Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not international standard ones...should need far less time than a kid who is just beginning.

I will be quite disappointed if we sign another centre back this window when we need to strengthen elsewhere. Vinny & Mangala should be the starting pair and get as much game time together as they can. I believe they can become one of the best pairings in the league this season.

If they are good enough they are old enough. Just look at Stones @ Everton - no one would have a problem if he came. At some point we need to blood some of our own youth it lifts the rest of the EDS etc.

If he is good enough to play for Belgian then he should certainly be good enough to get on the bench and given some playing time.

We should do...Kompany and Mangala poor last year...Denayer needs easing in...we threw Savic and Nastasic in at the deep end..,neither were ready..
Nastasic won City's young player of the season in his first year, he struggled in his second season due to Pellegrini's high line, but it's unfair to say he wasn't ready.

The thinking behind signing Demichelis was to add experience and sign a player that knew how to defend the way Pellegrini instructs the side. Though he took some time to settle in England he's been our most consistent defender over the past 18 months and has helped Mangala settle in the side during a period where Kompany has struggled with form and fitness.

Though the SPL isn't the pinnacle of football, we've sent a young player there and he's flourished and earned a call up to the senior Beligium squad where he's also proven his ability. So far City have looked to build for the future through investment in the academy, and also add a mix of experience and younger players who are ready to make the first team.

At centre back we have that combination. Demichelis, Kompany, Mangala and Denayer. We don't need to add anyone to that mix and we shouldn't look to shun Mangala or Denayer at this stage. This season can be the last with Demichelis' adding his experience and nurturing the others. I'd then either want a more experienced defender to come in and replace him, or to see Kompany step up to that mould.

This season can be the last with Demichelis' adding his experience and nurturing the others. I'd then either want a more experienced defender to come in and replace him, or to see Kompany step up to that mould.

The thing is we're going need to add a CB next season with MD leaving but we don't know who would be available at that time. So while we aren't in desperate need of another one this year, if a top quality player became available, it might be worth buying a year early and giving him this season to settle in.

The thing is we're going need to add a CB next season with MD leaving but we don't know who would be available at that time. So while we aren't in desperate need of another one this year, if a top quality player became available, it might be worth buying a year early and giving him this season to settle in.

I don't think he's anything special and I don't believe there will be a shortage of decent defenders available next summer if we were to wait a year. If he was outstanding then I could understand the move but I'm not 100% convinced. I've been waiting for City to finally establish an academy - first team link. We've not had players quite able to make that step up until recently. Denayer is 100% good enough to make an impact in our first team squad. If we go out and buy another defender, particularly when we spent so much on Mangala last summer, I think that's poor decision making from our Director of Football. We've two young defenders, one with a season in the prem under his belt, one full of confidence off the back of establishing himself in the SPL and on the International stage and we'd be stalling their progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.