Other fans perceptions of us

I manage to talk non raving mad social media obsessed, TS listening Sky sport watching simpletons around when engaged in proper conversation where allowed to give my view of being a 48 year old city fan who grew up watching utd win trebles whilst we fought for survival.
The beauty of those who I mention above is they give themselves away within about 5 sentences and I can fuck them off in an instant and let them know the conversation is over.
Sadly the normal are outnumbered by the idiots at this point due to an organised media onslaught over the years.
It’s quite cathartic watching a red, be it liverpool, utd or arsenal fan being dismayed they haven’t even managed a line on their city bingo.
I'm pretty good at putting down or ignoring the media obsessed fans ( often found in pubs ) using the same technique as you. As a non mancunian I often have to battle alone ,as it were.

When idiots ask me" how long have you been supporting City ?" in a sarcastic loud voice I instantly reply "1976, and 1st match 1980 ..before you were born !"

Then they move onto the 115 charges , what do I think about them , I reply can you name one of the charges? ...cue silence...and I finish that angle of attack by saying " so you don't know what your talking about?"

Depends where I am in the country ... Forest fans used to have a field day with me , they are pretty much silent now...

When in Sheffield the owls, who of course have impressive support esp away from home ,and are full of themselves about it ...I simply say yeah I know all about great support in the lower divisions, did it decades ages ago with City.

When blades get gobby ,and they are usually more grounded than Sheff wed...I let them know pretty sharpish my first visit to Bramhall lane was March 1988 when the cricket ground was still behind the football ground , and I had a pint in the cricketers before the match.... basically in their ground and in their old ,hard man pub ,before they started supporting utd .cue silence.

Banter in Liverpool is a little harder to do, but when redscouse talk of money and history I take them back to 1977 when they smashed the British transfer record to sign Dalglish from Celtic...

Banter in Liverpool is a little harder to do, but when redscouse talk of money and history I take them back to 1977 when they smashed the British transfer record to sign Dalglish from Celtic...

Well before that, they didn't hesitate to smash the £100,000 record for a teenage footballer — nobody had ever paid that before. Lad from Wolves, I forget his name. Somebody on here will know. (Just looked it up: Alun Evans, 1968. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? Replaces memory.)
The big clubs have always spent big. (Don't think Evans did much, in the end.)

As for banter of any kind with Liverpool F.C. fans — good luck with that. It's about as easy as exchanging jokes with a member of the Jim Jones sect.

Well before that, they didn't hesitate to smash the £100,000 record for a teenage footballer — nobody had ever paid that before. Lad from Wolves, I forget his name. Somebody on here will know. (Just looked it up: Alun Evans, 1968. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? Replaces memory.)

As for banter of any kind with Liverpool F.C. fans — good luck with that. It's about as easy as exchanging jokes with a member of the Jim Jones sect.
their idea of banter is silly jokes about the opposition, once they are given a bit back they revert to full on cultist rage, and silly name calling ....... the cheeky lovable chappies

Cheers.but I'll stick to my Kenny Dalglish example.. ,it always works , I don't have to think about remembering his name and everybody in the pub can understand my point .instantly...

I find Newcastle fans in general to be some of the worst towards us. They hated the rags but seem bitter towards our success. I see loads of posts about how we were a small club before the takeover and how big they are....they should go and look back on average attendances because they'll see how much bigger we are than they think. And considering we had another club outside the city winning the lot and they're a one club city it's even more impressive. They're all loving GNIAC's comments on PSR without realising that he's named Newcastle to try and protect himself, but all he cares about is the rags being successful and he's only whingeing because he wants the rags to be able to spend what they want.

I consider myself a City fan but I’m afraid I couldn’t name 5 charges. In fact I couldn’t name 1.
1. Having almost £1bn debt - oh wait, sorry that's another club.
2. Having a leaking roof for several seasons that remains a danger to the health and safety of supporters - oh wait, sorry that's another club.
3. Hacking another club's scouting database - oh wait, sorry that's another club.
4. Being unable to identify supporter who threw a coin filled glass into oppsing fans area injuring young girl - oh wait, sorry that's another club.
5. Not having a large screen viewable to keep fans in the stands informed of ongoing events such as VAR reviews - oh wait, sorry that's some other clubs.

Probably should give up now ;)

Last edited:
I’ve a couple of good friends here who support Liverpool who talk very well about football in general. The rest of them can get fucked.

The Everton and Tranmere fans are much more interesting.

I find Newcastle fans in general to be some of the worst towards us. They hated the rags but seem bitter towards our success. I see loads of posts about how we were a small club before the takeover and how big they are....they should go and look back on average attendances because they'll see how much bigger we are than they think. And considering we had another club outside the city winning the lot and they're a one club city it's even more impressive. They're all loving GNIAC's comments on PSR without realising that he's named Newcastle to try and protect himself, but all he cares about is the rags being successful and he's only whingeing because he wants the rags to be able to spend what they want.
I the late 80s early 90s Newcastle averaged some really low crowds, lower than our average. In 90/91 season their average attendance was 16,860 whilst we averaged 27,874. The last trophy they won was the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup 1969, and that's not really a proper trophy. Last time they won the league was in 1909 and they last lifted the FA Cup in 1955. And they haven't won the League Cup. Only deluded geordies believe they're a bigger club than us.

I thank opposition fans because, without 115, we would not have got 4 in a row.

Remember all fans of the top team get criticised for something. It’s normal. Get used to it. No rival fan ever congratulated the opposition for being great but when they talk to each other they know how good we are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.