Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
And then what? Who's place does he take?

Whoever is injured, suspended or out of form. Same as in midfield. We have Fernando, Fernandinho, Toure and are supposedly after Pogba and Wishere. They can't all play every game but will no doubt all get their chances throughout the season.

Pellegrini has shown that he likes to rotate defenders fairly frequently (not something I am a fan of to be honest), so they'll no doubt get opportunities to show their worth.

At the end of the day, we are always going to be looking for players to improve us if and when they become available. Whether we are interested in him, I guess depends on whether they think that Otamendi is such a player.

Why are people afraid of having a deep squad? All the elite clubs have deep squads full of elite talent. Munich/Barca/Juve /Madrid all are deep and go far in Europe. Being deep is a good problem to have because if a top player wants out you have other clubs wanting to pay over the odds for them. Are we not tired of only Italian clubs wanting to take away players with "option to buy" offers?

There's another thread on here asking about grabbing Gotze away from Bayern but afraid to possibly take advantage of Valencia's position with us to score a top quality CB? Chelsea slowly bringing Zouma along and he played top level football for years! That's how we should treat Denayer.

Yes, we are forking out 30 million. The 20 they owe us, plus 10 more. Then we have to sell one of our overseas players to make room for him & we may lose Denayer, who we already have, & is homegrown, & U21 thus not taking any space in the squad.
Question is how much outflow will we see in our books for this deal? Answer is ten million quid. Its just like where Juve wants 70m for Pogba and they want Jojo as well and are willing to pay 20m, how much are we actually paying for Pogba? 50m even though Pogba is worth 70m. This kind of deal is quite different from, for example, signing Sterling for 50m fresh funds. And don't you worry about Pogba, Sterling and Debruyne because the funds are already in place and we are not a club like Liverpool who need inflow from party A before they can pay party B for a target. To pass up the opportunity to strenghten our defence with much needed experience and proven defensive prowess for 10 million pounds extra pounds whilst allowing our youngster to develop further is not shrewd imho. Both players are inexperienced in the PL and probably have equal chance to flop or succeed but at the moment, Otamendi is the better defender at least judging by their perfomances in the season just gone by. This is not to say that Denayer cannot grow to become the better defender though.

Why are people afraid of having a deep squad? All the elite clubs have deep squads full of elite talent. Munich/Barca/Juve /Madrid all are deep and go far in Europe. Being deep is a good problem to have because if a top player wants out you have other clubs wanting to pay over the odds for them. Are we not tired of only Italian clubs wanting to take away players with "option to buy" offers?

There's another thread on here asking about grabbing Gotze away from Bayern but afraid to possibly take advantage of Valencia's position with us to score a top quality CB? Chelsea slowly bringing Zouma along and he played top level football for years! That's how we should treat Denayer.
If you look at most of the top sides in the world, they regularly play the same back 4 every game, for example john terry who is in his mid thirties played every single match in the league for Chelsea last season so I've never got this need for rotation. Our defence actually looked decent last season once we had a settled back four towards the end of the campaign. Signing Otamendi pretty forces Pellegrini to rotate to keep everyone happy.

And zouma is a bit different to Denayer as he can play RB/CB/CDM while Denayer has only ever played at CB and city also has persuade him to stay with his contract situation as I would suspect every top club in Europe will be looking at him.

Its all paper talk anywy imo, just cannot see us signing yet another centre back so soon after splashing out 30 million on Mangala. Maybe next season once Demi leaves and if Kompany fails to regain his form.

Question is how much outflow will we see in our books for this deal? Answer is ten million quid. Its just like where Juve wants 70m for Pogba and they want Jojo as well and are willing to pay 20m, how much are we actually paying for Pogba? 50m even though Pogba is worth 70m. This kind of deal is quite different from, for example, signing Sterling for 50m fresh funds. And don't you worry about Pogba, Sterling and Debruyne because the funds are already in place and we are not a club like Liverpool who need inflow from party A before they can pay party B for a target. To pass up the opportunity to strenghten our defence with much needed experience and proven defensive prowess for 10 million pounds extra pounds whilst allowing our youngster to develop further is not shrewd imho. Both players are inexperienced in the PL and probably have equal chance to flop or succeed but at the moment, Otamendi is the better defender at least judging by their perfomances in the season just gone by. This is not to say that Denayer cannot grow to become the better defender though.
How can he develop if Kompany, Otamendi and Mangala are ahead of him?

If you look at most of the top sides in the world, they regularly play the same back 4 every game, for example john terry who is in his mid thirties played every single match in the league for Chelsea last season so I've never got this need for rotation. Our defence actually looked decent last season once we had a settled back four towards the end of the campaign. Signing Otamendi pretty forces Pellegrini to rotate to keep everyone happy.

And zouma is a bit different to Denayer as he can play RB/CB/CDM while Denayer has only ever played at CB and city also has persuade him to stay with his contract situation as I would suspect every top club in Europe will be looking at him.

Its all paper talk anywy imo, just cannot see us signing yet another centre back so soon after splashing our 30 million on Mangala. Maybe next season once Demi leaves and if Kompany fails to regain his form.

Zouma played 19 games with only 2 played as a DM. 19 games in a team who really ever played 2 Cb's the entire season since they don't really rotate. Can't put a whole lot of confidence in VK being healthy all season and Demi to continue to be our best defender. It's better to plan now than to wait till it's an absolute need or we'll be I'm the same position out midfield is currently in. That's why they say it's not a "priority" but being monitored and certainly if it's true about how it could be paid, it's certainly a great deal with Bony/Otamendi +10 for the price of Negredo.

How can he develop if Kompany, Otamendi and Mangala are ahead of him?
Jason has got many years ahead of him so that's not a problem. If he works hard, injuries, dip in form and rotation policy would help him get his chance. Would you have thought at the start of the season that a fit VK would be on the bench for an important match while MDM and Manga start but that happened. Its a good problem having 4 good CBs and the Manager can simply play the best and second best in PL and UCL games while the other two get the nod in league cup games. I believe this is very doable.
Edit: another benefit of having 4 good CBs is that you can decide to cash in on one in the future if you probably wanna strenghen another area. You'll get your cool bucks since you're not under pressure to sell.Sounds pretty cool to me.

Last edited:
Jason has got many years ahead of him so that's not a problem. If he works hard, injuries, dip in form and rotation policy would help him get his chance. Would you have thought at the start of the season that a fit VK would be on the bench for an important match while MDM and Manga start but that happened. Its a good problem having 4 good CBs and the Manager can simply play the best and second best in PL and UCL games while the other two get the nod in league cup games. I believe this is very doable.
I cant see him being happy with that, he will be wanting to start every game not the odd token league cup game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.