 4 and not enough impetus from midfield to spur on attack. Pogba could resolve this issue as long as Pellegrini plays him alongside Fernandinho.

Pretty sure Denayer played on the left all the time for the EDS, with Facey on the right? Not sure positioning is exactly the strongest area to his game anyway, so I imagine he'd be fine on either side as he does a fair amount of running to get back into position anyway. Either way, I wouldn't see him being able to play on the left as a problem for Mangala, it would just be a bonus that allowed us to have only 3 CB's. You always need 3 centerbacks anyway, especially with Kompanys injuries, it would just mean that Denayer could cover either spot when neccesary, it wouldn't mean Mangala couldn't get a game (it would just be a lot like this year, but him playing the role of Demichelis)

Personally, I think if Denayer really hits the ground running, then Kompany is the one in danger, not Mangala. Mangala and Denayers games go together a lot better than Denayer and Kompanys imo. As good as Kompany is, he doesn't sweep up and cover for his teammate in the way that Demi and Mangala do, which Denayer would probably need with the way he likes to come out and challenge people, like Kompany. I think they'd be a bit too similar to play together. Either way, it would be a lovely problem to have!

are you sure you're on the right forum? you talk sense and seem to have a vague clue as to how the games is played.

I'd say midfield was our biggest problem, not attack or defence. (which obviously leads to both the attack and defence not being as good as they should be)

Absolutely, but we are an attacking side who hardly ever sets up to defend, & the biggest difference between the title winning season, & last season, is the lack of goals scored.

Why people assume buying another cb anyway, is going to solve our defensive problems is beyond me. It's a team game & that's where we have fallen down in both areas. But the biggest failure has been on the attacking side, where we have become much less effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.