Our Club is changing

vitty said:
Give it a few years, it'll start to annoy the fuck out of you when you've fought tough and nail for a ticket to a crucial away game and there's some knobhead in front of you filming the entire game with his camcorder.
Probably less annoying than some of the moaning cunts you sometimes have the misfortune to end up near.

southaustralianblue said:
I think this idea that there is massive city support overseas is not accurate in my experience. I recently came back from 2 months working in vietnam where the locals are all obsessive prem watchers, and did not see a single city shirt amongst a sea of rags, dippers, and cheslski shirts. I spoke to a large number of people in work and social situations and would always raise football as an icebreaker. Not a single city fan. Didn't even see any knockoff shirts in the markets.

Where i now live in south australia, everyone immediately assumes that as I am from mcr that I am a rag, and few have heard of city at all. Another recent experience was that I forgot my god daughters birthday last week and wanted to buy her a city shirt. I normally buy city gear on line but I ventured out into the main sports store in adelaide. Miles of the other top 4, but no city shirts. I visited 4 different shops and drew a blank at each.

We have a long way to go before we even make a dent on the potential overseas support. I think there is some increase in o/s support from the countries where we have signed players but I dont see much evidence of us being on the cusp of world domination

I don't think anyone is saying we are, just that relative to say, 2006, it's a huge increase. Relative to the traditional top four it obviously still has a long way to go. We will more likely get there than not though, Chelsea did.

I'd suggest anyone who supported us through the thin and thinner is wholly entitled to feel some resentment towards someone who jumps on the bandwagon and proclaims their love for City now that we're deemed fashionable.

I know I do, and I'd also suggest that anyone publicly welcoming such people is doing so through gritted teeth, in the reluctant acceptance that it's simply part and parcel of the modern game.

I refuse to take anyone seriously who claims that that resentment isn't applicable to them. At least I'm sincere.

machiavellian said:
I'd suggest anyone who supported us through the thin and thinner is wholly entitled to feel some resentment towards someone who jumps on the bandwagon and proclaims their love for City now that we're deemed fashionable.

I know I do, and I'd also suggest that anyone publicly welcoming such people is doing so through gritted teeth, in the reluctant acceptance that it's simply part and parcel of the modern game.

I refuse to take anyone seriously who claims that that resentment isn't applicable to them. At least I'm sincere.

But if there's resentment, it has to be coupled with a willingness to go back to being a mid-table club. Because the only way we (or anyone, really) can be a sustainable top four club is to have a global fan base. The Sheikh's money was only ever to get us there, not single-handedly keep us there.

machiavellian said:

Just the sort of post I hoped I wouldnt see on here tbh..

machiavellian said:

You can't believe anyone would have a different opinion to you?

moomba said:
The more the merrier.

Everyone of our long term supporters was a new supporter once, even some without a Manc accent.
I was just thinking that. So were they "bloody glory hunters" when they decided to follow City or did they think 'Wow, they're shite, gonna follow them?
We would never be able to compete at the level we are getting accustomed to if we 'only' had our bluer than blue followers.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
bluemoon27 said:
some chinese guy in front of us yesterday at the game and all he did all through the game was taking pictures of anything and everything even the big goodyear balloon hovering above the stadium,with his 4 different cameras he had,he never watched a single minute of the game

Ah so!
Think that was his name

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.